Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Penn State v Ohio State - Sunday, Jan. 11th; 2pm @ Tom Ryan Arena #BlackOut
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 13, 2015

If Logan wins his fourth title he has to be considered better than any wrestler with less titles on the D-1 collegiate level. D.T., Brands, etc... All were great wrestlers but failed to win four. Cael, Smith, and Dake are the three best D-1 wrestlers ever! Hopefully,Logan can join this prestige group this season.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Penn State v Ohio State - Sunday, Jan. 11th; 2pm @ Tom Ryan Arena #BlackOut
Jeff Reid added to this discussion on January 14, 2015

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"If Logan wins his fourth title he has to be considered better than any wrestler with less titles on the D-1 collegiate level. D.T., Brands, etc... All were great wrestlers but failed to win four. Cael, Smith, and Dake are the three best D-1 wrestlers ever! Hopefully,Logan can join this prestige group this season."

In the modern era, yes. There were some old timers like Gray Simons, Yojiro Uetake and Dan Hodge who were not allowed to wrestle their freshman year, but all three were undefeated 3 x champs. Lee Kemp and Dan Gable would be strong second tier.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 14, 2015

All this talk of Logan and where he belongs on any list of all time greats is premature. Fact is he's a three time champ and there are quite a few of those. As to the speculation that title #4 is a "fait accompli", ask Dan Gable, Lincoln McIlravy and Brent Metcalf (just to name a few) if there is such a thing as being "unbeatable."

Frosh are far more prepared now for college than they were when Lee Kemp was making the finals for the first time. And Kemp's only finals loss was on a ref's decision. Logan's first title against the superb Jordan Oliver also involved a ref's judgment.

If Logan wins #4 is he really better than Kemp?

I feel fortunate to get to watch Logan compete. He is one of the great wrestlers of his generation and what he is doing is special. Let's enjoy him, root that he finishes strong and then we can all go nuts with talk of how he's the best ever....until the next amazing talent comes along.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 14, 2015

You're right Hank. Forgive me!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 14, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"You're right Hank. Forgive me!"

Now I feel guilty. Didn't mean to be critical of anyone. Just offering a perspective.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 14, 2015

I didn't mean to hi-jack the topic. I just said it to underline how dominant he has been. If I had to make a list, I don't know where Stieber would fall on it...I'm sure he would be near the top because of his record, his dominance and his accomplishments, but I wasn't looking to get into a "best ever" discussion.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 14, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"You're right Hank. Forgive me!"

Now I feel guilty. Didn't mean to be critical of anyone. Just offering a perspective."

I was being honest; no offense taken. You're right that we are getting the cart ahead of the horse.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5