Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Southern Scuffle
Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on January 1, 2015

Cleveland State puts two into the quarterfinals on day one.

Ben Willeford defeated nationally ranked #5 Jordan Conaway with an overtime rideout in the round of 16. I predict Nathan Tomasello will win by major over Conaway next week.

Riley Shaw has held his seed thus far with his most recent victory coming by a peculiar injury default over Ethan Hayes of Virginia (Trackwrestling has it wrong right now).

As a side note, Mike Carlone also had an impressive win over Ohio high school native, former national qualifier, and .net poster Brandon Gambucci of Duke.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 1, 2015

Quote from Brandon Sommers's post:

"...
As a side note, Mike Carlone also had an impressive win over Ohio high school native, former national qualifier, and .net poster Brandon Gambucci of Duke."

I'm sure he's going to love logging in to read this!

No worries. He'll go to work on Monday. Best of luck, B.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on January 1, 2015

Please forgive me if that sounded disrespectful. I was simply posting to show CSU's success today. Since I recognize what a great competitor Brandon is, I knew it was a great win for Mike Carlone. I hope his injury isn't too serious. He's had some rotten luck in that department thus far in his career.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 1, 2015

No disrespect read into it. You noted the result, and I went with it.

He's a competitor. He gets it. He'll improve.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on January 1, 2015

Ian Miller defaulted with an injury to his left elbow. If I'm not mistaken, that's the same arm that was injured last year.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

Mizzou is a team to put in the national title picture. 7 in the semis at the Scuffle, depth up and down the line up.

3 potential high point scorers at the national tournament in Water, Houdashelt, and Cox.

Of note - PSU's freshman class looks ridiculous. True FR (wrestling unattached) Nolf and Nevills both in the semis.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Mizzou is a team to put in the national title picture. 7 in the semis at the Scuffle, depth up and down the line up.

3 potential high point scorers at the national tournament in Water, Houdashelt, and Cox.

Of note - PSU's freshman class looks ridiculous. True FR (wrestling unattached) Nolf and Nevills both in the semis."

I thought Nevills looked good this morning. He needs some physical maturation to compete for a title. He's not there yet, but he has the skill-set.

Dylan Alton lost in the qtrs. I wonder if he will make it back to the upper part of the podium again?

Marstellar (the other OSU) looked good this morning as well. Some folks were down on him early in the season, but I think those were folks that just don't understand what the transition from HS phenom to D1 collegiate title contender involves. I don't know if he will compete for a title next year (no one does), but he has already made some needed adjustments from his early losses. Anxious to watch him in the semifinals in a hour or so.

Look, I don't want to be negative against any college kid, but if you get to the 3rd period with Alton regardless of score you have a chance to win. The kid from Citadel literally just grabbed Alton and threw him down and pinned him.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Mizzou is a team to put in the national title picture. 7 in the semis at the Scuffle, depth up and down the line up.

Of note - PSU's freshman class looks ridiculous. True FR (wrestling unattached) Nolf and Nevills both in the semis."

I thought Nevills looked good this morning. He needs some physical maturation to compete for a title. He's not there yet, but he has the skill-set.

Dylan Alton lost in the qtrs. I wonder if he will make it back to the upper part of the podium again?

Marstellar (the other OSU) looked good this morning as well. Some folks were down on him early in the season, but I think those were folks that just don't understand what the transition from HS phenom to D1 collegiate title contender involves. I don't know if he will compete for a title next year (no one does), but he has already made some needed adjustments from his early losses. Anxious to watch him in the semifinals in a hour or so."

Seems apparent the weight cut affected him. The question is what does he do now with Dierenger coming back next year?

Sulzer dropped Marstellar 10-3. Chance has some growing room, but he had a nice quarterfinal win though.

Marsden gave Nevills a rude awakening to high level D1 285 collegiate wrestling 11-3.

Scuffle finals were outstanding. Once the Kindig-Houdashelt match is up on Flo be sure to watch.

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on January 3, 2015

Mike wrestled an awesome match! Unfortunately I dislocated my fibular head and popped my LCL away from the bone, so I'll be out for a while, but I should be back by ACC's/NCAA's I do believe. CSU looked like they had a lot of tough guys at scuffle!

John DiJulius added to this discussion on January 3, 2015

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

"Mike wrestled an awesome match! Unfortunately I dislocated my fibular head and popped my LCL away from the bone, so I'll be out for a while, but I should be back by ACC's/NCAA's I do believe. CSU looked like they had a lot of tough guys at scuffle!"

Get well soon Brandon!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 3, 2015

Is anyone else amazed by PSU? In a "down" year, they win the scuffle.

Arguably, their wrestlers are the most well coached and prepared in D1. They get a lot out of guys like Beitz, Conaway and Gingrich. What is it that sets them apart? Why do they seem to get so much out of everyone in the room?

Rex talks a lot about the importance of using practice time to fix specific weaknesses and address situations where a wrestler struggles--as opposed to the old "we're going five matches in a row--everyone push hard."

I can't help but think that PSU has a different practice philosophy than everyone else. I'd love to watch them workout.

► Add to the Discussion