Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Why so negative?
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Coach Ryan was absolutely waving his hands in the universal coach speak of "cut him". Martin came back center and got on top. Not sure why.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Peering into my cristal ball and reading Mark Martin's mind...

Martin has always struggled on top. His inability to ride has cost him many matches. My guess is that he and several other Bucks (Kyle Snyder for one) have been working hard to improve in this area. It may be that Martin was so focused on his top work that he was not paying attention to anything else. If we're looking for silver linings, it was good to see him ride for over a minute against a tough Mike Evans. Unfortunately, his only chance to win was to cut and get a TD. He goofed it up.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Some thoughts...

Bojo looks almost like he is in championship form. I was super impressed with what he did to Nick Moore. Everything was great but his feet were not moving as well later in the match which is to be expected after the lay off. Plus, he is wrestling a guy that won't get tired. All in all, that was a spectacular performance. If he makes an adjustment with the wrist on top (ala Logan Stieber)he gets another turn and has a major by the end of 1st.

Logan is what wrestlers aspire to be.

JDJ and Demas have upped their games and look great. They both AA this year.

Hunter is injured and his position is suspect as a result. If he is at full capacity, he AAs, but he is not. All we can hope for is that is that his injury heals otherwise wrestling injured sucks. He is more than just hurt.

I see the frustration in some of the other things.

At least with Snyder, he knows the rule and it is a lot better to happen now rather than later.

Courts and Martin. So close, yet far away. Really close to being really good but some big mistakes.

I believe Nathan Tomasello will AA this year. Unfortunately, he has to go through a lot of adversity to learn. Everyone's journey is different and his road is paved with rogues waiting to jump on any opening. I have the greatest respect for a guy that gets tested at every turn and keeps working toward the goal of greatness.

He is at a brutally contested weight class. He does have to rely on his offense on his feet to win. He cant let those guys great at handfighting slow him down for 7 minutes. That 5th or 6th minute is when position falters.

Iowa is stacked at 174-285 and will likely AA at all of those weights. It does hurt to watch Martin and Courts lose to those guys because they are close in athleticism and skill but college tactics separate them.

Burak is legit, which further reinforces that Snyder could be in the finals this year. Snyder is doing a nice job with the collar tie, low single same side (Cael). Burak did not know what hit him with that leg attack, which was totally finishable.

Telford is a stud as evidenced by that win over McMullen in the Midlands final.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Alright...I've had 24hrs to digest this and here is a positive from the match yesterday.
For awhile we've lamented the fact that when Iowa sends in lower/unranked wrestlers they find a way to beat our guys. Well, this year that didn't happen. Most of the match went to script but there were two "upsets" as JDJ and BoJo were both the lower ranked wrestlers. Mix in NaTo and Kyle just getting edged out and we see significant improvement in that area.

I'm not a fan of that Gilman kid at all. Seems like an arrogant punk based on the interviews of his I've watched (international matches and Iowa ones). So, I hated that NaTo lost to him but I'd take Nate over that other kid every day of the week and twice on Sunday. You don't have the talent Nate has coupled w/ the work ethic he has and not eventually break though. Sooner rather than later he'll be the one everyone is chasing. Glad he's a Buckeye.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Was the guy Courts wrestled ranked?

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Yes, he's ranked #7 in the poll I saw, believe he may be higher in others. Spoke with a # of folks from Iowa, they seem to be as excited about him - Brooks - as anybody else on their team, they think he's a total stud.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Adding something to this topic of why so negative: I positively enjoyed Bo's performance. Bo said after the match “I tried to come out and score as many points as I could. I had some takedowns, but I got a little tired, I still went out there and got it done.” Love that power half, reminded me of Lance Palmer, a punishing ride with back points! And he admitted he was tired, which was understandable considering the layoff. Comes out and takes it to the #7 guy in the weight class.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2015

Rex: Thanks for posting. I really feel you summed up many of these wrestlers nicely. Good, good stuff esp. Hunter's situation.

Loved your comment about how head/hands guys like Gilman will likely break position by the 5-6th minute. That was a nugget of wisdom.

John Robert Dula added to this discussion on January 6, 2015

Latest InterMat Rankings

125 up to 7 was 8
133 up to 4 was 9
157 up to 5 was 6
165 up to 6 was 9
184 up to 11 was 12

149 6 was 5
174 13 was 12

141 1 was 1
197 7 was 7
285 10 was 10

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 6, 2015

Hey!!! No one dropped! That's a positive.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on January 7, 2015

I think the answer to the question of why the negativity is this.

When we think about this OSU team and it's potential and what we as fans think they are capable of we create very high expectations. When we see their performance with our eyes it creates doubt.

All of that said the potential for success is still there its just the losses (individual and team) have created doubt from the fans.

Try not to hit the panic button, sit back enjoy the ride not just the destination. Then in March we will know whether our hearts were right or if the panic button was justified.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 7, 2015

well said

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on January 7, 2015

I understand attempting to have tempered expectations. However, the coach stated that he truly believed the team would not lose a competition this year. If his "coach speak" is that enthusiastic then obviously a fan can expect high success.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on January 7, 2015

10 reasons to R-E-L-A-X
1) It is the first week of January.
2) Every wrestler is improving as the season matures.
3) The team has only wrestled one event with their full lineup.
4) No titles have ever been won in January.
5) As good as the three freshman are, they will improve the most over the next 2 1/2 months.
6) Hunter will be just fine, his last name is Stieber
7) Success at the NCAA's looks completely different than how a team performs in duals.
8) This team is built for tournaments.
9) This team is built to peak in March.
10) Everyone knows what the expectations are. This is OSU's time, OSU's year.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 7, 2015

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"10 reasons to R-E-L-A-X
1) It is the first week of January.
2) Every wrestler is improving as the season matures.
3) The team has only wrestled one event with their full lineup.
4) No titles have ever been won in January.
5) As good as the three freshman are, they will improve the most over the next 2 1/2 months.
6) Hunter will be just fine, his last name is Stieber
7) Success at the NCAA's looks completely different than how a team performs in duals.
8) This team is built for tournaments.
9) This team is built to peak in March.
10) Everyone knows what the expectations are. This is OSU's time, OSU's year."

You should do like motivational speaking and stuff! :-D

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next