Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Vegas- Did it strengthen or weaken your opinion of tOSU's potential this season
Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

I am sure this is being discussed in the Vegas thread, and I'm not sure exactly where I stand yet. Curious to what the other .Netters think after the 1st major competition of the year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Vegas- Did it strengthen or weaken your opinion of tOSU's potential this season
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

Simple answer: Add Hunter, BoJo and Demas to the Bucks and they probably win Vegas. That strengthens my belief they can win it all.

But there are a lot of questions:

1) Hunter has been out all year. How bad is his injury? Can he come back from it and be a top guy at a deep 149 wt?

2) As Campbell has pointed out, we know BoJo is really good. But we have never seen him competing several times over a weekend against top D1 wrestlers. How will he do? Can he wrestle well after a loss?

3) DiJulius and Demas have differing styles but both are likely to have a lot of tight matches in crunch time. Can they find ways to score/win several close ones when it matters most? These two can both place at NCAA's. If they do, Bucks are much more likely to win.

Tavanello and Martin both finished strong in Vegas. That's a good sign. Courts has got to show more energy esp. in the top position.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

1. MINN
2a. Iowa
2b. Ohio State

Not much will change me from that top three until I see a reason to make a change. (I have a feeling getting Hunter and BoJo back will have a bigger impact on the Ohio State line-up than just those two weight classes. I think those two bring an excitement and energy that (HOPEFULLY) the team feeds off. Perhaps analogous to having the ace pitcher in the rotation for that big game.)

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on December 8, 2014

My stock has risen in this team. The way they battled through adversity on Saturday finishing strong through the consi rounds, and then you add in the missing key parts of the team I was truly impressed. Add on top of that the ability to preform to that level with losing a teammate, and friend. I also liked what I saw with JDJ in his consi finals against Earl Hall. Johnny seemed very frustrated in the quarters match, and seemed to open up the offense after that match. I feel like that match may be a turning point for him. He will need to open up to AA come march. Like Johnny everyone finished the tournament strong.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 9, 2014

If you would have told me before the season that the Bucks would take second in Vegas without Hunter, BoJo and Demas....yada, yada, yada.

I agree with Matt. The Bucks have what it takes to win it all.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 9, 2014

It strengthened my opinion of a team championship. My big question is how bad was the injury to Bojo's toe. If it is bad enough, then it affects his offense for the rest of the season and he is not at full capacity and he does not finish the season as high as an otherwise healthy Bojo.

His points matter.

I have a feeling that Hunter will be fine in March. He is a Stieber.

Everyone's points matter.

I believe that everyone on this team has bought into 2015 being the year.

I am of the opinion that everyone scores points at the NCAAs. Everyone on the team knows who was redshirted and for what purpose. There are a lot of belief dynamics that are coming into play, which I believe manifested at Las Vegas. There are always going to be quite a few hardships to endure (like any other year)and this year has been no exception.

I am really looking forward to the Mark Martin v Davonte Mahomes matchups (plural) To me, these are his biggest tests and the indicator whether he is ready to AA this year. Conference opponent, similar place on the development curve; few details separating a W from an L.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on December 9, 2014

SIMPLE METRICS!

Minny beat second-place by 24 points.

DO YOU BELIEVE IF HUNTER, JOSH, and BO WERE HEALTHY AND SCORED AT LEAST 24 POINTS BETWEEN THEM, THEN OSU IS IN THE RUNNING FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Hunter could score 24 points by himself in the NCAA tournament.

► Add to the Discussion