Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 3, 2016

Since Hank posted something about me recently, I figured I should finally get around to adding to the Wrestlers Anonymous thread.

I wrestled at Buffalo Grove High School in Illinois. I didn't do as well as I would have liked, finishing both my junior and senior seasons one match away from state.

I wasn't originally planning on wrestling in college, but when I pursued my engineering degree at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY), I found out that the school had an NCWA (club) team. Wrestling all four years of college was one of the best decisions I've made, and I enjoyed every minute of it. My wrestling improved in college, but injuries kept me out of the national tournament my last three years.

My first job out of college brought me to Akron, where I've been since. After coaching at the youth level for a couple years, I helped some students at the University of Akron start a club team. We just finished our second season as a program (there was a previous attempt at a club about 5 years ago, but it never really got off the ground). It's a lot of work for no pay and sacrificed time from family, but I feel that the students deserve the opportunity to wrestle.

I truly enjoy this forum and all of the insight that is shared on it!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 3, 2016

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

" ...
I truly enjoy this forum and all of the insight that is shared on it!"

Is that all-inclusive???????

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

As the years pass and we discuss more and more, this continues to be my favorite dot.net thread.

Go on, tell us who you are....you know you want to. :)

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

This is clearly my favorite thread on this entire website. I just went back through all 13 pages.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 18, 2019

It’s that time of year...don’t be shy!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 19, 2019

Drew - Go Army; Beat Navy! ...no matter what Leo says!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 19, 2019

Good stuff, Drew, thanks for posting!

Next?🤔

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2019

drew: I want to hear more about the crazy girlfriend.

Now that's a topic which would make a great thread.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

Quote from Drew Keefer's post:

"Mark - Wise words my friend. Go Army!

Hank - I’m sure a couple of us here would be able to relate to the crazy ex! Crazy as in I wanted to go to school a mere 2 hours away from home and that was considered too far. No joke, I had everything finalized to attend Tiffin U and wrestle for Coach Jesse. I ended up backing out like 3 days prior to move in because she threatened to break up with me over it. Unbelievable right? Young and dumb but life lessons were learned with that one. Thankfully I met my wife (complete opposite of the crazy one) after I joined the military and we have a beautiful 7 month old daughter!"

So glad you didn't marry the crazy one. All of us have had one (more) of those.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So glad you didn't marry the crazy one. All of us have had one (more) of those."

Exponentially grateful that I'm in the minority.

John Ice added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

It’s a small world Drew. I have spent a lot of time in Liberty Center, I’m good friends with all the Westhoven‘s and Kerns and many more from there. I have lots of good memories in Liberty!

John Herren added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

I wrestled 98, 98, 105 and 112 back in the early to mid 1980's. Wrestled 118-134 in college. Started at Indian Lake as a freshman, was 12-1 with my only loss in the finals of the Graham Inv to some other freshman named Jeff Jordan. I was first seed btw (lol). Next week we moved to Lima and I enrolled at Bath high school. I would have wrestled Jordan about 5 more times that year as we were in the same league, so i was not unhappy to be honest.

I think i was a good wrestler. If i had worked harder could have been so much better. Was pretty lazy. Soph year at districts (@Toledo Waite HS) lost 2nd round to Rick Rosen 8-4 (would win a state title for Clyde) but he lost in semi finals to Chris Menchaca and I was out. Follow the leader. 1-1 and done.

Jr year I get to district semi finals and lose 9-7 to Darrin Mossing (Swanton, would end up a state finalist). I had badly twisted my ankle in the quarters the night before. Conso- semi lost 5-1 in OT to Barnett (Williard). I was winning with 5 sec left in regulation. Had I won would have faced a kid from Ottawa Glandorf I had beat 5 times that season. Only top 3 made it to state back then. Five districts. NW was the best in the state for AA.

Senior year, I get to semi finals again. Got the draw i wanted. Chris Menchaca (who would go on to win a state title for Wauseon). I take him down 2-3 times in the 3rd period to send it to OT. I am ahead 3-0 in overtime. It ends 4-4 and i lose on whatever the criteria was back then. I win conso-semi and need to beat some 10th grader from Cardinal Stritch. This 10th grader was tough as nails Dave Wlodarz (would be a state runner-up). I lose 3-2. Five of the top nine guys in the Brackman were from the NW. If you get out, you place at state. I could not get out.

Three time WBL league champ and 109 wins. I wanted to keep wrestling but had no money for school. I joined the Air Force National Guard and got all of my tuition paid for while in college. Waited a year to start school and went to Wright State University. Most fun I ever had was college. I remember the Ohio Open each year hosted by Wright State. It was a big time college tournment back then. Prob 60-70 teams and 6-7 Big Ten teams. OSU, Wisc, Mich, Purdue, indiana. Got my first college win over some kid from tOSU. WSU was a very good D2 team back in the day. Hosted D2 nationals one of those years as well. Tim Begley is one of the best wrestlers i have ever seen. My friends were the N.Canton Hoover boys and Xenia boys. Those two team, plus St.Eds were the best in the state in the mid 80's.

With all of that being said. It has been more fun watching my son over the past 12 years and he is a far better wrestler than i ever was.
To anyone who takes the time to read this.... thanks. It was kinda fun to write.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

John,
It is always fun to read the "remember whens" (or as Springsteen would sing "Glory Days") of all of you guys.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

I love this thread.👍🏻

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 20, 2019

Quite therapeutic, eh, John!?

Thanks for sharing.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next