Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cox V Snyder
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

J'Den Cox might be the most impressive wrestler in the country not named Logan Stieber. He's fast, powerful and excellent in all positions. He won't turn you from top but he is allowed to stall, er, ride with that very good spiral. The pressure he exerts from it is ferocious.

So, here's why I think Snyder can win--pace. It's not that Cox is not in excellent shape. But watching him against Burak, I noticed that he allowed the match to remain too close. He could have scored anytime but instead waited until it was almost too late.

Snyder can push the pace against Cox harder than anyone else at 197. And he's arguably the only guy with the right stuff on his feet to finish. But you have to tire Cox out. It has to be a war of attrition.

Just my thoughts.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Basically, isn't that exactly how Nick wrestled him in the championships last year, except that Nick waited 2 seconds too long to make the shot.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Cox talks about feeling disappointment when the Bucks lost to Lehigh.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252077-2015-National-Duals/video/761596-Jden-Shook-His-Head-When-Ohio-State-Lost#.VOzOy_lQMbO

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Cox talks about feeling disappointment when the Bucks lost to Lehigh.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252077-2015-National-Duals/video/761596-Jden-Shook-His-Head-When-Ohio-State-Lost#.VOzOy_lQMbO"

What a great kid! Thanks for providing the link.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Is it just me, but didn't Cox look huge for 197? With those thick legs, I could see how 285 might be an option down the road for him.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 24, 2015

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Is it just me, but didn't Cox look huge for 197? With those thick legs, I could see how 285 might be an option down the road for him."

I thought the same thing Jack. He is the only 197 I've seen that looks more physically impressive than Snyder.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 25, 2015

And think back to last year when Heflin wrestled 197. Heflin didn't look that much smaller, if any, then Cox. Yet a year earlier he wrestled 174. His success with that huge cut was amazing.

Tommy Rowlands added to this discussion on February 25, 2015

I watched the Cox interview a few days ago. Seems like a great kid. It is easy to see his respect for Snyder. If I were to read between the lines (which I like to do a little too much), I would say that judging by the way that Cox spoke of Snyder that Snyder is the guy that pops in his mind to motivate him at the end of practice, to wake up early for a morning workout, etc. He just seemed to talk about Snyder in a way that was like "I think it's going to come down to me and him".

A very tough weight class, with about 3 other contenders, but you can see that Cox has a lot of respect for Snyder.

► Add to the Discussion