Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: ESPN 30 for 30: Wrestling Documentary?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 26, 2014

The ESPN 30 for 30 series is outstanding; if you haven't seen any of them (they are on both Netflix and youtube), I highly recommend them. ("Broke" and "You Don't Know Bo" should whet your appetite.)

With all due respect, I'd love for them to do a wrestling documentary that isn't about Gable, Rulon, or a handicapped wrestler.

Which wrestler, rivalry, or team do you think would make a great ESPN 30 for 30
documentary?

As homerish as it is, I think Tom Ryan's life would make for a good candidate?

Or who were the two (2) Greco guys who filed the lawsuit to make the Olympic team?

Admiral Colin Kilrain (Navy SEAL/AA @ Lehigh)?

Whatever Hawkeye team had the most "characters" on it (or the Brands brothers)?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bill Splete added to this discussion on December 26, 2014

John smith and their entire family, but I think the Jordan family would be an ideal 30 for 30. You have the dad's mat success and real life success, congressman and legendary high school coach, but maybe we wait and see how many NCAA titles they can add to before they tell the story , it's been unbelievable so far.

The mark perry story on flo is one of the best, most motivating story I have see. Very we'll done, now that's a 30 for 30 his going against family tradition and achieving his goals amazing person.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 26, 2014

The 30 by 30 Rand university about Randy Moss is very good!

Maybe Lee Kemp would be a good subject.

I agree about the Mark Perry video, that is the best video I've seen on Flo!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 27, 2014

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"John smith and their entire family, but I think the Jordan family would be an ideal 30 for 30. You have the dad's mat success and real life success, congressman and legendary high school coach, but maybe we wait and see how many NCAA titles they can add to before they tell the story , it's been unbelievable so far."

Good call, on the Jordans.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 27, 2014

"30 for 30" is a great series however its not interested in mere success stories ---

30 for 30 specializes in Greek tragedies, the personal flaws that bring the mighty down, the guy who had it all and blew it, or as Brando said in On the Waterfront "i coulda been a contender" ---

or perhaps the bad hand that fate dealt to someone that deserved alot better. In this regard i'm thinking of the 1980 Olympic team, the team that was not allowed to compete, the ultimate bad hand dealt story. Russ Hellickson & Lee Kemp both on that team.

imo here's one of the best 30 for 30's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqABKGqVekw

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 27, 2014

I have thought for years that the Monroeville Four is just an incredible story that would make a great 30 for 30. School had never had a state champ. Then, in four years, crowns four four-timers. Not only that, but they would all attain the #1 ranking in the nation for at least one point in their HS careers. After they graduate, back out of the spotlight.

How did irrelevant Monroeville wind up being an environment that would foster such athletic development? What became of them afterward.

With Logan in his senior season, the fall would have been the perfect time to release such a film.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 27, 2014

Very nice addition, Ben. All that time hamging out with Ransick is paying off!!! ;-)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 27, 2014

the Monroville 4 is a good thought, i get your point, you're right it has potential --

30 for 30 does some "feel good stuff" however mostly prefers controversy and tragedy, some fall from grace- they love the "he had it all then blew it", "fame ruined him", "he was betrayed", "he fell victim to his own dark instincts".

some of the well-known 30 for 30 stories ive seen:
...the trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the LA Kings and the effect it had on Gretzky and the shell-shocked fans in Edmonton.

...The death of Len Bias from a cocaine-induced heart attack, days after Boston selected him as the second overall pick in the NBA draft.

...The life of Jimmy the Greek Snyder, from Steubenville street kid to his celebrity tenure on The NFL Today, from which he was fired and then destroyed personally. (Would he be fired today?????)

...The racial and cultural revolution of the city of Miami during the 1980s cocaine wars as experienced within the U of Miami football dynasty.

...The trial of Virginia high school athlete Allen Iverson, convicted for his role in a racially tinged brawl, and its impact on both the community and on Iverson's life.

...The OJ Simpson saga, nuff said.

...The friendship of boxer Mike Tyson and rapper Tupac Shakur and the night Shakur was murdered in Las Vegas.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

After hearing some of the other ideas, and the strong personality and difficult life circumstances involved in some of these stories, my original thought may not quite match up.

However, I have been intrigued by the success of Cornell and their affiliation with the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club in developing a continual top 5 National Wrestling Team in the 'EAST', far away from the dominant conferences in the Big 10 and the Big 12.

We have heard of the struggles of big-time athletic programs in other sports to recruit and keep top athletes academically elgible, and Cornell thrives in the Ivy league on a national scale in arguably the toughest mental sport of all in college.

Coach Koll has done a great job at that university.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"After hearing some of the other ideas, and the strong personality and difficult life circumstances involved in some of these stories, my original thought may not quite match up.

However, I have been intrigued by the success of Cornell and their affiliation with the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club in developing a continual top 5 National Wrestling Team in the 'EAST', far away from the dominant conferences in the Big 10 and the Big 12.

We have heard of the struggles of big-time athletic programs in other sports to recruit and keep top athletes academically elgible, and Cornell thrives in the Ivy league on a national scale in arguably the toughest mental sport of all in college.

Coach Koll has done a great job at that university."

Good one. They could start with Bill Koll, segue to Rob Koll, then finish with the Cornell program.

(I just watched "Slaying The Badger" on 30/30 about Greg LeMond and the Tour de France...fascinating.)

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

Doubtful 30 for 30 would do a story about John Trenge, since there is already a documentary (Veritas), but I think his career fit's that Greek Tragedy template Bob P mentioned.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

Leo, tell us more about Trenge-- i know he was 2X NCAA finalist for Lehigh, he was Cael's last victim, and he lost sight in one eye, what else?

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

He had detached retina's in both eyes I believe. Wore some funky homemade eye protection, opponents would pull and paw at constantly. This led to some anger issues, and a suspension.

The film also focuses on the frustration that comes from getting so close to a title (2nd, 2nd, 3rd) but never actually achieving the goal.

The film is very well done, similar to the 30 for 30 style. Here is the trailer for it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wauRp9RVkqo

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

yep Trenge lost in the finals to 2 of the best, Cael and Damion Hahn. ---btw 1997 Ironman finals 189, Andy Hrovat st Eds over Jon Trenge Parkland PA, 5-3 OT

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 28, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""30 for 30" is a great series however its not interested in mere success stories ---

30 for 30 specializes in Greek tragedies, the personal flaws that bring the mighty down, the guy who had it all and blew it, or as Brando said in On the Waterfront "i coulda been a contender" ---

or perhaps the bad hand that fate dealt to someone that deserved alot better. In this regard i'm thinking of the 1980 Olympic team, the team that was not allowed to compete, the ultimate bad hand dealt story. Russ Hellickson & Lee Kemp both on that team.

imo here's one of the best 30 for 30's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqABKGqVekw"

Brother Bob, check 30 for 30 "Youngstown Boys" if you haven't seen it...tOSU, Clarett, and Tressel...

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next