Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Official 2015 "DotNet" NCAA Wrestling Championship "Debrief" Thread
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 21, 2015

Obviously we should wait until the finals are concluded this evening (I'll post tomorrow afternoon; I wanted to preemptively create the thread), but I thought it would be interesting to make a thread in which we can articulate in bullet point fashion our personal "debrief" observations/highlights/musings of this year's NCAAs.

I'm really interested in reading everyone's thoughts. Heading out to watch; have a great night!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The Official 2015 "DotNet" NCAA Wrestling Championship "Debrief" Thread
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

The Bucks finally got the right kids into the program that could win a National title. You don't win without points.

Super impressed with Nate's development. I thought the top two (Delgado and Garrett) had a big enough head start in development that catch up was unrealistic. I think the thing that impresses me most is that his finishes were so good that there was no room for his opponents to scramble. That was different than the beginning of the season.

Snyder is a stud; that being said I don't want to see him in a deep underhook with his hips in ever again. I saw him get thrown in the Jr Worlds from the same type of position. I saw my brother get thrown from the same type of position in the state finals. You don't wrestle there unless it is your area of specialty. 'nuff said about that.

Logan was so good and consistent for so long. There is a reason that only four guys are 4xers. The odds of everything going right for four years are slim. It would be a testament to the program if they can be the first program to produce 2 x 4 NCAA Champions. Go Nato!

Props to Bo! He scored a lot of points and wasn't quite as good on his feet as Dieringer. A freshman Bo was probably a bit better than a freshman Dieringer.

KCourts. I read that they adjusted his training. I would be interested to see if that is code for shorter duration and more recovery. I suspect Kenny's biggest struggle is the volume of training associated with a D1 program.

Would be interested to see Zebs extended version of what happened this weekend after seeing his tweet.

I saw Andrassy talk about Ian being fragile. The thing about Ian is that he is so strong but lacks some much needed flexibility which leaves him prone to injury.

Moisey. Having great light weight coaches that have your back is a sure fire way to kick start your improvement.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

I've gained a new found interest in D1 wrestling this year as a direct result of being a part of the dotnet community. Generally speaking, I would only keep track of guys I had been interested in or recognized at the high school level. Lots and lots of good stuff going on here. I'm really looking forward to next year's Pick'Em.

I've been humbled at the reality of my own pride in thinking I could pontificate on "what so and so needs to do" as it relates to D1 wrestling. Some good dudes with actual credentials on the forum helped broaden my perspective in a way that gave me pause in a way that permitted me to embrace truth graciously. #SorryKenny

The B1G was a wonderful personal experience for me; first time I'd ever been. The atmosphere when I walked in made me feel like I was walking into a more sophisticated version of the "Tough Man" contest held at fairground. #EverythingMattered

Niemann texted me that the section I was in @ B1G would be the Illinois section so I could wear my BLACK dotnet shirt without any problems. It wasn't. I ended up in the Hawkeye section...which was just to the left of the Penn section about 50' away. Apparently there is some type of hierarchy within rural demographics as it relates to the term "Hillbilly". #CelebrateDiversity

Rex becomes more extroverted in his postings during NCAAs than any other time of the year, which is greatly appreciated.

I may not fully understand the dynamics, but it seems very difficult to move up on the bottom man from the top position under the current rules without a) him escaping or b) getting called for stalling. Conversely, Delgado is infamous for hanging on a leg for eternity.

I learned not to pick an injured guy; the competition at the highest level is just too elite for that to statistically pan out, no matter what you'd like to happen.

Tomasello is the ultimate Battle Troll.

I-Mar is thuggy fresh and possesses prison strength. I just can't believe we were denied seeing him and Miller. #TheJets&TheSharks

I'm still dumbfounded that the Miller/Realbuto match was not worked out. Policy should be a guide to human decision and you can't come up with a policy for every conceivable possibility. Yes, he should have used the goofy flag (which makes everyone feel awkward, as you can tell by their body language whenever it is used) but the consequences were HUGE for the guy who had no responsibility as it relates to petitions.

I heart BoJo but The Ringer seems like a slightly stronger, older version of him...just out of reach due to the sovereignty of when they were born in time and space. On that note, it appears BoJo is capable of crippling anyone when he gets a leg in and starts down the path to Splitsville. (The Ringer, Cousin Isaac, Morse all broke or cried out before they were broken.) #Ouch.

This dude has a ton of matches on his youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2krkGg4PUsuBhhct6owCRA

It seems Cael was the only one who got calls overturned...twice and resulting in victory. #HeftorDiscernment?

