Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: 2008 Brakeman Report
Scott Shaw added to this discussion on January 31, 2008

The 37th Annual High School Wrestling Forecast written by Brian Brakeman has been electronically delivered to the wrestling community.

http://www.baumspage.com/brakeman/index.htm

Read, discuss, and (as I am sure some people will) criticize the incredibly informative and massive (101 pages) "Brakeman Report."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on January 31, 2008

How about the #2 ranking for "Unattached" Andrew Gasber at 145!!

I feel bad for this young man and the situation that he is in, but I had to laugh when I read this. Is Mr. Brakeman showing his disdain for the decisions of the OHSAA and getting a jab in at the establishment in his own little way? Is he honoring a young man that has been put in a terrible spot? Or is it a little bit of both?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 31, 2008

He is taking a stab at the OHSAA for the decision especially since both schools signed off on the decision for the transfer. He also said he was crabby writing after midnight.

I think it is a very sad situation what is happening to a fine young man.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

What I heard:

St. Edward is in Lakewood, which is well over an hour away from Gasber's home. After a medical family emergency with Gasber's mother and the fact that Gasber's car was totaled and the family only had one car, Gasber needed to be closer to home (Madison is his home district) and not driving to Lakewood every day (in his family's only car).

Both the St. Edward superintendent and the Madison superintendent signed and agreed that it was in Gasber and his family's best interest for him to transfer. The diocese that St. Edward belongs to wrote a letter supporting Gasber in this situation.

Only because Gasber wrestled in the Ironman for St. Edward, he is deemed ineligible for the year by the OHSAA. They refuse to reverse this decision because reversing it for him may open them up to other situations where the strict letter of their law might not be followed.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

Tough decision for the OHSAA. I'm sympathetic to Gasber but if you make this exception, what's to stop other kids from doing the same thing each time they are unhappy with their coach/program during the season? If they allow Gasber an exemption, then other kids and their families can claim financial hardship each time and point to Gasber as a reason to allow their midseason transfer.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

Wasn't the car insured? Legally should have been. Wouldn't that have allowed it to be replaced?

I understand things happen in the lives of a family, and I sure could be missing something here, but wouldn't insurance handle that situation. I don't see the relevance of the car accident.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tough decision for the OHSAA. I'm sympathetic to Gasber but if you make this exception, what's to stop other kids from doing the same thing each time they are unhappy with their coach/program during the season? If they allow Gasber an exemption, then other kids and their families can claim financial hardship each time and point to Gasber as a reason to allow their midseason transfer."

I disagree, and think that extreme cases deserve to be viewed on a case-by-case basis. This does not appear to be simply a matter of financial straits, but also delves into much more personal things with his mother.

@Gary You do not know what the value of the insured car was and if they would be able to get a reasonable replacement. Since we do not have all of the information regarding the case, we should not speculate too much. I think that if the superintendents are willing to allow this, we should be able to trust there judgment that there are extenuating circumstances.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

Superintendents rarely think of the greater good, that being fair application of rules to everyone and not just exceptions for particular cases.

This is the kind of thing that happens when parents put their kids into schools obscene numbers of miles away from home for what started out being an extracurricular activity. Anyone know of a kid who drives 100+ miles each day for four years for a particular Science teacher?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tough decision for the OHSAA. I'm sympathetic to Gasber but if you make this exception, what's to stop other kids from doing the same thing each time they are unhappy with their coach/program during the season? If they allow Gasber an exemption, then other kids and their families can claim financial hardship each time and point to Gasber as a reason to allow their midseason transfer."

I can only imagine the Pandora's box this would open in a sport like basketball where the AAU climate is more prevalent. Heck, just last year Reggie Keely transferred from Solon to Bedford in mid-year.

The right decision - the only fair one - was made, though it may not be the "just" thing to do.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 1, 2008

"Wasn't the car insured? Legally should have been. Wouldn't that have allowed it to be replaced?"

