Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa in 2014-2015
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

ah yes, relax -- and remember stir don't shake.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

What a crowd today. Does anyone know the attendance?

Todays match was all too similar to watching a Browns game. The early lead. The costly mistake that swings the momentum of the game/ match into the other direction. Beloved Browns/ Buckeyes come up short. HEARTBREAKING.

Hats off to Iowa, They wrestled tough. Pushed Ohio Sate around the mat most of the day. They fought like hell to not give up take downs when most of the crowd thought it was a sure thing. Dominated on the mat from top and bottom except for 2 matches. If they are ranked #1, it does not shock me one bit.

That being said tOSU was right with them. It definitely would have been nice to see more offense (125 184 & 197) but that is easier said than done against a very good Iowa team.

A couple things that stuck out to me.
1) Overall tOSU is not very good from the top position. Logan obviously is outstanding. BO and Snyder did well today but Iowa seemed to get out without much effort overall.
2) Hunter reminded me of Cam during his sophomore year. That worries me. If he can turn it around tOSU should be in the conversation to win it. If he can't a top three finish would seem unlikely.

Just my 2 cents. What a great atmosphere today, Go Bucks!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Is Gilman NaTo's white whale? Even in losses this year to Waters, Dance, etc. Nate has scored in bunches. Gilman really seems to control the ties and positioning.

However, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Nate placer higher at nationals. But I think Gilman is a tough match-up for some reason.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Patrick Niemann's post:

"What a crowd today. Does anyone know the attendance?

Todays match was all too similar to watching a Browns game. The early lead. The costly mistake that swings the momentum of the game/ match into the other direction. Beloved Browns/ Buckeyes come up short. HEARTBREAKING.

Hats off to Iowa, They wrestled tough. Pushed Ohio Sate around the mat most of the day. They fought like hell to not give up take downs when most of the crowd thought it was a sure thing. Dominated on the mat from top and bottom except for 2 matches. If they are ranked #1, it does not shock me one bit.

That being said tOSU was right with them. It definitely would have been nice to see more offense (125 184 & 197) but that is easier said than done against a very good Iowa team.

A couple things that stuck out to me.
1) Overall tOSU is not very good from the top position. Logan obviously is outstanding. BO and Snyder did well today but Iowa seemed to get out without much effort overall.
2) Hunter reminded me of Cam during his sophomore year. That worries me. If he can turn it around tOSU should be in the conversation to win it. If he can't a top three finish would seem unlikely.

Just my 2 cents. What a great atmosphere today, Go Bucks!"

www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com says 6,558 attendance. Sure looked bigger to me.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"It looked like burak had already chose down so Snyder tried to game the system and shake out a shoulder. However, in reality it was his choice which he then gave up. I really am attempting to bite my tongue on the coaching "tactics" of the buckeyes but the Martin match is inexcusable. Tosu looks lost in match management."

What coaching "tactics" in the Martin match are you referring to as being "inexcusable"?
There was a break in the action with a minute to go, with riding time eliminated and Martin trailing 3 to 2. Martin looked directly at the bench where the coaches signaled to kick him. For whatever reason Martin opted not to do this, and then ten or seconds later gave up the simple switch. Bummer, because kicking him would have been the right thing to do, and basically would have given him his only real chance to win, or at least to get it into overtime.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I think we all need to relax. You don't win a national title in a dual meet. I don't think Iowa can out score us in the Big Tens or Nationals. The vets like Demas, JDJ, and Logan are doing their jobs through experience. Kyle is an 18 year old freshman with minimal experience on the D1 collegiate level. Nathan is in arguably the deepest weight class in the country as a redshirt. Both our going through some disappointments, however this will make them better. Their track record shows they will overcome these obstacles. It's not like we lost to some chopped liver today. Iowa is the number 1 ranked team right now. Before Tom Ryan walked in the door a National title wasn't in reach. My biggest concern is Hunter if he gets back into the AA form the Bucks will be right there."

