Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Tough Topic: Hunter or Micah?
Jason Russell added to this discussion on January 25, 2015

Micah is a stud, but I don't think he is ready to be a d1 AA. You gotta go with Hunter and if he is hurt, Languis. Let Micah get his year in the room and come out ready to go next year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"The MOST important factor to consider is Hunter. Hunter's health is 1st and foremost. If he is injured to the point that he cannot recover prior to B1Gs, he needs to be shut down. He cannot and should not be asked to shoulder the team title (and I doubt that he is be asked to do so, though he may personally feel like he is). His health should be the 1st priority for the 149 class in the Buckeyes wrestling room. If he can't go, he can't go.

And while he wrestled well against Sorenson, he still lost. He lost because, even if he is the best 149 in the nation, he likely can't win a title or even AA injured. Logan likely could not win with the same injury. We far to often take for granted just how good all of these wrestlers are. Even though you see top guys winning by big margins on the score board, they are not that great of margins on the mat....especially if the top guy is injured.

As for Languis vs the Mongoose, well, Ben probably said it best. First, the coaches at tOSU are pretty sharp guys. So let's not second guess everything they do (especially before they have even made a decision). Micah would have to be just destroying Languis in the room right now for them to pull his RS. And as Ben said, they would have to assume he was going to score A LOT of points in March if they are going to pull the RS.

I wonder if dropping to 149 was Micah's idea. He's a competitor. Of course he believes he should be wrestling varsity right now. That's how all competitors think. You wouldn't want him in the room otherwise. I suspect it has been obvious that Hunter is struggling to the point that he will not complete the season with this injury. I don't know this, I'm just guessing Micah's competitive spirit wants to take a swing at filling the spot.

I'd imagine Micah does feel he can AA. Why? I remember his dad ripping me a knew one at camp the summer after my 8th grade season. Jeff asked me what my goal for my freshman season was. I told him I wanted to be a state qualifier. Subsequently I got a 10 minute lecture about why my goal should be to be a state champion, not a state qualifier. He finished by telling me if I want to hit the moon, I have to shoot for the stars. The point being, Micah has been raised and trained with this mind-set from day one. I'm sure he believes he can be on the podium at 149. That being said, I believe he will take his swing and be satisfied with whatever the coaches feel is best for the team, and for Micah's future.

Last, I'm not sure how deep the Buckeyes are at 149. This could be a precaution in the event that Languis were injured along the way. Not sure...

As for the team title, we can't forget we have radio silence on Tav's situation as well. Losing his points are also huge."

Obviously, Hunters health is the most important focus, that goes without saying. My comments were based under the assumption that this injury is one that can be managed and one in which still allows for him to handle an individual who just beat the defending champ. If those circumstances have changed and the injury has compounded then consideration for Micah or Randy to take over permanently is needed. Otherwise Hunter will do what Hunter always has done....win.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Liam: Hunter is obviously in a lot of pain and significantly injured. Otherwise, why not take the mat against Michigan, MSU or Indiana? It seems that everyone is hoping he'll somehow be able to compete with the injury but I don't get the sense that it's good for him to do it. We all want to see the Bucks win a team title and I'm sure that includes Hunter. But how high is the price one pays? Having Hunter compete while in severe pain? Burning Micah's redshirt? Those are the difficult questions that the team faces. It's important to come up with the right answers.

And I don't know what they are. But I'd be very careful if I were Coach Ryan. There are bigger issues than winning and losing IMO."

Unfortunately we are all shooting at a target that we cannot see. No one knows the extent of the injury or whether or not surgery is needed. Rumors are all we have at this point. As far as sitting out the last few matches, it seems to me that the only logical thing to do is sit him out those matches. Each of those duals of which you spoke were going to be won whether he wrestled or not and the quality of matches would not be a good measure of where he is as far as competing. Missou was a fluke, Drake couldn't pin Hunter again if he wrestled him 100 times. We got to see where Hunter is by the way he wrestled Sorrenson, Hunter being the better wrestler but not the most conditioned. Against a very game Beitz he wrestled hard and closed out well. I did see him wincing when his hand was raised and understand the concern in him giving up positions that he would not normally but we are mistaken to think that TR or Mr. Stieber would let Hunter risk permanent damage under any circumstance. If we are to win a national title it is now. Without Logan next year we will have to bite and claw our way there and will need some good grace from the wrestling gods. TR knows this, Hunter knows this and Buckeye nation knows this. This is why Hunter is putting it all out there for us to see. The good and the bad. Thanks porky, see you in March.....god willing.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

"We are all shooting at a target we cannot see..."

Good line, Mr. Bateman. Sums it up well.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Echo...

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

i can see it- as i posted previously and it still applies, this is situation:

Hunter working to get ready. Jake and Micah on call, will wrestleoff if need be..

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i can see it- as i posted previously and it still applies, this is situation:

Hunter working to get ready. Jake and Micah on call, will wrestleoff if need be.."

Agreed/

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i can see it- as i posted previously and it still applies, this is situation:

Hunter working to get ready. Jake and Micah on call, will wrestleoff if need be.."

The logical assumption from this statement is that either Micah or Jake can be Languis. Interesting.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Would Randy qualify for Nationals? I think the only B10 guy he beat is the Maryland kid.

Tsirtis #1
Sorenson #3
Pantaleo #9
Theobold #17
Beitz #18
I don't think he could be Shorts from Minnesota either.
Lost to Trevor Moody from IU and also lost to Trimble from MSU. Both close matches but he lost both.
Based on a quick review of who the kids from Nebraska, Illinois,Purdue,Wisconsin wrestled this year and the results on paper I would take all of them over Randy.

I hope I'm wrong but I could see him not even qualify to nationals.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

One point about Languis--he performed better at 157. Maybe it's coincidence or maybe the cut is affecting him?

He has lost a few matches recently to guys he'd have beaten in the past.

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Yep he's not the same guy at 49 that he was at 57,at 57 he was alot stronger

Micah 22-0 (won 3 tourny's at 157 and 2 at 149.

Jake 21-3 (lost at first tourny. Won next 3 and then took 3rd at 157)

i think an aside or 2 might be of interest:

197: No. 6 Morgan McIntosh (PSU) dec. No. 1 Scott Schiller (Minn), 7-4 ---- SNYDER in the hunt now.

why JRob is the man.
Minnesota extends its unbeaten streak against Penn State to 13 matches- THIRTEEN! -a run that stretches back to February 1998 and is tied for the second-longest unbeaten streak the Gophers actively hold over any Big Ten foe.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Bob: saw that 197 result and considered the same thing. Transitive property being used to our advantage at this point, of course. #ScarletAndGrayLenses

Obviously, we'll find out in about ten days. #TheSchott

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on January 26, 2015

Not trying to put a negative on previous posts but I don't think Snyder's ever been out of the hunt.His adjustment from freestyle to folk has been just that ..I also think Thomasello and Johnni will ne ready..

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next