Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: When you see it
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

I wanted to write a piece on evidence that coaching took place which made a difference in the athlete and their subsequent performance.

A written test is analogous to athletic performance. Typically on a written test, you will have the chapters and lecture given for which you are responsible. Pretty much anything within that material is fair game. You will get tested on it and dependent upon how well you know the material, your score will reflect it.

Same thing for wrestling. Each match is a test of how well you know the material and are able at act in accordance to the material presented. It does not do any good to work on things that will not be tested. Only the positions and situations which manifest are tested.

Why it matters. In wrestling, you have the ability to influence the material upon which you are tested. To a degree, you determine the positions which are engaged. You have to be responsible for positions which take place. If you are able to create positions for which you have advanced experience, knowledge and affinity, it gives you an advantage. Also, if a position presents for which your opponent has advantage, you have to get back to a neutral position at the very least. That is what you are graded on in a nutshell. As an aside, this is why handfighting is becoming a huge deal. There is not better way to influence the direction of a match than with excellent handfighting. Think Aaron Pico and the directions his matches take.

How do you prepare for that test? Do you spend a lot of time doing marginal stuff? No. You have to meet a baseline of excellent conditioning which you are able to replicate each time out. Conditioning is a bit of a catch-22. You can only stress the machine so hard before you have negative results. Each machine is different, some have a Hemi and others run on a V4. It does no good to push a V4 like a Hemi. It is going to fail. It takes an understanding of the machine and its output. If it is a V6 and you run it too hard for too long, it will have mechanical issues. Kind of like Sammy Brooks from Iowa. I loved his wrestling back in December and January, but as with any machine that focuses too much on conditioning, it will likely start putting out submaximal efforts towards the end of a cycle. Kenny Courts is not a Hemi. His style of wrestling is dependent upon quality attacks and a moderate pace. While bracketing certainly played a role in outcome, he looked primed to wrestle as best he can.

With regard to Matt Brown of PSU and the locked hands call against Wilps in the finals. I knew I had seen something. Something special happened. At first, I did not agree with it but after further reflection and collecting more information, I gained a new respect for PSU Wrestling. Here is why what the staff and Matt Brown did is special. The rule on locking hands and reaction time changed this past year. In accordance with the rule change, the staff implemented a change. They worked on that position in practice hundreds of times for that given scenario. In a match, in which both wrestlers are likely equals, what do you think is going to make the difference? Yes, it comes down to one position and exchange. Knowing that, the PSU staff prepared for it and was able to use a rule to their advantage. Smart wrestling engineered through preparation.

Here is Matt Brown post presser:
http://www.snappytv.com/tc/521945

Malcolm Butlers interception in the SuperBowl.
When interviewed about the interception, Robert Kraft told the story of how Belicheck prepped Butler for that exact scenario during the week prior to the SuperBowl. Smart football engineered through preparation.

Again, the theme plays out. Two opponents evenly matched. The outcome decided by one position in which one athlete is more prepared than the other due to a coaches influence.

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 25, 2015; edited 2 times in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

keen analysis Rex, a pleasure to read it.

like u i hated thatt Brown won 5-4 on a late stalling point that tied it then a locked hands with almsot no time left. But i wonder did Penn st coaches really influence both calls? i have to still look at the presser, maybe that will clarify a bit?

While I have always thought big names like Brands and Cael can influence a referee due to their presence matside, I think the right calls were made by the referee.

The glitch in the no reaction time rule is that if bottom man leans forward while upright and drops to a knee, his elbows are plastered to his sides, making it impossible for the top man to release his lock instantly.

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 25, 2015; edited 1 time in total

It was without a doubt a flag waving moment. The thing that bothered me is that Brown grabbed wrist control from that position which is tantamount to forcing the locked hands. However, after further consideration Wilps already met the criteria for locked hands prior to that and Brown was simply trying to point it out to the referee.

Thanks Bob.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"While I have always thought big names like Brands and Cael can influence a referee due to their presence matside, I think the right calls were made by the referee. "

interesting in controversial Jordan Oliver-Logan title bout, John Smith did Not get the call- would have been easy for ref to give it to him.

Rex i just watched Matt Brown presser, u right of course, he speaks of practicing the locked hands drill, keen insight by u apperciated by me. ...s/BobP

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

I like the stalling call with holding onto leg below the hip, even though there are more egregious examples of stalling in college wrestling. Riding below waist is what frustrated me most about collegiate wrestling in the 13-14 season. Concerning current rule, the wrestlers can hear the count -- the ref is yelling it out -- and they know the rules. Wilps had the match in the bag but made two mistakes that cost him the match.

I agree Brady. The low leg ride is bogus. It is nothing but erasing time and frustrating your opponent. It was fair game to pursue, not anymore. With last years rules, Wilps wins that final.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I like the stalling call with holding onto leg below the hip, even though there are more egregious examples of stalling in college wrestling. Riding below waist is what frustrated me most about collegiate wrestling in the 13-14 season. Concerning current rule, the wrestlers can hear the count -- the ref is yelling it out -- and they know the rules. Wilps had the match in the bag but made two mistakes that cost him the match."

I hate the obvious stalling from the neutral position, where the leading wrestler is only looking to grab the hand or wrist of his opponent to prevent any attack.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2015

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"I hate the obvious stalling from the neutral position, where the leading wrestler is only looking to grab the hand or wrist of his opponent to prevent any attack."

I would equate the "dropping to the legs" as a top-man stalling strategy to "circling away/backing out" from the neutral position.

Hand fighting is engaging in the sport. Neither of the other two strategies represent wrestling.

► Add to the Discussion