Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Shel Harper added to this discussion on January 14, 2016

"The best wrestler was heavyweight Luke Fickell of Columbus DeSales. He pinned all four opponents, one of them in ten seconds. This young man, only a junior, won a national tournament last summer and is already being called the best in the country. A suggestion: do not miss next year's tournament here, because he will probably be back."

That's from an article about the 30th annual Brecksville Holiday Wrestling Tournament, appearing in the February 1991 issue of the Broadview Journal.

Whatever happened to that guy? Do you suppose he got into something stupid like football?

The closest I ever got to a mat was as a writer of stuff like that. But it was enough to make me a solid fan, and a follower of this site which is populated by a surprising number of interesting and knowledgeable people.

Thanks to all of you.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 14, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Basketball? What's that? ;-)"

I only know it as pumpkin pushin'.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 14, 2016

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

""The best wrestler was heavyweight Luke Fickell of Columbus DeSales. He pinned all four opponents, one of them in ten seconds. This young man, only a junior, won a national tournament last summer and is already being called the best in the country. A suggestion: do not miss next year's tournament here, because he will probably be back."

That's from an article about the 30th annual Brecksville Holiday Wrestling Tournament, appearing in the February 1991 issue of the Broadview Journal.

Whatever happened to that guy? Do you suppose he got into something stupid like football?

The closest I ever got to a mat was as a writer of stuff like that. But it was enough to make me a solid fan, and a follower of this site which is populated by a surprising number of interesting and knowledgeable people.

Thanks to all of you."

Thank you for participating.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on January 20, 2016

Well this is long overdue...

I've been a constant reader since the very beginning. Always enjoyed coming onto the forum and having another outlet to read about wrestling in Ohio. I'm a wrestling junkie. I frequently visit this forum and a select few others to keep myself involved in what's going on. I posted a little bit on here way back in 2007 & 2008, though never really kept up with it. Time for that to change!

I'm a 2006 graduate of Hudson High School. Wrestled all 4 years. Never really amounted to a whole lot of anything performance wise, though was always the biggest wrestling junkie around. Loved being around the sport. Some of my fonder memories were getting called for stalling twice against State Champ Marc Hoff (Liberty Center) when I literally couldn't do a thing aside from backing up due to him pressuring into me... in my home gym during our Holiday Tournament. That was fun. Back in the glory of the infamous Solon Open Mats I casually asked Sean Nemec (not knowing what he actually looked like close up) if he wanted to drill and go live for a bit. 10 years later I've finally recovered.

I went onto Bowling Green State University and studied Sport Management. I was heavily involved in Club Sports all 4 years there. I was President of the baseball team two of those years. Good times. Now as a big boy in the adult world I work at a small sports company that is essentially the NCAA for a decent amount of Collegiate Club Sports. We do basketball, baseball, football and softball. I personally oversee our baseball league that features over 280 colleges across the country. After being in Pittsburgh for 4 years, I'm happy to be back in Cleveland (Cleveland Heights to be specific).

Baseball was my 1st and true passion, though I'll never stop being involved and enjoying wrestling.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2016

Excellent, Eric!

BTW: any chance Cleveland Heights is close enough to Hank's shop??? If so (or even if not) you should stop by. It's good.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 20, 2016

Quote from Eric Curitore's post:

"Well this is long overdue...

I've been a constant reader since the very beginning. Always enjoyed coming onto the forum and having another outlet to read about wrestling in Ohio. I'm a wrestling junkie. I frequently visit this forum and a select few others to keep myself involved in what's going on. I posted a little bit on here way back in 2007 & 2008, though never really kept up with it. Time for that to change!

I'm a 2006 graduate of Hudson High School. Wrestled all 4 years. Never really amounted to a whole lot of anything performance wise, though was always the biggest wrestling junkie around. Loved being around the sport. Some of my fonder memories were getting called for stalling twice against State Champ Marc Hoff (Liberty Center) when I literally couldn't do a thing aside from backing up due to him pressuring into me... in my home gym during our Holiday Tournament. That was fun. Back in the glory of the infamous Solon Open Mats I casually asked Sean Nemec (not knowing what he actually looked like close up) if he wanted to drill and go live for a bit. 10 years later I've finally recovered.

I went onto Bowling Green State University and studied Sport Management. I was heavily involved in Club Sports all 4 years there. I was President of the baseball team two of those years. Good times. Now as a big boy in the adult world I work at a small sports company that is essentially the NCAA for a decent amount of Collegiate Club Sports. We do basketball, baseball, football and softball. I personally oversee our baseball league that features over 280 colleges across the country. After being in Pittsburgh for 4 years, I'm happy to be back in Cleveland (Cleveland Heights to be specific).

Baseball was my 1st and true passion, though I'll never stop being involved and enjoying wrestling."

Dang, Eric, that was good stuff...you should post more often.

(I loved the Hoff account.)

Jeff Esmont added to this discussion on January 21, 2016

Really enjoy this site, Jeff Esmont. Wrestled at North Canton, graduated in 78. Finished my Sr. Year with one loss, at Districts, (one and done format). Felt I let my Coach (Walt Tolarchyk) down, and myself. Went to Ashland College with something to prove. Was a 3X Dll All-American. Never went to States, but won at least one match at Dl, Dll and Dlll Nationals. Was fortunate to Wrestle for Two outstanding Coaches, Tolarchyk and Mark Osgood.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 21, 2016

Quote from Jeff Esmont's post:

"Really enjoy this site, Jeff Esmont. Wrestled at North Canton, graduated in 78. Finished my Sr. Year with one loss, at Districts, (one and done format). Felt I let my Coach (Walt Tolarchyk) down, and myself. Went to Ashland College with something to prove. Was a 3X Dll All-American. Never went to States, but won at least one match at Dl, Dll and Dlll Nationals. Was fortunate to Wrestle for Two outstanding Coaches, Tolarchyk and Mark Osgood."

Sounds like you went on a collegiate rampage, Jeff.

Thanks for posting!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

Bump.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Bump."

TTT

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 17, 2016

Bump.

Carl - tell us about yourself.

Carl Amerine added to this discussion on February 17, 2016

I think I have followed every wrestling website but this one until last week. Thanks for the heads up Mark.
I wrestled at Franklin Heights High School, finished 6th at 140 in 2001. Continued wrestling at the now non-existent Wilmington College. 2X DIII All-American. Coached at Wabash College for a season, was the head coach at Wilmington College for a season. I do a little bit of officiating now days.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 17, 2016

I'm home with a sick kid and re-reading these. Though I posted my bio last year, I sensed a theme that I wanted to touch on: the growth through coaches we've each had.

I was lucky enough to have three great coaches that shaped my career (and own style). In HS, I has Jim Schreck at St Thomas...Coach Schreck was a SQ at Perry at 112 but just a tough customer. Great guy, cared about the person.

In college, I developed a good relationship with two coaches, Mark Ott (dad of Kyle and an NAIA champ in his day) and Bill Miller (wrestled at BGSU). Ott was a brilliant technical wrestler, a great guy but he never crawled up my tail in the way that I needed.

Miller was the kind of guy who you WANT to work hard for...a tremendous man & coach, and the sole reason I didn't quit before my senior year ("just lift and move up in weight...stay off the mat for a few months"). I still talk to Miller regularly. He is the HC at Valley View in Dayton....I hope all his wrestlers know what he brings to the table.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 25, 2016

The volume on this thread picked up around this time last year; would love to read some new bios.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 26, 2016

Bill Miller was my teammate in college. He was a great guy! Tell him I said hello.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next