Links

Discussion

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

Check the latest updates on Twitter at: @OWNetwork

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 17, 2016

I'm home with a sick kid and re-reading these. Though I posted my bio last year, I sensed a theme that I wanted to touch on: the growth through coaches we've each had.

I was lucky enough to have three great coaches that shaped my career (and own style). In HS, I has Jim Schreck at St Thomas...Coach Schreck was a SQ at Perry at 112 but just a tough customer. Great guy, cared about the person.

In college, I developed a good relationship with two coaches, Mark Ott (dad of Kyle and an NAIA champ in his day) and Bill Miller (wrestled at BGSU). Ott was a brilliant technical wrestler, a great guy but he never crawled up my tail in the way that I needed.

Miller was the kind of guy who you WANT to work hard for...a tremendous man & coach, and the sole reason I didn't quit before my senior year ("just lift and move up in weight...stay off the mat for a few months"). I still talk to Miller regularly. He is the HC at Valley View in Dayton....I hope all his wrestlers know what he brings to the table.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 25, 2016

The volume on this thread picked up around this time last year; would love to read some new bios.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 26, 2016

Bill Miller was my teammate in college. He was a great guy! Tell him I said hello.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 3, 2016

Since Hank posted something about me recently, I figured I should finally get around to adding to the Wrestlers Anonymous thread.

I wrestled at Buffalo Grove High School in Illinois. I didn't do as well as I would have liked, finishing both my junior and senior seasons one match away from state.

I wasn't originally planning on wrestling in college, but when I pursued my engineering degree at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY), I found out that the school had an NCWA (club) team. Wrestling all four years of college was one of the best decisions I've made, and I enjoyed every minute of it. My wrestling improved in college, but injuries kept me out of the national tournament my last three years.

My first job out of college brought me to Akron, where I've been since. After coaching at the youth level for a couple years, I helped some students at the University of Akron start a club team. We just finished our second season as a program (there was a previous attempt at a club about 5 years ago, but it never really got off the ground). It's a lot of work for no pay and sacrificed time from family, but I feel that the students deserve the opportunity to wrestle.

I truly enjoy this forum and all of the insight that is shared on it!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 3, 2016

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

" ...
I truly enjoy this forum and all of the insight that is shared on it!"

Is that all-inclusive???????

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

As the years pass and we discuss more and more, this continues to be my favorite dot.net thread.

Go on, tell us who you are....you know you want to. :)

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

This is clearly my favorite thread on this entire website. I just went back through all 13 pages.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13