Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Hodge Fan Vote
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I know Bo won it....and I'll guess jaggers. Having said that a 4th buckeye won it.....can you recall him Bob?"

Jamie, u got the 3 hs Hodge winners from ohio, Logan 2010, Bo in 2013, Jaggers in 2004-- only 3 ohio have won it, im looking at the list WIN sent me.

DougB help me out, im drawing a blank? i get Luke Easter, longest HR ever hit Municipal Stadium. ..s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

I'm referring to Cody Gardner. He is always an example of how difficult d 1 wrestling is. That kid caught so much grief for unfulfilled potential. Very soft spoken kid with a great family.....you have to LOVE wrestling to succeed at that level.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I know Bo won it....and I'll guess jaggers. Having said that a 4th buckeye won it.....can you recall him Bob?"

Jamie, u got the 3 hs Hodge winners from ohio, Logan 2010, Bo in 2013, Jaggers in 2004-- only 3 ohio have won it, im looking at the list WIN sent me.

DougB help me out, im drawing a blank? i get Luke Easter, longest HR ever hit Municipal Stadium. ..s/BobP"

Bob, Luke Easter's teammate came within a close play at first of winning something that Ted Williams and Rogers Hornsby won twice.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Doug and Bob: Similar topic. Watched a Sports Time Ohio special on Al Rosen. Didn't realize how fine a player he was or how injuries ruined him. Came within a hair of winning the Triple Crown which is one of the hardest feats in baseball. Would have won it if he'd just sat out his last game but refused.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Doug and Bob: Similar topic. Watched a Sports Time Ohio special on Al Rosen. Didn't realize how fine a player he was or how injuries ruined him. Came within a hair of winning the Triple Crown which is one of the hardest feats in baseball. Would have won it if he'd just sat out his last game but refused."

saw same special, Al Rosen just died btw, age 91 or so. Jewish fellow. Reminds me Hank Greenburg how terribly he suffered in the 30s, had porkchops thrown at him by opposing teams..

Greenburg i believe came to Municipal stadium Cleveland the last day of season in 1938 or so, with a Doubleheader & with 58 HRs-- now that was when FIFTY EIGHT was a Mt Everest number, pre-steroid, pre-small ballparks, pre-jacked up ball and 8 less scheduled games than today.

with 58 and chasing the Babes 60, i believe Greenburg chose not to play the doubleheader, it was a Jewish holiday. Is that correct Doug or Hank or anyone?

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Bob, here's an article from last year:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2014/09/23/hank-greenberg-detroit-jewish-holidays-yom-kippur/16126643/

classic example of moral dilemmas we wrestle with, sometimes no right answer. In the Legit Era, only 2 guys hit 58 behind The Babe-- Jimmy Foxx & Hank Greenburg. A BIG number and a BIG Man, imo.

Cornell and the NCAA committee wrestled with a "moral dilemma" in the Miller vs Realbuto match-- how did they do?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

I don't know about Cornell--I don't know what they did after the match or anything, but it's hard to find them, of all people involved, as the culpable ones.

The NCAA committee should be disciplined, educated, and perhaps shuffled up. That sort of decision making should not be tolerated in collegiate athletics' governing body. Unacceptable that they had the opportunity and power to overturn a CLEAR and easy decision but chose instead to blame a coach WHO EVEN QUESTIONED THE SCORE.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I don't know about Cornell--I don't know what they did after the match or anything, but it's hard to find them, of all people involved, as the culpable ones.

The NCAA committee should be disciplined, educated, and perhaps shuffled up. That sort of decision making should not be tolerated in collegiate athletics' governing body. Unacceptable that they had the opportunity and power to overturn a CLEAR and easy decision but chose instead to blame a coach WHO EVEN QUESTIONED THE SCORE."

It was absolutely criminal.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"quote="Mike Taylor"]If you are referencing the Jr Hodge then yes Logan did win that. I remember listening to his acceptance speech.
Oh,and I voted too...2x"

MikeT u right, i just checked with Mike Finn editor of WIN-- he tells me WIN (Mike Chapman) created both awards and sponsors both, sharing the Hodge with Culture House (Chapmanā€™s publishing co.) and the Junior Hodge with the AAU.

Finn tells me Logan will be THE FIRST to win both college and hs Hodge, which the hs was first awarded in 1998.... College in 1995.

having said that- David Taylor, who for some mysterious reason didnt get the HS Hodge and won 2 college Hodges, imo he should have won both but Logan will be the first.

TRIVIA QUESTION, without googling, what other TWO ohioans won the high school Jr Hodge???? Total of 3 Ohioans have won it. ...s/BobP[/quote]

Bob,
just looked up the winners of each and found that Steve Mocco won the JR Hodge in 01 (I believe) and the Hodge in 05. Logan would be the 2nd.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Bob, as I remember that Luke Easter HR, it hit the small scoreboard on the far end of the upper tier, right side. Unless my memory is playing tricks, which it does too often.

Was it the longest? I don't know. That may have been before they came up with measured numbers. Mantle and Frank Howard had some long ones.

But the center field bleachers remained virginal.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"Bob, as I remember that Luke Easter HR, it hit the small scoreboard on the far end of the upper tier, right side. Unless my memory is playing tricks, which it does too often.

Was it the longest? I don't know. That may have been before they came up with measured numbers. Mantle and Frank Howard had some long ones.

But the center field bleachers remained virginal."

Shel, when I was in kid, sometime in the early to middle 60's, my buddy Dave and I went to Jet Stadium (later Cooper Stadium) in Columbus, Ohio to watch the Columbus Jets play baseball.

The Jets' star was Bob Bailey. The team they were playing had a guy playing for them named Luke Easter.

Later research revealed that Easter played AAA baseball after his major league career was finished, and that one of the teams he played for was the Rochester Red Wings. I'm convinced that was the team the Jets played that day.

Easter retired from baseball in 1963, so I'm guessing 1963 was the year I saw him. I would have been 11 years old. Dave and I took the bus to watch the game, which was not uncommon for the time. You don't see 11 year old kids traveling without their parents today.

Anyway, I don't remember anything about any of those AAA games from 50+ years ago, excepting two times Luke Easter was up at bat.

He hit two absolutely towering home runs over the right field fence. I had never seen anything like it. Those baseballs looked like golf balls.

It's remarkable to me that I would hold the memory of those two batted balls, but...

You had to be there to see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Easter_%28baseball%29

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

"Bob,
just looked up the winners of each and found that Steve Mocco won the JR Hodge in 01 (I believe) and the Hodge in 05. Logan would be the 2nd."

MikeTaylor u r sharp, even the WIN editor missed it, i just emailed him to "stop the presses". BobP

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"Bob, as I remember that Luke Easter HR, it hit the small scoreboard on the far end of the upper tier, right side. Unless my memory is playing tricks, which it does too often.

But the center field bleachers remained virginal."

u right Shel, center field bleachers never hit-- the Indians had the seat Luke Easter hit in upper right field painted a different color to commemorate his mammoth blast.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Effing Mocco.

Sorry but give me Tom Rowlands and Nick Gwiz any day of the week over guys like Mocco and Nelson.

A match between Tommy and Nick G would have been epic. Final score of around 12-10 (Tom would win of course).

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next