Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks On BTN Tonite
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

MSU vs tOSU will be live tonite on BTN at 7pm. Just a reminder.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Is there a probable line-up list for tonight? Does MSU have any wrestlers ranked in the top 25? They've been down a while. Gomez and the 285 from a couple years back are the only two who strike my memory. Unfortunately for the Spartans, neither are available for tonight.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Maybe this will be the last year for Michigan State's coach. Purdue did something and they're finally showing some life and being competitive.

Next up after Michigan State has to be Indiana. They have talent to draw from multiple states but are perennial bottom dwellers.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Michigan State obviously doesn't have a lot of firepower. Only 1 wrestler ranked in the top 20 in InterMat's most recent ranking, Javier Gasca @ 133. He has had some nice wins at 133 including over Earl Hall, Nick Soto and Mac McGuire. Oddly enough though, he wrestled at 141 in their last match against Michigan and lost to George Fisher, 11-8. I assume he may have missed weight at 133.

Regardless, if he is at 133, could be a nice match against JDJ. However, JDJ usually has the upper hand the first time he wrestles people.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Possible shoutout?

Sean Koran added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Manuche in for JDJ.

Good job by Ken Courts. Cannot believe the official didn't hit Rizquallah for stalling about ten times. He refused to engage on his feet. People accuse JDJ of stalling with his two on one but he hits TD's with it. Rizq. did nothing.

Bucks did what they needed to win with four starters out.

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Anybody watch the iowa illinois dual

Quote from Mark martin's post:

"Anybody watch the iowa illinois dual"

No but my understanding is that Isaiah Martinez teched Mike Kelly.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Saw parts of Iowa-Ill (4 duals going at once). Brands and Perry got in each other's faces in the post-match handshake line. Heffernan had to step in between.

Martinez looked great. Sub for Evans got a sudden pin with a couple of seconds left while trailing.

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Yes martinez is a hammer and a legitimate contender Sunday will tell the story when he wrestles Ness and brands is such a asshole I couldn't believe him and perry face to face had to be broken up

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

A couple of things stood out to me while watching the tOSU vs MSU dual. First, I'm amazed at how MSU has been okay with the state of their wrestling program for so long. Their coach was in his 23rd year there if I'm not mistaken and has a 43% win percentage? In no other sport (or other school I'd imagine) would that be tolerated. 1 ranked wrestler on the team? That should be unacceptable for any B1G school in wrestling.
Anyhow, it was entertaining watching NaTo do his thing. It was obvious the kid from MSU was simply trying to slow him down by hanging on the elbow and that was it. I was glad the ref called him for stalling in the 1st because that was exactly what it was. You saw early in the 2nd that kid was done trying to compete and Nate just rolled up the points.
In the 149lb match, I didn't see Languis's figure 4 to the body that resulted in OT being extended to the 2nd 1 minute period. Even on replay I couldn't see it. Did anyone else catch it?
The match for Kenny Courts had to be frustrating. You could hear Tom Ryan yelling at the ref that simply sitting on a knee constituted stalling. The announcers appeared to be in total agreement with Tom on that one. Not sure why the ref let it go. If memory serves me correctly, I thought that was a point of emphasis on the rules. If it wasn't it certainly needs to be. Refusing to present yourself constitutes stalling. I am okay with it every now and again (kind of like backing up) but when it is done repeatedly and as a direct method to eliminate your opponent's ability to attack then it is text book stalling.
There's not much to say about the starters. I thought many of them looked flat initially but then again it could have been them adjusting to their opponent's style (which was typically one that was complete defense). In the end, the starters did what you'd expect (4 of the 6 wins brought in bonus points w/ a 5th just missing bonus pts) and the effort from the back ups was (for the most part) very good. I think the fact JDJ, Hunter, & Courts were in attendance for that meet gives hope they'll be available Sunday against ttun. We will certainly need them for that match.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"In the 149lb match, I didn't see Languis's figure 4 to the body that resulted in OT being extended to the 2nd 1 minute period. Even on replay I couldn't see it. Did anyone else catch it?
The match for Kenny Courts had to be frustrating. You could hear Tom Ryan yelling at the ref that simply sitting on a knee constituted stalling. The announcers appeared to be in total agreement with Tom on that one. Not sure why the ref let it go. If memory serves me correctly, I thought that was a point of emphasis on the rules. If it wasn't it certainly needs to be. Refusing to present yourself constitutes stalling. I am okay with it every now and again (kind of like backing up) but when it is done repeatedly and as a direct method to eliminate your opponent's ability to attack then it is text book stalling.
"

I agree, the sitting on the knee thing was flagrant.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

The announcers criticized Courts for backing to the center, feeling that he could have got stalling calls if he pressed forward (see Telford's match last night). However, I thought it the right move, but would have liked to see it played the whole way: Courts back the the middle of the center circle and stand right there and wait. If his opponent still refused to crawl into the center circle the ref would have had to call stalling. I'm betting Mich State fans were not enamored with their wrestler's tactics.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"The announcers criticized Courts for backing to the center, feeling that he could have got stalling calls if he pressed forward (see Telford's match last night). However, I thought it the right move, but would have liked to see it played the whole way: Courts back the the middle of the center circle and stand right there and wait. If his opponent still refused to crawl into the center circle the ref would have had to call stalling. I'm betting Mich State fans were not enamored with their wrestler's tactics."

Their fans? Both of them?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next