Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

With the advent of double digit new membership participation, in tandem with a whole host of interesting characters that visit the dot.net, it would seem that introductions would be in order.

I'll lash out and see if we can build some esprit de corps!

Justin Hayes
Wrestled @ Mason, then Dayton Christian.
Coached at Dayton Christian for about 16 years.
2xDistrict Qualifier, won a bit more than I lost.
Mediocre wrestler, average coach.

Niemann...Go!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 16, 2015

Hi, Justin.

Umm. H...hi. I...uh...

I...

I'm not real good at these types of things. Uh...um... I'm Mark. I participated on the wrestling team at Groveport Madison in Columbus, OH back in the mid-90s. I was thrust into our varsity line-up as a freshmen for two combined reasons: a) our starting junior couldn't cut from 130 to 103 after doing it twice and b) I was years away from hitting puberty. 100 pounds soaking wet. And well, after making varsity as a freshmen, your pooh don't stink and you don't have to improve - or so I thought.

Three coaches over four years probably didn't help things.

After successfully attaining 4x sectional qualifier, I joined the U.S. Army, returned home and started coaching. And it was at that point that I realized how awful I was, and that becoming a student of the sport would only help me in my quest of trying to help kids be more than just a 4x sq.

Thanks, guys. I needed that.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Hello all
My name is Mike Taylor. I wrestled for Dover High School (130lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 152/145lbs) and graduated in 96. Was a state qualifier.
Joined the Navy after high school. Was active duty until 07 when I moved to Iowa and became an assistant coach at Cedar Rapids Prairie until 2011 when I moved to South Carolina.

Last edited by Mike Taylor on January 17, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

#GoArmy #BeatNavy

Thanks for serving, and glad to have you on the #DotNet

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"#GoArmy #BeatNavy

Thanks for serving, and glad to have you on the #DotNet"

Beat Navy? Not this decade!
Same to you...even if you chose the "lesser" branch to serve in. :)

Jim Fox added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Jim Fox

Graduated from Fairfield High School in 1976.

I’m a little different in that I never wrestled. So you could say I wasn’t even a one time sectional qualifier. I attended my grade school years in Cincinnati where I hadn’t seen or heard of wrestling other than what was on TV. While playing football I became friends with a guy who also wrestled. During that time I played the other winter sport. I went to watch him and instantly fell in love with the sport. From that point on I was hooked.

I joined the Navy and spent 20 years serving where i was on submarines most of that time. During that time I still tried to attend any High School wrestling I could. After Retiring I returned to Fairfield and starting helping out with the program wherever I could. I helped in running all the Sectionals & Districts run at Fairfield. Only in the last 5-6 years I started following Ohio State and college wrestling. Now, unfortunaly for my wife I’m now hooked into college wrestling also.

Mike and Mark thanks for your time serving in the Military.

Quote from Jim Fox's post:

"Jim Fox

Graduated from Fairfield High School in 1976.

I’m a little different in that I never wrestled. So you could say I wasn’t even a one time sectional qualifier. I attended my grade school years in Cincinnati where I hadn’t seen or heard of wrestling other than what was on TV. While playing football I became friends with a guy who also wrestled. During that time I played the other winter sport. I went to watch him and instantly fell in love with the sport. From that point on I was hooked.

I joined the Navy and spent 20 years serving where i was on submarines most of that time. During that time I still tried to attend any High School wrestling I could. After Retiring I returned to Fairfield and starting helping out with the program wherever I could. I helped in running all the Sectionals & Districts run at Fairfield. Only in the last 5-6 years I started following Ohio State and college wrestling. Now, unfortunaly for my wife I’m now hooked into college wrestling also.

Mike and Mark thanks for your time serving in the Military."

Same to you Jim. What did you do in the Navy? I was a surface guy and spent all my time in the engine room of a carrier as one of those nuke guys.

Mike

I was a MM-non nuke type. Spent many a day in the engine room.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Jason Jackson

Claymont High School ('94)
Miami University ('98)
Arizona Law School ('01)

The only time I ever wrestled was an intramural tournament for my college fraternity. I actually beat a kid who had wrestled in high school. That is my crowning achievement!

Had lots of friends who wrestled, and, with Claymont being a good program, I just love the sport.

I have called matches on radio and TV before, and I generally spend a little time calling the state tournament on the radio as well. I'm scheduled to call two Claymont matches on TV later this season.

Personally, I started working at a local law firm following graduation, then, in 2010, I took a job as a Magistrate at the local court. I still sit on the bench and I recently purchased an interest in a title company. I'm happily married with two wonderful children.

Love the Buckeyes and Steelers!!! Oh, and I have a little man crush on Urban Meyer as well!

Go Bucks!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Oh, and weight class(es) would be cool:

Career 103 lber. ; )

Jason Russell added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Jason Russell
Columbus West HS (2010)
Heidelberg University (2015)
Will be looking into coaching wrestling in grad school at Muskingum or Wisconsin-Whitewater for a masters in Athletic Administration.

I was okay, always over performed in the post season.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

Jason: the fact that you didn't stumble walking into the mat was overperforming! A good number of us loved watching your progress as your career unfolded. Good on ya, mate.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on January 17, 2015

hello everyone

before I introduce myself please allow me thank all of you for keeping this forum alive. I have read this forum since I was a freshman in highschool and have always enjoyed reading the many thoughts and ideas about the sport of wrestling. With that said its an honor finally being apart of this!

tony jameson

fitch high school 08 4x state champ
ohio state university" not many accolades to speak of but Ive got some great stories ^^

heres to hopefully adding some positive conversation any way I can!

Quote from tony jameson's post:

"hello everyone

before I introduce myself please allow me thank all of you for keeping this forum alive. I have read this forum since I was a freshman in highschool and have always enjoyed reading the many thoughts and ideas about the sport of wrestling. With that said its an honor finally being apart of this!

tony jameson

ohio state university" not many accolades to speak of but Ive got some great stories ^^

heres to hopefully adding some positive conversation any way I can!"

Wait, I think I've heard of you. Don't tell me...I'm sure it will come to me eventually. :)
Nice to see you here champ! Looking forward to hearing your insights on all things wrestling as you have a perspective many of us do not.

Quote from tony jameson's post:

"hello everyone

tony jameson

heres to hopefully adding some positive conversation any way I can!"

Tony… Glad to be newbie on this site with you. I must say I still recall how loud and crazy the Shott got after you’re 4th title.

Last edited by Jim Fox on January 17, 2015; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next