Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Mark Holztrager added to this discussion on February 28, 2015

Thank you Mark, very glad to be here. I'm hoping I can add some interesting points and or some fun to this site.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Antenucci added to this discussion on February 28, 2015

Prior to my oldest entering high school I had zero exposure to wrestling. Well....aside from the two week beat down I received in gym class. We covered wrestling and my partner was a wrestler. When my runt of a son entered high school he went out for the wrestling team, nobody got cut. He ended up winning freshman league and was hooked. So was I. Four years of H.S. wrestling played a significant role in forming him into a confident and disciplined young man. The sport helped our bond grow stronger. I learned as much as I could and would roll with him. That ended when he broke four of my ribs. Mind you, I outweighed him by 75 lbs and am in pretty good shape. Love the hell out of this sport. Gotta run, the wife wants to wrestle........................

Jason Fair added to this discussion on February 28, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Cameron; Mike...get together the weekend of B1Gs or NCAAs and take a pic. Selfie that jazz and tweet it!

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

If my wife drags me to Ashville, NC soon - or if I visit my cousin somewhere in that state, I'll stop by. I already know which house is yours!

#Stalker!!!"

Mark: I work in Asheville and live just outside the city in Hendersonville. If you are back this way and need tips on what to do/where to eat let me know. Asheville is a great city. We are hosting the SoCon's here next weekend (even though UNCA doesn't have a wrestling program and isn't even in the SoCon for that matter).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Not afraid to take you up on this offer!!!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Quote from mike antenucci's post:

"Prior to my oldest entering high school I had zero exposure to wrestling. Well....aside from the two week beat down I received in gym class. We covered wrestling and my partner was a wrestler. When my runt of a son entered high school he went out for the wrestling team, nobody got cut. He ended up winning freshman league and was hooked. So was I. Four years of H.S. wrestling played a significant role in forming him into a confident and disciplined young man. The sport helped our bond grow stronger. I learned as much as I could and would roll with him. That ended when he broke four of my ribs. Mind you, I outweighed him by 75 lbs and am in pretty good shape. Love the hell out of this sport. Gotta run, the wife wants to wrestle........................"

Ha! Good stuff!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not afraid to take you up on this offer!!!"

You people have no idea what you are getting into when you make an off-handed offer for fellowship with THE Mighty Cruiser...he'll take you up on it whether you meant it or not! : )

Mike Ruehling added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Good day wrestling fans. My name is Mike Ruehling, I wrestled for Canal Fulton, Northwest in the late eighties. Marginal success with around 70 victories, making it to the big show my junior season. My brother Doug Ruehling who also wrestled for Northwest with much more success also frequents this forum often. We are season ticket holders and have attended the last two NCAA finals in St. Louis. Two of the best matches I have seen at the NCAA were Metcalf getting upset while sitting in the Iowa section and Logan beating Oliver for his first title. My brother and I will both be attending the b10's and NCAA's this year. Love the site and all the new postings. Keep up the good work and go Bucks!

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Quote from Mike Ruehling's post:

"Good day wrestling fans. My name is Mike Ruehling, I wrestled for Canal Fulton, Northwest in the late eighties. Marginal success with around 70 victories, making it to the big show my junior season. My brother Doug Ruehling who also wrestled for Northwest with much more success also frequents this forum often. We are season ticket holders and have attended the last two NCAA finals in St. Louis. Two of the best matches I have seen at the NCAA were Metcalf getting upset while sitting in the Iowa section and Logan beating Oliver for his first title. My brother and I will both be attending the b10's and NCAA's this year. Love the site and all the new postings. Keep up the good work and go Bucks!"

Welcome, Mike. I remember the Ruehling name from my high school years at Carrollton. Northwest has always had some fantastic wrestlers year in and year out. Good to see you posting.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Quote from Mike Ruehling's post:

"Good day wrestling fans. My name is Mike Ruehling, I wrestled for Canal Fulton, Northwest in the late eighties. Marginal success with around 70 victories, making it to the big show my junior season. My brother Doug Ruehling who also wrestled for Northwest with much more success also frequents this forum often. We are season ticket holders and have attended the last two NCAA finals in St. Louis. Two of the best matches I have seen at the NCAA were Metcalf getting upset while sitting in the Iowa section and Logan beating Oliver for his first title. My brother and I will both be attending the b10's and NCAA's this year. Love the site and all the new postings. Keep up the good work and go Bucks!"

