Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Michigan's Next Football Coach
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 2, 2014

Tressel! At least that's who I think they should try to hire.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 2, 2014

His show-cause penalty doesn't expire until 2016, I don't see any major D1 institution hiring him as a coach until then.

I think Tressel still loves tOSU and for the most part the feeling is mutual. Unless he is privately bitter towards tOSU, I can't see him going up north.

While I don't care for that team up north, it really is in the best interest of the conference for them and penn state to be relevant again in football.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 2, 2014

I'm fine with TSUN going 0-12 every year.

If they want to win spend the money and get Harbaugh. He's leaving SF.

Absolutely no way Tress goes there. Quite frankly I don't see him leaving YSU again. He was great for Akron but the eggheads couldn't see outside the box to hire him as Prez.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 2, 2014

I do know this... Gene Smith still has his job!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 3, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I do know this... Gene Smith still has his job!"

BOOM!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 3, 2014

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I'm fine with TSUN going 0-12 every year.
"

I generally don't disagree with Roe's commentary, but I have to completely disagree with this. The B1G needs Michigan to be strong. We need that team back in the national title hunt. For the B1G to rise back to the top as a conference, Michigan needs only lose 1 game a year. I hope Michigan and Nebraska both get great coaches and get their programs turned around. I wish for Wisconsin to continue to quietly be one of the top teams in the nation. I hope Sparty continues to get stronger each year. How great would it be if the Gophers build on this season and become an ongoing threat? And, I hope the Buckeyes beat them all. I'm sick of the SEC getting all of the accolades of being the best D1 conference in football. Pardon my French, but....SCREW the SEC! I want to see B1G football once again thought of the same way everyone knows what B1G wrestling is!

I totally agree with your comment on Tressel though. He ain't coming back to coaching. I have met him several times. If you folks ever get the chance to hear him speak or attend an event he is at, take the time to say hello. He is a very interesting man.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 3, 2014

who will it be, the new Michigan coach??
Answer, Dan Mullen Mississippi St.

at least according to #bookemdano.com

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"who will it be, the new Michigan coach??

at least according to #bookemdano.com"

I was actually hoping for Jeff Stieber.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 3, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

I was actually hoping for Jeff Stieber."

I figured you would want Dan Effing Gable. :)

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 3, 2014

We may be seeing something akin to a modern 10 year war, perhaps not with the same intensity as between Woody and Bo, but leading to an intensification of the rivalry at present.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

I was driving through Columbus earlier, listening to 97.1 (the fan), and they said Vegas odds were 2-1 for Jim Harbaugh, and had Les Miles at 4-1 (I think). According to interviews with Michigan media, folks there are "all-in" on Harbaugh.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Like most Michigan f-ball fans, I like Harbaugh in theory. But he burned out mighty quick in SF. College is about consistency year after year. You need a smart, steady hand at the top.

If we get Harbaugh, I think there's a lot of risk. Truthfully, Hoke was perfect except for one problem....he wasn't a good coach.

Ok, if I can't have Jeff Stieber, I'll take Kim Stone.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

i still think its Dan Mullen of Miss St--

u right could be Harbaugh, he would be great for Mich because he has a big name and did great at Stanford. Some guys better college coach than pro. Steve Spurier, Dennis Erickson, NICK SABAN, all guys who won college national championships but failed in the pros.

But i cant believe Harbaugh will admit failure in the NFL and leave. Michigan requires some rebuilding too, no QB.

Addazio from Boston College and Schiano from Tampa Bay Bucs are no-names. Michigan after going thru 2 head coaches in 7 years needs a NAME -- Harbaugh a big name or Les Miles of LSU a big name but Miles has a great program at LSU with a great young team.

Mullen became somewhat of a name this year, he is my bet-- or Harbaugh if he swallows his pride...BobP

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Part of that conversation yesterday told me things I didn't know. Les Miles has interviewed for Michigan twice and thought he was getting it when Hoke was picked. The thinking is that he would love to make Michigan his final home as a coach. Not just love to be at Michigan, but would KILL for it.

It was interesting to hear.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 4, 2014

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Part of that conversation yesterday told me things I didn't know. Les Miles has interviewed for Michigan twice and thought he was getting it when Hoke was picked. The thinking is that he would love to make Michigan his final home as a coach. Not just love to be at Michigan, but would KILL for it.

It was interesting to hear."

if Les Miles previouly interviewed for Michigan it means 97thefan knows something no national media has ever mentioned. Based on comments Les Miles made back then i doubt he did interview for Michigan, though it is his alma mater (Miles is an Elyria native btw). Talk show guys just blather sometimes.

Miles had a great gig at LSU, won a national championship there beating Ohio state after 2007 season-- he would have been applying in 2008, thus i doubt it. And Michigan would not have turned down the national champ winning coach-- think about it.

i think after firing RichRod-- now a Coach of the Year candidate at U of Arizona -- after firing Rich Rodriguez, after only giving him 3 years, i think when the Michigan job opened up Mich found the list of candidates less than they expected thus Hoke was selected from a weak field. ...BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next