Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Early team predictions based on Flo rankings
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 2, 2015

Just got off the phone with my friend Joe, who is coming to Columbus for the Big Tens this friday.

Based on current Flo individual rankings, he has Iowa and Missouri gunning for the top spot at the NCAA's, followed by Minnesota. These three teams would comprise the top tier.

The second tier would include Cornell, Ohio State and PSU.

The third tier would include Illinois and Oklahoma State.

I asked the likelihood of Ohio State winning Nationals, and he said, based on current rankings, that it would be just a few percent. That's just the numbers talking.

Now, before everyone gets upset about this, a few changes in seedings could change everything.

H Stieber and Tomasello are currently ranked 7th. Should they, for example, win Big Tens, then their higher seedings would push Ohio State into that top tier and make them (numerically) one of the favorites to win Nationals.

Bonus is still to be factored in, along with a seeding performance and home team advantage. Ohio State may perform way above prediction this weekend at Big Tens, and they will be rewarded with higher individual seedings for Nationals as a result.

We'll look at things after Big Tens to get a more accurate model of what may happen- by the numbers-at the NCAA's.

I'll conclude by saying that I'm a big Ohio State fan and a big Tom Ryan fan, and nothing would make me happier in the sports world than seeing the Bucks win Big Tens and Nationals- numbers be damned.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion