Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Support University of Akron Wrestling!
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 19, 2015

For any wrestling followers that hadn’t heard, the University of Akron is in their first season as an NCWA (National Collegiate Wrestling Association) team. On March 1st the Zips will compete in the Great Lakes Conference, which is our qualifier for the national tournament, which will take place in Allen, TX March 12-14.

Right now our postseason is in jeopardy due to very minimal support from the university. The University of Akron has been refusing to provide funding for items that were approved in the team’s budget last year, so we have been forced to pay most of our expenses out of pocket. As the unpaid, volunteer head coach, I’ve singlehandedly put in over $1600 thus far, and the students and their families have contributed hundreds as well. The university has contributed a grand total of $710 to date.

The team has made great progress since the inception of the program last year, but we have been forced to be very “bare bones” this season due to limited resources. We are seeking support in any way possible, whether that be donating/pledging money, volunteering as an assistant coach, buying an Akron Wrestling t-shirt, or coming to our home matches (we have one this Saturday Feb 21 at 11 AM at Central Hower High School). Anyone who is a supporter of wrestling in Northeast Ohio or an opponent Title IX should be all over this. If we as a community fail to support this growing program, then Title IX and the University have already won. Anything you can afford to do is appreciated. All donations are tax deductible. Please contact me by e-mail (jas125133@gmail.com), phone (234-788-7183), or PM if you are interested in donating or helping out.

Thank you,
Jeff Streu

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 19, 2015

How do I go about buying a t-shirt?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 19, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"How do I go about buying a t-shirt?"

+1

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 19, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"How do I go about buying a t-shirt?"

+1"

+2

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on February 20, 2015

Jeff, Great to hear about getting things going at Akron. I just sent you an email about raising some funds by helping out at OAC JH & GS state tournaments in Youngstown.

Tim McArthur added to this discussion on February 20, 2015

+3

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Since I don't see an easy way to attach the order form to this post, I'll describe it as best I can. We actually have more than just t-shirts; everything is listed below. Send me a PM or e-mail with your order info. All sizes are adult sizes. Once enough people order, or by a particular date (ex. end of March), I'll place the order with our vendor.

-Short Sleeve t-shirt: (navy blue, charcoal grey, or gold); Cotton $9 ($10.75 for 2XL/3XL); Dri-fit $10.50 ($13.50 for 2XL/3XL)
-Long Sleeve t-shirt: (navy blue, charcoal grey, or gold); Cotton $12 ($14.25 for 2XL/3XL); Dri-fit $14.00 ($17.00 for 2XL/3XL)
-Sweatshirt: (light grey) Crewneck: $15.00 (2XL/3XL $16.50); Hoodie: $16.00 ($20.00 2XL/3XL)
-Mesh shorts (gold): $16.00
-Compression shorts (navy blue) $22.00
-Sweatpants (navy blue) $20.00
-Polo, dri-fit (navy blue) $28.00

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Jeff: from your initial post I know you are busy today but when you get the chance could you give us some process to the ordering. I ask because it will save you from answering the same questions over and over and I sense a lot of people here are interested.

For instance:

Do you want us to send checks to you in advance and if so, to whom do we make them out? Where do we send them?

Or do we just tell you by PM what we want and pay when they come in?

I need at least a hoodie. Good cause and reasonable prices.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 21, 2015

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Jeff: from your initial post I know you are busy today but when you get the chance could you give us some process to the ordering. I ask because it will save you from answering the same questions over and over and I sense a lot of people here are interested.

For instance:

Do you want us to send checks to you in advance and if so, to whom do we make them out? Where do we send them?

Or do we just tell you by PM what we want and pay when they come in?

I need at least a hoodie. Good cause and reasonable prices."

Roe is right. If you give us a more streamlined approach/details, it would probably save you a great deal of hassle.

BTW, I definitely want a short sleeve and long sleeve t-shirt.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

Please just send me a PM. Please make checks out to Frank Shaffer. Frank is our captain, and he is the one working directly with the screenprinter. I'll have you send the checks to me, and I'll provide my address in response to your PM.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 22, 2015

I had a patient for many years that wrestled for U of Akron back in the day when they were an NCAA team. I hope the day comes when that happens again. He and I talked about his wrestling experiences at Akron every time he was in my office. Keep up the good work. I'm in Medina if you ever need any help.

► Add to the Discussion