Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: As A Michigan Football Fan but also a Wrestling Fan...
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

I will be rooting with all my heart for the Buckeyes to beat Oregon for the NC. I DESPISE Oregon for dropping wrestling while adding baseball and lying the whole time about their intentions. Buckeye football fan--esp. the bitter ones from Cleveland--can be unrelenting douchebags but Ohio State supports its wrestling program. Oregon kicked its team to the curb.

Go Bucks (for one game only).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

Thanks for your support. But regardless of the Oregon dynamic, wouldn't you be pulling for OSU anyway, as a fan of the B1G?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

Complicated question to answer. In a vacuum--yes. Having endured a lot of silliness from some Ohio State fans--who take the game WAY too seriously--sometimes I let my integrity slide.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Buckeye football fan--esp. the bitter ones from Cleveland--can be unrelenting douchebags but Ohio State supports its wrestling program."

Hank, u refer to "bitter" buckeye fans from Cleveland. U gotta understand our "bitterness", yes i'm bitter, after all since the Tressel era started, Ohio State is 12 and 2 vs Michigan--- who wouldnt be "BITTER"??

Oh sure the grief counselors always say "time heals", but i just cant come to grips with it. i've asked myself how could we lose those 2 games? (And since u ask, yes it took me years of martinis to blot out the UGH John Cooper era.)

Oregon, they deserve a title if they get one, i will be disappointed but wont be bitter. However losing to Michigan is another matter. ...s/BobP

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 2, 2015

"Complicated question to answer. In a vacuum--yes. Having endured a lot of silliness from some Ohio State fans--who take the game WAY too seriously--sometimes I let my integrity slide."

ALL major college football programs take it too seriously or it wouldn't be a billion dollar industry which permits a struggling program to overpay for an alum to coach that they could have had cheaper years ago.

Or hire a coach after Bruce simply because he beat an arch rival a time or two: the ultimate transitive property that never applied.

It was great to see the Big Ten do well yesterday.

Go Bucks!

John Flanigan added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

"Complicated question to answer. In a vacuum--yes. Having endured a lot of silliness from some Ohio State fans--who take the game WAY too seriously--sometimes I let my integrity slide."

As an OSU fan living in Michigan, I understand this completely. I know there are many obnoxious Buckeye fans, but the arrogance of the Wolverine fans is rather wearing as well. Not sure if I could root for the Wolverines while living here, but maybe against Oregon I could.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

A good friend of mine is a Michigan fan, and we would routinely exchange phone calls after THE GAME. Generally, the fan of the losing team could expect his phone to ring shortly after the end of the game.

This was particularly pleasant for my friend during the Cooper years, but it become rather irritating for him after Tressel took over. "OUR big game is the one against Michigan State," became the bailout reply.

We, or rather "I", don't make those phone calls anymore. He now claims that he doesn't care about the rivalry. We are still good friends, but now we talk about family and things like that- and not immediately after the game.

Now that Michigan itself has taken the game seriously enough (sorry Hank) to pay the necessary dollars to get Jim Harbaugh to return to Ann Arbor, I can envision a day when my friend and I will exchange those post-game phone calls once again.

Addendum:

For those who think Michigan is paying Harbaugh $8 million a year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/harbaughs-michigan-contract-has-base-value-of-40-1-million/

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

40 million over 7 years plus possible bonuses, puts him at the top with Nick Sabin who has PROVEN he is the best in college football with 4 national titles in the past dozen years (1 at LSU, 3 Bama). Will Harbaugh deliver that???

Michigan overpaid based on coaching record, because they were desparate. What has Harbaugh coached on the field? Very good but far from great. He turned around a bad Stanford program, was 29--21 at Stanford. Only 8 & 8 this year with 49ers who didnt fight to keep him, neither did any other NFL team.

Michigan is a GREAT school, i never slur them in any way. However, Michigan obviously takes their football as serious as anyone else, which is fine but why pretend otherwise?

Michigan vastly overpaid based on Harbaugh acomplishments because their admin, many alum and boosters demanded they beat Ohio St (which usually leads to other glory) -and price be damned. ...s/BobP

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Bob, I disagree I think many NFL teams were interested in coach Harbaugh. What about the three straight NFC Championship appearances, and Super bowl appearance the 49ers made under him. The 49ers had been a losing franchise for over a decade until Harbaugh stepped in. I think Michigan aggressively went after their man. What is considered over paying?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 4, 2015

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Bob, I disagree I think many NFL teams were interested in coach Harbaugh.

I think Michigan aggressively went after their man. What is considered over paying?"

Chris, i said Harbaugh was very good but not proven great. A fair statement, i gave him credit.

"Great" is a adjective commonly thrown around but rarely deserving. Sabin is -proven- great, only Bear Bryant with 6 has won more college football national titles than Sabin . And Sabin has done it at 2 different schools.

Michigan is paying him Sabin-money well before he earned it and with no certainty he will come close to earning it. Michigan has every right to do that, but let's not pretend only Ohio state fans are serious about winning..

► Add to the Discussion