Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Single-Elimination State Tournament in Virginia
Larry Korb added to this discussion on February 20, 2015

http://www.vhsl.org/athletics.wrestling.wr-2015-5A-6A-wrestling-friday-schedule

Due to weather forecast (not due to any snow actually on the ground at this point), the state tournament in Virginia is being moved to one day (today). Single-elimination until the semis. Semifinal losers wrestle for 3rd.

Has Ohio ever done anything so ridiculous before? What would the outcry be if this was implemented on the morning of the first day of the tournament?

(I moved to Virginia a couple of years ago, and was looking forward to a Saturday night of finals matches when i stumbled on this.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 20, 2015

That is awful.

Ohio has never implemented a change like that (that I know of) the morning of the tournament.

What would the outcry be??? Pitchforks, torches, tar and feathers, bricks, some dude with a steering wheel (but we are going to let it slide since that cat is WEIRD!!!!), a whole lot of cussing, and most likely - since the event takes place near Ohio State's campus, the overturning of cars, couches lit on fire, culminating in a bunch of drunkards jumping into a frozen body of water.

Yup...sounds about right.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 20, 2015

Virginians are not happy. Checkout Jason's post.

Jason Bryant

My post to the Virginia High School League, just in case they want to delete it. This is about how they're continuing to jack up the state tournament. This time, snow (not a blizzard mind you) is their excuse.
(VHSL) do realize you can easily run an 8-man bracket in one day without going long and without jeopardizing the safety of the athletes AND do it without going over the 5-match maximum per day? This was absolutely a TERRIBLE thought process.The VHSL jacked up the classes, and now they've made this completely dunder-headed move. It's a real shame you use "blanket" solutions for all sports when each sport deserves to be treated as importantly as another. I'm completely ashamed of my home state right now, not because of the athletes, but because of the horrible decision-making process that went into this. None of you know how a wrestling tournament operates and how fast or slow it can go. You can't worry about gate receipts one year and then claim safety the next. Just piss poor judgement and execution.

► Add to the Discussion