I agree with you 100%. The pre-season optimism is based on the 10 guys we saw tonight, and we all assumed they would be healthy. I was more "disappointed" in the NaTo & Snyder losses, not Hunter Stiebers loss. We've seen him beat Kellan Russell, Mitchell Port, Mike Mangrum, Nick Dardanes... The situation reminds me of Mike Pucillo's senior year when he was losing to guys he teched the year before. He wasn't 100%. And just one last rant, Logan Stieber is a HAMMER! He will be missed next year. He's spoiled us.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Here is a positive note:

At least there were no shameful forfeits to endure in this dual meet. All the paying fans in the building got to see Logan Stieber destroy a top ten opponent with the greatest of ease. Years from now they can say they saw the Great Stieber wrestle.

David Rourke added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

IMHO, I would think it would be best for Hunter & ultimately the team, to have him complete in some open tourney's, to get the confidence up, before facing hammers like the Mizz kid and everyone in the Big 10...

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

#1 Hunter is not healthy obviously., and he is in a - of a weight class .Everyone on here makes it seem so simple and its not. We put someone else out there and they get majored.
#2 Nathan and kyle are,very young . Young enough to make me feel good (
#3 tell me the last time we had 6558 fans at a match ? We lost to the number 1 team in the country and i was pissed there wasn't more fans in attendance.
#5 It takes a little time to build something good without your name being Iowa or Cael .Tom Ryan is doing a great job . Whens the last time we had an in to the Graham pipeline..
#6 with that,being said icant help but feel for the wrestlers. Lots,of pressure and we aren't close to being healthy..Ten yrs ago we are talking about winning 157 and 184 against Iowa...Everyone agreed we would be there in the hunt if we was healthy..we aren't...still two months to go.
my
My rant is Im not happy with the loss but we aren't far from where we need to be..

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

In the end we lost a match we should have won. Perhaps that is the disappointment.

TOSU needed one win from one of its freshman captains who both lost, Tomasello in a toss up match and Snyder in a match he was favored. JDJ really set us up to win. Demas wrestled well. That inside trip was slick. Bo looked great, though he looked a little gased at the end. The major might have been important if things went a little differently.

Martin and Courts aren't close to finishing matches, though given the circumstances Martin did his part against Evans keeping it to a regular decision. What's wrong with these guys? Same old thing: apparent talent and no gas tank.

Iowa "won the third" in most matches. I was concerned going in that they were far more battle tested -- and trained -- coming off the Midlands and Rutgers. Conversely, some of our key guys weren't. That was a long layoff.

I blame Urb. I think he left halfway through the match.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

I don't have much to add that has not already been said. I was surprised/disappointed with the the lack of offense from Courts, but i will leave it at that.

Additionally... if there are any Iowa fans that read this forum, please learn what Stalling is. Take a referee's class and figure it out. Until then, quit crying for it during every match. Thank you.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

I don't comment on any of my sons wrestling on forums it can get too personal. That being said, I would like to comment on my 2 year old because he is not wrestling yet. He won't tell you how old he is when asked howerver he yelled 2! When our guys were taking the Iowa wrestlers down. Plus, I think he understands the concept of stalling better than Tom Brands.

Lou-- I don't know your 2 year old, but it would be my guess that he whines less than the Brands do, and probably laughs and smiles a whole lot more!

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

I had to mute the twitter feed from the Iowa wrestling page I follow because their poster (Mark Ironside I believe) was over the top saying our guys were stalling (starting w/ the match at 125). Funny thing is, at one point he said what everyone in the wrestling nation outside of Iowa says about them but in his mind he was proving how their guy was attacking while our guy was stalling. I believe the tweet was something like "so and so (the Iowa kid) isn't really doing anything but he's pushing forward and you can guess what the other guy is doing." So, by his own admission their kid wasn't attacking and was simply pushing but that constituted offense/lack of stalling?
What happened after/during the 133lb match w/ Tom Brands (or whichever coach it was)? I read on twitter that one of the coaches did something that could be interpreted as disrespectful to Johnni and/or tOSU. Just wondering what it was.

Mike,

I didn't see what the Iowa coach did or said, but I J Jaggers was not to pleased with it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next