Small world! I don't know if you remember, but we actually met in the Sectional semi-finals our junior year. It was a was a hard fought bout that I was still feeling the effects from when I wrestled in the finals. I won the battle, but you won the war by making it out of Firestone while I didn't qualify.

Our senior year, Firestone was just ridiculous, particularly at 119. The top four placers at State were all that bracket you were in. The only one who didn't place was Humphrey (and he had a win over the eventual DI champ that year). There were several wrestlers who didn't qualify out of that bracket that had State placer talent...most notably you and Mike Tecco,

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"Welcome, Mike. I remember the Ruehling name from my high school years at Carrollton. Northwest has always had some fantastic wrestlers year in and year out. Good to see you posting."

Good call on NW. Every time I locked horns with someone from that school, I felt it three days later. My sophomore season I was the #2 seed at Sectionals and I hit a senior from NW named Miller (I think). He beat me 6-3 and I never recovered. My junior year I battled Ruehling and then my senior season we dualed them and I had Mike Harris who was just a hammer...but it wasn't just that they were good, they were tough and physical and had a mean streak. Heck, Harris and I almost came to blows on the mat.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"
Good call on NW. Every time I locked horns with someone from that school, I felt it three days later. My sophomore season I was the #2 seed at Sectionals and I hit a senior from NW named Miller (I think). He beat me 6-3 and I never recovered. My junior year I battled Ruehling and then my senior season we dualed them and I had Mike Harris who was just a hammer...but it wasn't just that they were good, they were tough and physical and had a mean streak. Heck, Harris and I almost came to blows on the mat."

Michael, when I think of NW the names Cody Butzer, the Villers brothers, Kurt Miller, Ruehling brothers, all of the Harris boys, Tony Naso, the Philabaum brothers, Brian Slates, Mike Moore, and others. They really do have a storied history for such a small municipality.

BTW, I'm assuming that you were referring to Kurt Miller that you wrestled your sophomore year.

Mike Ruehling added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Good call on NW. Every time I locked horns with someone from that school, I felt it three days later. My sophomore season I was the #2 seed at Sectionals and I hit a senior from NW named Miller (I think). He beat me 6-3 and I never recovered. My junior year I battled Ruehling and then my senior season we dualed them and I had Mike Harris who was just a hammer...but it wasn't just that they were good, they were tough and physical and had a mean streak. Heck, Harris and I almost came to blows on the mat.

Mike Harris was a hammer. He was my partner my senior year and I think I only got one maybe two take downs the entire year. We both walked on at Toledo and he was killing everybody. We only lasted a few weeks and other distractions got in the way. Michael, I do remember that battle our junior year. Senior year bracket was a tough one. Teco, you, Schork from Solon, Zaminska from Twinsburg and a tough dude I went double overtime from Youngstown Ursuline.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 1, 2015

Carson Gainey was the kid from Youngstown. He took fourth the next week losing Leblanc who I didn't see coming in that weight. I remember your bout with Gainey. I watched weight closely as a fan more than anything.

I was up at 130 that season and wrested Harris at that weight at dual. I didn't get his best that day. Once he dropped to 125 he was a different wrestler...probably the second best in the state (to Matt McCoy). The way he tore through that Firestone District at the end of the year...I don't know that I could've beaten him then.

Carson Gainey added to this discussion on March 4, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Carson Gainey was the kid from Youngstown. He took fourth the next week losing Leblanc who I didn't see coming in that weight. I remember your bout with Gainey. I watched weight closely as a fan more than anything.

I was up at 130 that season and wrested Harris at that weight at dual. I didn't get his best that day. Once he dropped to 125 he was a different wrestler...probably the second best in the state (to Matt McCoy). The way he tore through that Firestone District at the end of the year...I don't know that I could've beaten him then."

Hey guys its Carson Gainey. Its great to see alot of names I remember. I actually took 3rd. I was beating LeBlanc 9-3 and he took a swing at me and was DQed. What great memories....I wish there was some video somewhere.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 4, 2015

Reunited and it feels so good!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 13, 2015

TTT

Introduce yourself to the dotnet family!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next