Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: High School Discussion
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

Per BobP: we need more high school news.

I completely agree. These state duals are fantastic, but many may not realize that there are a handful of DII teams that compete in the DIII Team Dual Tournament? Why? Because there are a number of DIII teams that don't have 8 guys on their roster so they can't compete in the duals - or they are choosing not to compete. Which leads me to my question, why doesn't the OHSAA allow small schools to combine forces to have full, competitive (all relative of course) teams? Minnesota does this and it works well. Not many forfeits in duals with this in place. Duals are fantastic for wrestling and some changes should be made to make them more relevant and fan-friendly.

Best example of co-op school: when I was growing up in MN, Holdingford and Upsala school districts joined forces for wrestling: and the Hold-Up Bandits were formed.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Per BobP: we need more high school news.

I completely agree. These state duals are fantastic, but many may not realize that there are a handful of DII teams that compete in the DIII Team Dual Tournament? Why? Because there are a number of DIII teams that don't have 8 guys on their roster so they can't compete in the duals - or they are choosing not to compete. Which leads me to my question, why doesn't the OHSAA allow small schools to combine forces to have full, competitive (all relative of course) teams? Minnesota does this and it works well. Not many forfeits in duals with this in place. Duals are fantastic for wrestling and some changes should be made to make them more relevant and fan-friendly.

Best example of co-op school: when I was growing up in MN, Holdingford and Upsala school districts joined forces for wrestling: and the Hold-Up Bandits were formed."

Great idea. Keeps the sport stronger for sure.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

Brady,

I remember you describing this in detail back in the day...it sounded like it was really exciting and a fan favorite.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

We saw more kids coming out when the schools combined as opposed to when separated.

Mechanicsburg's conference could really use this. 7 teams. Only two have more than 8 guys.

Duals, if promoted AND if squads are full, are FAR superior to tournaments to build popularity. The average person in any given town would rather watch a kid from their town/school instead of watching Graham wrestle St. Ed's because they don't know wrestling but they do know their own school's kids.

IMHO, too many wrestling coaches are LAZY when it comes to promoting their sport - inside and outside of school. Co-opting schools would help.

All that aside, believe Mechanicsburg will be wrestling at the State Duals in St. Johns. Now that I'm not the HC, I cam brag on them. But shhhh, don't tell anybody, we want to sneak up on 'em. It can be our .net secret.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2015

Plenty of Cleveland's inner ring suburban teams would be much stronger if combined with a neighbor. Esp. with 14 weights to fill. It would help youth programs too as more kids would get involved. Less teams with more kids would be much better than what we have now--a sport that has too many programs and not enough participants.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

Hank we are in 100% agreement here.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 9, 2015

Time out! Are you telling me that there are Division II teams participating in the D-III State Duals process???

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Time out! Are you telling me that there are Division II teams participating in the D-III State Duals process???"

Yes. Clock is running. #wt3

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Unreal. Why have divisions?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 10, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Unreal. Why have divisions?"

More teams involved -- which is a good thing for the sport.

► Add to the Discussion