Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Wire To Wire
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Posted this on the mat so even the haters have to acknowledge:

"Preseason: Minny is the team to beat...Schiller, both Dardanes, Ness, Storley...5 potential finalists...Ohio State is too inexperienced.

Early season: Iowa has emerged. Every starter a potential placer. Beating everyone in sight....Ohio State has injuries and took 2nd in Vegas...lost two duals on criteria...just not there....

Later in Season: Maybe it's Mizzou with Waters, Cox and Houdashelt and a great lineup...they're beating everyone....three likely champs....Hunter is hurt badly and who will make the finals besides Logan?

Big Tens: Great tourney for Ohio State but Iowa should have won it. Bucks peaked too early. Some of those guys won't score at NCAA's. It's still Mizzou or Iowa.

NCAA Tourney: With three frosh in lineup and no Hunter Stieber in terms of scoring, OHIO STATE LED THE TOURNAMENT FROM START TO FINISH!

Three young wrestlers, one more flawless effort from Logan and a minor miracle in Courts took the Bucks from wire to wire. Congrats to the wrestlers, coaches and their families. Every wrestling fan in the country should take a moment to at least acknowledge that this was seldom seen brilliance in a team that had every reason not to be this good. Congrats to the Buckeyes. You are the National Champs."

(Pause for a moment before beginning your posts about how good PSU will be next year or the pros and cons of Iowa.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Point of note: there was a point in time (between the end of 125 and the start of 141) that I think Iowa had the lead. But I'm sure it's easier to go with end of round results, so, yes, W2W!

Go Buckeyes!!!

ps: does PSU even have wrestling anymore??? ;-)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

" ps: does PSU even have wrestling anymore??? ;-)"

lol, i think next year u wil find out that, yes, they do.

true story, i recall maybe 15 years ago, restaurant in Fargo---- i was with the dean of college writers Ron Good of AWN. i said the power is moving east. At the time i was thinking 4 schools, Penn st, Ohio st, Michigan, Lehigh.

Ron didnt believe it, told me there was only maybe 4 schools that could win it-- (and none of em was Penn st or Ohio st).

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Hank,

Champion Poster of Interesting Wrestling Analysis

Fantasy Grade Team Selections - not so good

At least you won an award.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Posted this on the mat so even the haters have to acknowledge:

"Preseason: Minny is the team to beat...Schiller, both Dardanes, Ness, Storley...5 potential finalists...Ohio State is too inexperienced.

Early season: Iowa has emerged. Every starter a potential placer. Beating everyone in sight....Ohio State has injuries and took 2nd in Vegas...lost two duals on criteria...just not there....

Later in Season: Maybe it's Mizzou with Waters, Cox and Houdashelt and a great lineup...they're beating everyone....three likely champs....Hunter is hurt badly and who will make the finals besides Logan?

Big Tens: Great tourney for Ohio State but Iowa should have won it. Bucks peaked too early. Some of those guys won't score at NCAA's. It's still Mizzou or Iowa.

NCAA Tourney: With three frosh in lineup and no Hunter Stieber in terms of scoring, OHIO STATE LED THE TOURNAMENT FROM START TO FINISH!

Three young wrestlers, one more flawless effort from Logan and a minor miracle in Courts took the Bucks from wire to wire. Congrats to the wrestlers, coaches and their families. Every wrestling fan in the country should take a moment to at least acknowledge that this was seldom seen brilliance in a team that had every reason not to be this good. Congrats to the Buckeyes. You are the National Champs."

(Pause for a moment before beginning your posts about how good PSU will be next year or the pros and cons of Iowa.)"

Nice post - Penn State? Aren't they only the third best program in their state? :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"Hank,

Champion Poster of Interesting Wrestling Analysis

Fantasy Grade Team Selections - not so good

At least you won an award."

Bruce: It takes unusual skill to choose as poorly as I did. Thanks for the acknowledgment.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Ron didnt believe it, told me there was only maybe 4 schools that could win it-- (and none of em was Penn st or Ohio st)."

Iowa, Oklahaoma State, Minnesota, and who...Iowa State?

Cornell?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Edinboro?

Davidson?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 22, 2015

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Ron didnt believe it, told me there was only maybe 4 schools that could win it-- (and none of em was Penn st or Ohio st)."

Iowa, Oklahaoma State, Minnesota, and who...Iowa State?"

well it waa about 15 years ago, so Ron meant Iowa, Iowa st, Okla, MN and Okla st. MN was close in 99 and won it year 2000 i beleive it was. Thats how i recall it. Whatever it was 4 or 5 teams only,

Certainly Iowa state has since fallen out of the picture, and recruiting has gotten tougher for the OKla schools though john Smith will always get his share. OKla Sooners struggling a bit. And AZ st will now be encroaching from the West.

i keep waiting on Michigan and i thought that Lehigh would take off as a coaching change loomed-- Lehigh right there on the Penn-NJ line. Lehigh Valley, Grace Hall, all that tradition, monied boosters and loyal fan base.

Penn st & Ohio St on schedule. Cornell close.

► Add to the Discussion