Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: "Can u repeat the rule one more time please?"
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

I defer to my dad on all things law and rules. He wrote a piece on the Ian Miller decision.

NCAA Wrestling - Ian Miller Decision

The NCAA tournament committee and its Ian Miller decision deserves condemnation instead of praise. There was no dispositive rule. The Committee had the authority and discretion to make a decision. The Committee exercised its discretion in an incompetent manner and made a terrible decision. The decision was harmful to the sport and to Ian Miller.

The Committee reviewed the rule book and cited a rule that was not specific to the situation. The Committee should have exercised its discretion in a reasonable manner, corrected the score, and awarded the decision to Ian Miller. In exercising its authority, the Committee’s primary criteria would have been whether correcting the score would be prejudicial. For example, if the issue had been raised after Realbuto wrestled his next match, correcting the score would be prejudicial. If the escape point had been missed in the first period, when Realbuto could have adjusted his tactics, correcting the score would be prejudicial.

The Committee members demonstrated poor judgment. The Ian Miller decision is a blackmark on an otherwise successful tournament.

The only point opposite that someone has brought up in defense of Realbuto is something one of buddies mentioned.

Watching Realbuto watching the clock tick down rather than go for the turn is what (in my opinion) makes this tough to overturn. He watched the clock from six seconds to the end of time (and turned him right at the end - though he didn't try before). Had he been trying for the turn the last six seconds and not just looked at the clock then I'd be all about overturning.

Just more food for thought.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

Your father is right. No specific rule, the coaches actually questioned the score but didn't "officially" issue a challenge. They had every right to correct the wrong before the next match. And they KNEW Miller ACTUALLY won.

Ignoran and indefensible.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Your father is right. No specific rule, the coaches actually questioned the score but didn't "officially" issue a challenge. They had every right to correct the wrong before the next match. And they KNEW Miller ACTUALLY won.

Ignoran and indefensible."

Given all that has now come out, I agree. My initial reaction was that the coaches blew it. Evidently not. It was the NCAA.

John Drumm added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Jim goes into a deli for some cold cuts. As Jim approaches the counter he notices a digital sign that reads "now serving #157". Jim also notices folks pulling numbers out of a device on the counter. Yet,Jim is standing around the deli counter line for 10 minutes watching folks pull numbers and get served ahead of him. Finally feeling like he's getting a raw deal, he talks to the butcher. Jim says to the butcher "I have been in line for over 10 minutes so why can't I get some cold cuts?" Butcher asks "do you have a number to present"? Jim-"No". Butcher- "without your number customers don't know who is before them and it would be chaos in the market plus you have been in line for over 10 minutes and you didn't notice folks taking numbers and also see my large digital sign?" Jim says- "It's not my first time at the deli". Butcher- "Thanks for making my point".
To summarize, this cluster should fall on the Head Coach 1st & Committee 2nd. Come on Head Coach little flags were flying all day! Plus, The committee shouldn't use form over substance to reach inequitable result against a wrestler who earned a victory.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Hank,
I guess that means that I will be coming to your deli soon so please have a number ready for me or have it in a place that I can see.
Thanx,
Jim

John Drumm added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Good butchers ask folks if they need a number like an ideal official would ask if you want to challenge and raise your flag when you come to the table, but lot less hassle at a deli and a lot less at steak.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Today Hank would ask me "what can I do for you Sir?"
Back in his coaching days I would ask him "what can I do for you Coach?".
I like what he is selling me today better than what he was trying to sell me back then.
BTW, his products are outstanding.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Zeb's insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H95C4_yq4vw&feature=em-upload_owner&app=desktop

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Zeb says "do the right thing"-- many others since time began have cried out for it, often to no avail. PERHAPS its the constant outcry of civilization. Certainly its a constant theme.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097216/

i hate committees, goes back to my working-for-a-living-days.

every time i see things done the right way it usually involved one person with competence having the authority, ability and desire to "do the right thing" -- by their very nature committees often facillitate lousy decisons. But i digress.

Looks like Tom "Ray Finkel" Minkel played a role in the decision. Go figure.

Pretty sure Hellickson or JRob would have influenced the decision differently. It would have gotten ugly really quickly if you crossed those guys and they were in the right. They know wrestling rules better than 99.9%. Zeb mentions the two rewrestles, which happened at NCAAs, Minnesota and OSU.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Looks like Tom "Ray Finkel" Minkel played a role in the decision. Go figure.

Pretty sure Hellickson or JRob would have influenced the decision differently. It would have gotten ugly really quickly if you crossed those guys and they were in the right. They know wrestling rules better than 99.9%. Zeb mentions the two rewrestles, which happened at NCAAs, Minnesota and OSU."

I was at that NCAA tournament. Tim Harris of Minn vs Steve Baer of Nebraska. I recall Harris almost escaping while sliding away on his back, and Baer pinned him. 1995.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19950316&id=na9dAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tV0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5152,3113268&hl=en

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

When I first heard about this incident, my thought was that Andrassy blew it. To some extent that's true. he wasn't sure of the score...he didn't raise the flag.

But I've also since found out that the scoring system had to be overridden to give the TD to realbuto. In other words, the system doesn't allow you to input 2 unless you first give the opponent one for an escape. That's where the whole thing baffles me. They knew there was a problem and ignored it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

When I first heard about this incident, my thought was that Andrassy blew it. To some extent that's true. he wasn't sure of the score...he didn't raise the flag.

But I've also since found out that the scoring system had to be overridden to give the TD to realbuto. In other words, the system doesn't allow you to input 2 unless you first give the opponent one for an escape. That's where the whole thing baffles me. They knew there was a problem and ignored it.

Thanks Doug! I am taking that article and posting it to Eric Smith on FB. Basically the same step around that Gadsen used. It gives me goosebumps when I read JRobs quote.

Hank-
I figure you have seen the bout sheet with override +2 added.

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 25, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Bob -- here's my favorite poster on committees. http://www.despair.com/committees.html

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next