Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Can we appeal to Holman, Lester, etc. to introduce themselves in spite of the fact that a number of us are aware of the "credential heft" you bring to the table?

I'm really interested in the historical references, as well as those who are advocates/fans of the sport without a lot of participation; thanks for sharing!

As an aside:
Hiatt, I'm calling you out...don't make me have to post those Minnesota brackets!

Aside #2:
Hank, just out of curiosity, is there a list of everyone who official signed up as a member of the dot.net nation?

Last edited by Justin Hayes on January 18, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

I second the appeal. I make a motion to add Jason Johnstone, Mitch Clark, Tommy Rowlands, and am willing to give a pass J Jaggers as he is currently employed by tOSU. All are registered members of the #DotNet.

ps: he's not a hotel/conference center. He's a Hiatt.

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

First post here. I've enjoyed reading the informative and respectful posts on this forum since I found it a couple of years ago.

I graduated from Strongsville High in 1987. My first love was football, but I wrestled on the school teams from 8th grade through 11th grade (season cut short by mono), and gained a deep appreciation for the skill, toughness, and dedication it takes to wrestle.

About 10 years ago, when looking for sources of sports entertainment after the football season, I happened to find OhioWrestlingSite.com (it used to be quite good...is dead now). The articles and forum there got me following the Ohio and NCAA wrestling scenes.

The NCAA tournament is my favorite sports weekend of the year.

I doubt there is anyone out there that hates Iowa Wrestling more than I do. It is kind of sick, but I actually root against former Iowa wrestlers wrestling international competition.

Over the past several years, I've managed pick'em contests on TheOpenMat and Yappi for the BIG10 and NCAA tournaments. I'd be interested in participating in and/or managing such contests here if folks are interested.

Go Buckeyes!

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I second the appeal. I make a motion to add Jason Johnstone, Mitch Clark, Tommy Rowlands, and am willing to give a pass J Jaggers as he is currently employed by tOSU. All are registered members of the #DotNet.

ps: he's not a hotel/conference center. He's a Hiatt."

I third the motion, based on the motion I initiated.

Post Script: That was a test for him, designed to lure him out into the open...it didn't work, so I'll edit to his given name.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Brian Nicola

Greetings.
I attended St. Thomas Aquinas HS where I was part of the very exclusive 3x District Qualifier club. Other members include my brother. I had a very good career (and some wins over many state placers and such), especially my last two seasons, but was a notorious bracket reader and only have myself to blame, in the end, for not making it any further.

I went on to wrestle in college at the University of Dayton. We were D1 but funded like a D3. I started all four years and missed nationals my senior year by a match. I maxxed out my ability, so have no regrets in college. Dayton cut the program after my senior year.

I have been coaching for 18 years (head coach for 14). I am currently the HC at Olentangy Orange HS and teach English at the high school.

I'm happily married to Michelle, who's first experience with wrestling was me in spandex at UD, and have two sons, both who are currently learning the sports (with varying degrees of interest).

Peace.

Last edited by Brian Nicola on January 20, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Michael Rodriguez...Revere class of 1990. I started wrestling in fourth grade when my family moved to Ohio and I was too small for football. I was good, but never great. Won far more than I lost, but never beat anyone particularly good. I started for my high school team all four years. The team was solid, league championship type squad, with one All World individual.

My first three years of high school were mediocre at best. League titles, but very little progression through the State Tourney process. That was followed by one kick ass senior season. Like I said, very few notable wins for three years my first three years, but my senior year storybook. Undefeated, and relatively dominant during the regular season...League, sectional and District champion. Technical falls in the first and semi-final rounds at State with a major decision in the quarters. In the finals I faced a wrestler I had defeated the week before at Districts. Long story short, he beat me and it really sucked.

After high school I went to The Ohio State University where it was clear I was not the caliber of athlete that was successful in the Big 10. I could do well against the other freshmen and the also-rans, but obviously that made me an also-ran too. That fact and a toxic combination of booze, drugs, girls and most notably a complete lack of direction, discipline and maturity led to me failing out by the end of my second year.

A year and a half later, to his credit, Russ made some calls and helped me get into school at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. Wrestling got me in, but it became clear early on that I was still unable to balance between sports and academics. It was my last shot at school, so I hung 'em up and focused on the classroom. I graduated with honors and started coaching to fill the void not being competitive left.

Since then I have coached at few Central Ohio programs. I was always the coach that still rolled around with the wrestlers. I would develop strong relationships and connect with one or two wrestler and shepherd them over their time in school. I really enjoyed that. Father time caught up with me last year when I ruptured my patella tendon. I had surgery, but it's not the same. I still pop into a couple of rooms from time to time, but I can't roll like I used to. I'm in the process of altering my expectations and what gives me joy within the sport. It would be nice to be able to coach and be a fan and find it fulfilling without having to drill and wrestle live.

As most on the forum are aware, I'm not an Ohio State fan, but I love Ohio high school wrestling and often Ohio greats end up wearing the Scarlet and Grey. So I certainly follow Ohio State wrestling closely.