Not to take this discussion too far a field, but what is legally required is LIABILITY insurance for the vehicle's drivers. There is no requirement to cover your vehicle for damage (unless you have a still-outstanding loan where your bank will almost certainly insist on such coverage for the life of the loan).

I don't carry "collision" or "comprehensive" (I think it's called) on my one vehicle that has 330,000 miles on it. I chuckle at the thought of anyone stealing it.

Re: Gasber. I think we can all agree that it's a tough situation and that we also don't know all of the details. Fortunately he has another year of high school and I will be rooting for him to make has mark next year.

Joe Collins Sr. added to this discussion on February 4, 2008

Is it just me or are D2 and D3 schools just as tough this year? I always stood up for the D1 programs when people argued that D2 and D3 were just as tough. This year's report has got me swaying, though. I was at the Ironman this year and watched the Top Gun and Brecksville on the tube. Got to be honest... I recognize more D2 and D3 kids this year. One thing is for sure, Ohio is producing some major talent as of late. Good luck to all three divisions at state.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Quote from Joe Collins Sr.'s post:

"Is it just me or are D2 and D3 schools just as tough this year? I always stood up for the D1 programs when people argued that D2 and D3 were just as tough. This year's report has got me swaying, though. I was at the Ironman this year and watched the Top Gun and Brecksville on the tube. Got to be honest... I recognize more D2 and D3 kids this year. One thing is for sure, Ohio is producing some major talent as of late. Good luck to all three divisions at state."

Here's how I see a round robin of Brakeman's 3 top ranked wrestlers shaking out:

103: Hunter Stieber (Monroeville) DIII
112: David Taylor (Graham) DII
119: Logan Stieber (Monroeville) DIII
125: Tom Pretty (Elder) DI
130: Daniel Kolodzik (Miami Valley) DIII: I'm a little uneasy about this one. He has a win in JH over Squire, but you sure have to like Squire's devolpment since then.
135: Collin Palmer (St. Edward) DI
140: Richie Spicel (Brunswick) DI
145: Tony Jameson (Fitch) DI: This is a total crap shoot. Jordan has beaten Toal. Toal has beaten them both. Jordan has beaten Jameson. I like them all. Obviously on any given day, any one of them can win. I think Jameson rises to the the occasion when it matters most.
152: Coby Boyd (Graham) DII: Another crap shoot, but I'm personally more afraid of Coby than the others <banghead>
160: Eric Cubberly (Eastwood) DII
171: Chris Phillips (Monroeville) DIII
189: Cody Magrum (Oak Harbor) DII
215: Orlando Scales (Elder) DI: Wish he and Fisher would have wrestled. Not sure if I'm ready to give Scales the win over Cogar?
285: John Hiles (Columbus DeSales) DII: His recent loss to Buzzelli makes me a little suspicious, but I think he wins over Kline.

DI: 5
DII: 5
DIII: 4

Looks pretty even to me!

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

The top kids in each division are always pretty close, and the weights are always divided pretty evenly. But, the question was about DII and DIII teams being better than DI. In my opinion the top teams in DII and DIII are better than the middle teams in DI; but once we get past that, the teams that are low on the board in DI are better than the teams in DII and DIII. Plus, the teams that finish between 10 and 20 in DI and typically better than the teams that finish 10-20 in the other divisions. It makes sense due to the number of boys in the schools. Again, this is just my opinion.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 6, 2008

I do agree that across the board in dual meets that the DI teams would win over the DII & DIII teams, with the obvious exception of SPG. There is no way for the small schools to have the depth of talent the large schools have available. That is the whole reason for the divisional break downs. That being said, the number of quality individual wrestlers in the DII and DIII is certainly higher than ever before. In the past it has been relatively easy to assume that the DI class winners were the best in the state with a few DII & DIII winners mixed in. I was simply pointing out that it is impressive that most of the best class winners this year may not DI competitiors.

Zane Wolford added to this discussion on February 6, 2008

Patrick,
When did Toal beat Jordan? I thought he had beat toal twice.

Also Hiles pinned Buzzelli at the Hayes tournament this year, unless it was just written wrong on the brackets.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next