Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Tough Topic: Hunter or Micah?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

Languis is the "next man up" and he hasn't wrestled well. I opined in another thread that maybe it's the weight cut. Regardless of the reason, if you're trying to win an NCAA title, he's not likely to get you team points unless he suddenly starts wrestling a lot better.

Micah is a blue chip recruit. He's had time to adjust. He's breezed through most open competition. He's the obvious choice to step in if Hunter can't go and you want the absolute best wrestler to compete.

How well can Micah do? Can he place at Big Tens? Does he have a legit shot to do well at NCAA's? Is it worth burning his redshirt to find out? Those are the obvious questions the staff and wrestlers involved have to try and answer.

It's a difficult set of circumstances as the answers don't seem obvious. Good luck to all involved.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Martin, Sr. added to this discussion on January 28, 2015

To me it's not about freshman it's about physical maturity and a high level of wrestling and micah as well as snyder has that now if he aa at NCAA idk but I know he is capable and i don't feel randy is at least not at 49

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

There is no other option. None. No one else can bring the points. Everyone here knows the situation. We can fabricate any story to imagine a national title without hunter but it doesn't exist. We have, as a whole, weathered any adversity that has come our way, if this be another, so be it. Pray, brothers.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

"Surprising to me that people truly believe Languis would be the best/most competitive option."

Ethan: I'm not sure anyone necessarily thinks that. He is the season-long backup, which he earned, albeit some time ago. But there are clearly other considerations at play.

I imagine that is what they are, um, wrestling with.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

If you want to throw some hypothetical point scoring at NCAAs.

Hunter (healthy) 12-18 pts 2-6 finish based upon history. (not happening unless healthy) Props to his grit; he almost beat Sorenson with one arm.

Hunter (unhealthy) 0-6 pts, not being able to compete to a low finish.

Micah, he will win at least a two matches at NCAAs and possibly finish as an AA. 1-6 pts. One more year under his belt and very likely AA as a RS freshman.

Jake Ryan, sort of the same as Micah IMO.

Which guy has the stronger I am going to win right now attitude and the offense to complement it?

I like the dynamic of the young guy getting in at the end of the season to make a run at it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it works you are brilliant and if not everyone second guesses you.

Wayne McMinn was a teammate of mine when at ASU. He was the back up to Andy McNaughten. McNugget was the Las Vegas Champ and Midlands champ but rolled his ankle badly in January and was not healing. Wrestle off ensued. McNaughten won close. anyway, Bobby D sat Andy at the end of the year in favor of McMinn because McNaughten could not make it through a practice on his injured wheel. McMinn was fresh and hungry. He ended up 6th at NCAAs as a freshman that season. Never placed again. Thing is, you can fly under the radar, not be worn out from the season and wrestle every match like its' your last when you have 6-8 wks to go. That is a sprint whereas a season is more of a marathon.

Anyway, Bobby Douglas knew that the rigor of matches and competition (out for blood) would likely do Andy in, so he went with his other choice who was strong, healthy and hungry. A binary choice. One or the other.

At some point you make choice and roll the dice.

Looking back when I was an assistant at OSU, I feel horrible that the decision was made to wrestle Luke Fickell against Kerry McCoy. It was a poor choice. Hindsight. No way. Let him mature. With the little time that was available with his Football schedule and zoology classes, bring him along in years rather than weeks. Shoot for his junior and senior years to peak.

I had deja vu when Hunter was put out there against Houdashelt. He just wasn't ready.

Not an easy decision but at least we know the choices.

Last edited by Rex Holman on January 29, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

I don't know what to think...how is that for adding to the discussion? : )

Jeremy Park added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

I'm not sure I've heard what the injury is. Has coach Ryan come out and spoke of the injury? Also, I realize wrestling does not have the media exposure as other sports, but nothing has come out from our limited coverage. Just wondering why it hasn't been addressed. I figured flo or InterMat would have reported on it. Are there rules against reporting injuries?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

Loved Rex's post. Loved Liam's too.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I like the dynamic of the young guy getting in at the end of the season to make a run at it."

Certainly not quantitative and definitely not intended as a slight to the other competitors but I like the dynamic of a Jordan getting in at the end of the season to make a run at it...they just have a history of maximizing opportunity.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

I don't think there is any way they pull Micah out of redshirt. I know it is easy to think this is their best shot at a title with an almost guaranteed champ in Logan, but won't they be even better with Micah in next year? Obviously they will lose a lot of points from Logan, but two Jordans, NaTo, SNyder, Demas, Hunter, Courts, etc. WOW! Save th young Buck! This is not his best option for success.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on January 29, 2015

Hunter might not be the wrestler that is permanently out!! It just might be tavenello. He isn't listed as the starter for the weekend while Hunter or Languis is listed.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Rex, did Luke Fickell wrestle after the Kerry McCoy match?

I was at that match, and McCoy was the best collegiate heavyweight at the time, and Luke was a freshman, so there was certainly no big expectation in Fickell beating McCoy at that point in Luke's career.

Why would the decision to have him wrestle McCoy have any effect at all as far as having him continuing as a wrestling Buckeye? Luke was tough as nails.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"Hunter might not be the wrestler that is permanently out!! It just might be tavenello. He isn't listed as the starter for the weekend while Hunter or Languis is listed."

I don't know when they film them but last week Flo had a workout Wednesday video and it showed Tavs working out and he looked good. Again I don't know when it was filmed

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

http://youtu.be/4V0TYIO6yv4

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 30, 2015

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Rex, did Luke Fickell wrestle after the Kerry McCoy match?

I was at that match, and McCoy was the best collegiate heavyweight at the time, and Luke was a freshman, so there was certainly no big expectation in Fickell beating McCoy at that point in Luke's career.

Why would the decision to have him wrestle McCoy have any effect at all as far as having him continuing as a wrestling Buckeye? Luke was tough as nails."

Any video of this? And yes, my computer illiterate self did check youtube first.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next