At some point in all three of their finals matches I winced for a femtosecond for Tomasello, Stieber, and Snyder as I though they were in danger. (I hated that Snyder got caught and thought the ice cream comment was silly, but I'm not him and I didn't just accomplish what he accomplished.)

I don't care for the smoke and music during the entrances as I would prefer pageantry and honor for the particular event. #ThisIsSparta

Can you image the credibility of the recruiting right now for tOSU. #"We'llGetYouThereQuickly!"

(Maybe more later as I ruminate.)

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Nice write up Justin.

For me, this championship brings about a newfound respectability to Ohio State. One that it always wanted and the State of Ohio deserved.

In talking about sports, it is always what have you done for me lately. Well, it's lately and the Bucks are National Champs.

Seeing the pic of Tom Ryan and Urban Meyer that J.D. used as a status update on FB was one of the coolest things I have seen. But, over the last couple of days, I have seen lots of cool things that make me smile.

I like the saying, I was country when country wasn't cool.

I feel the same way about wrestling and the general background of everyone on this board. We have a history with wrestling and an emotional attachment that is deep and pure. Wrestling will gain in popularity as a result of this title, but wrestling has and always will be the best sport there is.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

I know that Mrs. Cruiser and the Lil' Cruisers have sacrificed for the sport over the last month or so but...

"Niemann..............GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :)

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Watch how Moisey slings Gilman back away from the line like at bale of hay around the :50 marker...good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oy8J-npi9I

He and I-Mar were 2 of my favorites to watch this year.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

JHayes, You, sir, are my literary idol. You have such a kind way with words..."Tomasello is the ultimate battle troll" and "IMar is thuggy fresh and possesses prison strength". Do you sit around and make these up or are they coined by a greater wordsmith? Maybe these aren't quite as good as the throwback yappi blasts of the DC AD, but stellar nonetheless! Thanks for the entertainment, brother! :)
-Shep aka CincyCoach

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"JHayes, You, sir, are my literary idol. You have such a kind way with words..."Tomasello is the ultimate battle troll" and "IMar is thuggy fresh and possesses prison strength". Do you sit around and make these up or are they coined by a greater wordsmith? Maybe these aren't quite as good as the throwback yappi blasts of the DC AD, but stellar nonetheless! Thanks for the entertainment, brother! :)
-Shep aka CincyCoach"

I'm an Idiot Savant (emphasis on "Idiot"), but I do all my own articulation stunt work on the fly.

I have a particular way of processing information (especially what I see) that would take an entire thread to explain, but here is a cliff notes example in "real" time:

Chris Shepherd. Was gracious to me and my team once when he didn't have to be. Western Brown. Mt. Orab. Mount Horeb. Ten Commandments. Truth outside of myself that I so desperately need. Process, Parcel, Store, Articulate:

"Chris Shepherd is a faithful man of the first water, tried and true!"

(I'll retain it, then add to the compartment labeled "Shep" in my brain as more intel comes in from things like the "Wrestlers Anonymous" thread, conversation, postings, interactions, etc.)

No impure motives for describing Martinez or Tomasello; those were phrasings of deep rooted gladiatorial admiration.

NaTo is too short to be a "Battle Elf" and too tough to be a "Battle Hobbit".

You can just tell I-Mar revels in proverbially stripping his opponent of his newly bought commissary toothbrush and Snickers. (He isn't content to know he's the "Yard Boss"...he demands everyone else know it, too.)

I've tried to tamp down my critical wordsmithing for a number of reasons of conviction, however, I falter at times.

RE: DCS. I've never known of an infrastructure that consistently leaves whole families "shell shocked" with the reality that their well intentioned, wholehearted sacrifices to provide their children a Christian Education meant very little to the institution...which results in good people struggling with cognitive dissonance between their faith in Christ and the end result of their DCS experience.

Last edited by Justin Hayes on March 28, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

#MindBlown

#InAweOfHisOmnipotence :-)

"Shep & Niemann" seems like a good working title for a Private Investigations firm...jus' sayin' : )

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

""Shep & Niemann" seems like a good working title for a Private Investigations firm...jus' sayin' : )"

I get to be the comically chubby jokester! Niemann, that means you're the analytically cerebral brains of the operation. I carry a shotgun. You get a nice Smith & Wesson. Deal? :-)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Ha! If I'm the brains of this operation, we're in trouble.

But, yeah! Deal!!

► Add to the Discussion