Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Anonymous: Introductions Are In Order!
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

This is good stuff; keep it coming.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"This is good stuff; keep it coming."

Plus one...

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Mike - Philabaum from Northwest, I wrestled him twice my SO year at State. Beat him 6-5 in rd. 1 then lost to him for 5th. I think. He was tough."

So you were 135ish also?
I remember Northwest had a stud at 119 (I believe) a pretty good one at 112lbs, a state qualifier at 130 (Mike Moore I think...he also kicked the crap out of me my freshman year 1993). Their lower weights were pretty good that year (1992/1993)"

My mother, God bless her, kept every newspaper clipping, first lock of hair, etc., so I was able to check out some info on that season. I did wrestle Philabaum in finals of the Northwest Tournament. I squeaked out a one point decision with a last second escape.

Mike, were you and I sitting together in the bleachers when Philabaum pinned Denzer with a spladle to win the league title? For some reason, I think it was you and I watching that match.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"All great and intriguing stories. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

I find it bizarre that two of our posters--Brad Proudfoot and John Ice--suffer from auto immune disease. My wife does as well. Fortunately, like Brad, she is functioning well due to Enbrel (a biologic). Auto immune issues are more common in women than men. Statistically speaking, it's odd that out of a slender group of people on this site (relatively speaking) two men would have it. I'm sorry that both of you fight these battles. Makes me appreciate my beat up but otherwise healthy body."

Hank, I am not sure if your wife has found the same to be true, but when I monitor my diet I tend to see a great deal of my issues subside (in conjunction with my biologic as well). If I stay away from grains, dairy, and processed foods, I tend to find a great deal of relief from the more extreme symptoms.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"

"

"Mike - Philabaum from Northwest, I wrestled him twice my SO year at State. Beat him 6-5 in rd. 1 then lost to him for 5th. I think. He was tough."

So you were 135ish also?
I remember Northwest had a stud at 119 (I believe) a pretty good one at 112lbs, a state qualifier at 130 (Mike Moore I think...he also kicked the crap out of me my freshman year 1993). Their lower weights were pretty good that year (1992/1993)"

My mother, God bless her, kept every newspaper clipping, first lock of hair, etc., so I was able to check out some info on that season. I did wrestle Philabaum in finals of the Northwest Tournament. I squeaked out a one point decision with a last second escape.

Mike, were you and I sitting together in the bleachers when Philabaum pinned Denzer with a spladle to win the league title? For some reason, I think it was you and I watching that match."

well, if it was a strapping handsome young man then... no. However, if it was a malnourished 130lb freshman from Dover with braces then it quite possibly was. T.J. wrestled a teammate of mine in the 135lb 3rd place finals so we may have been sitting next to each other watching both matches

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 21, 2015

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"

"

So you were 135ish also?

Mike, were you and I sitting together in the bleachers when Philabaum pinned Denzer with a spladle to win the league title? For some reason, I think it was you and I watching that match."

well, if it was a strapping handsome young man then... no. However, if it was a malnourished 130lb freshman from Dover with braces then it quite possibly was. T.J. wrestled a teammate of mine in the 135lb 3rd place finals so we may have been sitting next to each other watching both matches

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 22, 2015

Echo...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 22, 2015

Brad: Read your diet comment. In my wife's case, everything was originally connected to her menstrual cycle and having children made her health issues much worse. In fact her rheumatoid was undiagnosed until she had children.

My daughter may or may not have a similar problem. We've seen a few signs but she has undergone tests and all have come back negative. My daughter is also lactose intolerant and has dealt with occasional outbreaks of psoriasis.

Ultimate answer? Can't hurt to stay away from processed foods esp. carb laden ones as well as dairy products.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 2, 2015

I just read we had our 20th newbie join the fray.

Hey old-timers, what's your story?

Newbies - who are you?

Let us know.

Thanks.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2015

Quote from Dan Vest's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I just read we had our 20th newbie join the fray.

Hey old-timers, what's your story?

Newbies - who are you?

Let us know.

Thanks."

My name is Dan, I grew up in Kettering, OH where I wrestled for Fairmont High School from 99-'02 a period during which I won several matches.

I now write about the Ohio State team for SB Nation at http://www.landgrantholyland.com/ohio-state-wrestling , though my day job has kept me away from it for the last few weeks.

Should you feel inclined, y'all can also find me on twitter @_VestDJ_ where I talk mostly about wrestling and BBQ..."

Wrestling and BBQ? Are we twins?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 2, 2015

Okay this has the makings of a summer get together...wrestling and BBQ.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on February 2, 2015

My name is John, and I am a wrestler. While it has been a little over 25 years since I was last in a competitive event, I will always consider myself a wrestler.

I started wrestling freshman year at Elyria Catholic, after realizing a 5'8" non-shooter would never make it as a basketball player. More wins than losses as a frosh and soph, led to winning a starting spot at 132 as a junior - with less than spectacular results. With rather low expectations entering my senior year (still 132), I actually put it together pretty well and made it to District finals, where I lost to an eventual 4 time qualifier 4-3. Regionals were less than stellar, winning one, losing one and not getting pulled through wrestlebacks. Highlight of the year, taking 4th at the Catholic Invitational - both losses to Ken Ramsey.

With no intention of wrestling in college, a good friend talked me into doing so at the University of Dayton when they had a varsity squad (1986). I became a starter after a couple of matches at 142, and had a rather average year. Sophomore year with a new coach and a new attitude, I won 25 matches, lost 12 and even won a match at the D1 regional at Edinboro. Junior year, real life struck and I had to work more to pay for college, so I hung them up.

My son tried wrestling one year, but as everyone knows, there is a certain attitude that it takes - and it was not his thing. He never participated in organized sports in school, but in working out with my wife and I , he took it upon himself to do a full distance triathlon. So, at the age of 18, youngest in the course, he completed the Rev 3 triathlon at Cedar Point. Now, he is a sophomore at tOSU, doing well and absolutely loving it there.

My daughter is a sophomore in high school, taking the artistic path and participating in marching band. She stays active, is a social butterfly and does well in school. Her goal is to make it to tOSU as well, but only for grad school.

All of this, and my wife of nearly 22 years is awesome - she's put up with me.

Jason Fair added to this discussion on February 2, 2015

Hi, I am Jason Fair. I have read this forum regularly for several years but very seldom do I post.

I started in the sport when I was seven years old. I wrestled for the Conneaut Cougar youth team until I was twelve and then moved to North Carolina. I was a 3x state finalist and 2x champ in NC. After HS I wrestled D-II for a couple years but a combination of grades and other non-productive interest put an end to my competitive career.

Looking back at my time wrestling in NE ohio I had the opportunity to compete against several greats, including Drew Pariano, Jimmy Johnson, John McGee, Kevin Welsh, and the list goes on. Also, being on the Ohio/PA line I was able to compete regularly with several studs from PA.

I still live in NC, near Asheville with my wife and 5 month old daughter. Unfortunately, I will not make St. Louis this year, but I was in St. Louis when Logan won his first and was also in OKC last year.

Aside from the above I am a PhD candidate at Clemson and have been working on my dissertation for a few years. (Life got in the way after I completed coursework but I am getting back on track now.). At any rate, I mention this because my research study deals with the decline in wrestling program numbers at NCAA D-1 colleges.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 2, 2015

John F: wife of 22 years, huh? I can dig it!

Oh, and Jason F...while your down there, #BringBackClemsonWrestling - I heart Sammie Henson!!!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next