I truly enjoy this forum. I like the informed debate, the high level of discourse and the sense of community here. There's a great mix of wrestling enthusiasts, coaches, parents, has beens, neverwases and true legends of the sport. I'm also really looking forward to the new voices arriving at the Dotnet.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Sheesh, spend a day or two following your kids around to their activities and I'm being heckled on here. Despite Justin and Mark (😜), this is my favorite forum I've ever posted on.

Me, wrestled in HS in Minnesota, wrestled in College at Liberty University but career cut short when they dropped program, (thanks admin for caving to Title IX). Matt Dernlan is a good friend of mine whom I was a teammate with at LU (as well as his brother Steve) and my asst. coach was Jeff Dernlan. They all tought me much about wrestling and life but Jeff was most influential on my life (as a wrestler and man). Through Matt came to Ohio. Coached 1 season at Lima Sr.('97), 5 at West Liberty-Salem (98-2002), and then past 12 years at Mechanicsburg (2003-2014). Recruited Cameron Doggett to take over for me so I can attended my daughter's activities. I'm now a volunteer coach at Mechanicsburg helping Cameron in continuing to build the program. Had success and failures but loved all of them.

I'm a follower of Christ, husband of a woman I truly don't deserve and have no idea how or why she ever choose me ( those that have meet her agree with me), proud father. I loved my time coaching wrestling, loved coaching young men and the relationships I have with them even more.

Also am the proud operator of our NCAA Wrestling tournament pick'em contest -- makes the NCAA tourney even more awesome, which I didn't think could have been possible.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on January 18, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Tim Ward added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

This is my first post thanks to Mr. Kornbluts's assistance. I have followed the posts on this site for several years and tried to sign-up a few years ago, but couldn't gain access. I wrestled for Berkshire High School and placed 3rd at States in 1982. I graduated from Edinboro University, but did not wrestle in college. I helped coach the Kenston Youth team for the past 10 years. I enjoy helping the kids learn to wrestle and then following their progression through Junior High, High School, and College. I follow Ohio High School wrestling and the Buckeyes and Fighting Scots. I've appreciated the posts and topics on this site and thank all of you who participate on the OWN.

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I went on to wrestle in college at the University of Dayton. We were D1 but funded like a D3. I started all four years and missed nationals my senior year by a match. I maxxed out my ability, so have no regrets in college. Dayton cut the program after my senior year.
"

Brian, did you wrestle with Bob Kosins of Bellbrook while @ UD? Do I recollect correctly that he went on a post-season tear right before the program got cut?

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Sheesh, spend a day or two following your kids around to their activities and I'm being heckled on here. Despite Justin and Mark (😜), this is my favorite forum I've ever posted on.

Me, wrestled in HS in Minnesota, wrestled in College at Liberty University but career cut short when they dropped program, (thanks admin for caving to Title IX). "

That would be Brady Hiatt, multi-time State Placer, jus' sayin' :)

http://www.tstuff.com/1991/91a2.htm

http://www.tstuff.com/1990/90a1.htm

Tim McArthur added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Tim McArthur
I don't post often but read more than I should.

Started Wrestling when I was 4 for Coach Hunter at West End YMCA in Lake County. Graduated from VASJ (St. Joe's) 96. 3x District guy. Soccer was kinda my thing.

Now coaching back at the YMCA still learning as Coach Hunter tells me every year that he is retiring!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

"Sheesh, spend a day or two following your kids around to their activities and I'm being heckled on here. Despite Justin and Mark (😜), this is my favorite forum I've ever posted on.

Me, wrestled in HS in Minnesota, wrestled in College at Liberty University but career cut short when they dropped program, (thanks admin for caving to Title IX). "

http://www.tstuff.com/1990/90a1.htm"

Gee, thanks for those brackets, almost forgot my failures in semis. Ahh, the memories. At least you didn't post link to bracket from 1989 where I got beat in the semis as well. 😢😪😭😭😭

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 18, 2015

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"I would suggest people willing to put their name on their words, probably have little desire to truly misbehave to begin with. I do appreciate that most folks are pretty tolerant of other's thoughts and even their style in sharing them. We don't always have to agree to get along. Maybe that says more about the group than anything. Keep up the good work folks!"

LOL- depends what forum they're posting on. Remember, some of our good folks are anonymous on www.thematforums.com.

TheOhioState

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 19, 2015

"

"

http://www.tstuff.com/1990/90a1.htm"

Gee, thanks for those brackets, almost forgot my failures in semis. Ahh, the memories. At least you didn't post link to bracket from 1989 where I got beat in the semis as well. 😢😪😭😭😭"

Looks pretty awesome to a 2x Division III District Qualifier and a 4x Sectional Qualifier, Charlie Brown...

Didn't know it existed; stand by all crews. : )

http://tstuff.com/1989/89a1.htm

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 19, 2015

"Looks pretty awesome to a 2x Division III District Qualifier and a 4x Sectional Qualifier, Charlie Brown...

Didn't know it existed; stand by all crews. : )

http://tstuff.com/1989/89a1.htm"

Ugh.

15-2, what? Not the correct score. Lost 5-2, even old brackets now hog-piling on.

All those semi losses, let's just say the clip of Steve Young having the proverbial monkey taken off his back after first Super Bowl win, I felt the same feeling when I coached my first state champ in 2009. I had almost forgotten about those semis .... until now.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on January 19, 2015; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next