Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Biggest concerns for OSU 2015-16?
Matt Hall added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Will Nate and Kyle take an Olympic red shirt?

Rosselli has to be a hot coaching commodity. Any chance he takes another job? I would think Rosselli is sticking around at least until the 2016 Olympics are finished. Would he then consider a college coaching position? Any chance he takes over for Bruce Burnett as Olympic head coach?

PSU will be loaded.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Good topic.
1) The moment after Tom Ryan held up the first place trophy, PSU became the favorites for next season. Based on their recent history and the talent they have coming out of redshirt, I don't see how it could be seen any other way.

2) Bucks return 2 finalists, a 3rd, a 5th and Hunter. How good will Hunter be? Will he even be able to compete next season? No one knows. As to the rest of the lineup, we know there is talent: JDJ, Martin, Tav/Haines, Micah and Young K-Hayes. Should be a terrific dual squad with lots of upside...and certainly a team with potential to challenge for an NCAA title again.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

How I see OSU stacking up v. PSU next year:

125: Megaludis is fantastic. Nate is a national champ, and looked darn near impossible to beat at the end of the season. But, I will take off the homer goggles and call this a wash.

133: Gulibon has the nationals hardware, but Johnni beat him twice at B1G's. In a dual meet this is a toss-up. At nationals Gulibon has the advantage based on past performance. Also, if Retherford goes 149, maybe Conway wrestles here and Gulibon takes 141? If that's the case I say advantage OSU.

141: More confusion. If it is Hayes for OSU and Retherford for PSU, advantage PSU, as Zane will probably be the front runner to win the title. But, if Hunter goes back to 141 and is 100%? Hmmmmmm. Regardless, I give this weight to PSU, as OSU will likely either have a true freshman or someone coming off major surgery, while PSU is likely to man the weight with an AA (whether is is Retherford or Gulibon).

149: Basically the same as 141. Now, if Zane stays at 141 and Hunter is back and healthy, then Hunter over Beitz no doubt. But advantage Beitz over Jake Ryan I would think. And advantage Zane over basically anyone except 100% Hunter.

157: Micah v. Nolf. Two awesome redshirt frosh. Tossup.

165: Advantage Bo. By a ton.

174: Martin v. Nickal. I'll call this a tossup as well.

184: Courts v. McCutcheon. Kenny's beat him both times they've wrestled, including on the biggest stage. But McCutcheon is young. Still, slight advantage Courts.

197: Snyder v. McIntosh. 2nd in the country v. 3rd in the country. 1-1 against each other last year. But, Mac was a RSJR, and Kyle was a true frosh. Slight advantage Snyder.

285: Nevills v. Tav/Haines. Tav was injured most of the year and Haines was injured for all of it. I'll go slight advantage PSU.

PSU is going to be really good next year. I think OSU will be right there to challenge them. I think a healthy Hunter will be the key to repeating.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

On paper, we could actually have a much higher scoring team than what we had this year. Yes, we've lost the bonus point scoring machine, Logan. But overall it looks to be a deeper, more complete squad. Obviously PSU is a prohibitive favorite. But I'd call the Bucks contenders, in the right scenario.

Here are the question marks...

141- Hayes, Hunter, or JDJ?

174- Martin practically cut his leg off to make weight this year. It's not happening next year. So who mans the weight? Does Bo bump up? If so, who fills 165?

184- Kenny vs. Martin could end up being the wrestle off here. Martin will be much more sustainable at a higher weight. This will be closer than one would think.

133- Does Rodriguez get into the line-up as a frosh? Can JDJ even make it back down for another season?

285- Will Haines be healthy? And if so, Healthy enoug to give Tav a run for his money for the starting spot after 2 solid years in training as a B1G heavy?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

My biggest concern for this upcoming season is whether I'll open my fat mouth on the #DotNet.

And, of course, not getting caught while stalking. Or violating court-ordered restraining orders. Those are concerns.

As for the team...I've read and re-read this forum to know one thing - I have absolutely NO CLUE what's going on.

#OWNit

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

If Snyder takes an Olympic RS, I'd be tempted to move Mark and Kenny up a weight; we may have another Heflin scenario. Some guys just better suited at a higher weight.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 26, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"And, of course, not getting caught while stalking. Or violating court-ordered restraining orders. Those are concerns."

You may end up being a legal trailblazer for something like a "Class Action Protection Order" for an entire demographic (college wrestlers) or something, which would be kinda cool in its own right.

#OWNit!

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"If Snyder takes an Olympic RS, I'd be tempted to move Mark and Kenny up a weight; we may have another Heflin scenario. Some guys just better suited at a higher weight."

Yes. I was wondering the same thing. Could Martin end up leap frogging Kenny for the 197 spot? I know his cut is significant. With a year in the weight room like Heflin did, it's feasible.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

If Mark Martin can't make 174, would't it make sense for him to redshirt and then go 184 in 16-17 after Courts is out of eligibility?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"If Mark Martin can't make 174, would't it make sense for him to redshirt and then go 184 in 16-17 after Courts is out of eligibility?"

Yes but he may never start again if he does. Myles Martin and Kollin Moore will presumably be coming off redshirt. Both could be at 184. No given M. Martin beats them out.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"If Snyder takes an Olympic RS, I'd be tempted to move Mark and Kenny up a weight; we may have another Heflin scenario. Some guys just better suited at a higher weight."

I'd be surprised if Kyle doesn't take a redshirt next year. He has a couple of ways to qualify now and I believe his ultimate goal is gold. Seems it would be hard to pass this opportunity up. If he had won the title I think it would have been a done deal. If that happens I would think that both Mark and Kenny might move up.

Second thing I got, is while at the NCAAs I got to talking with a couple of Wisconsin fans and they seemed convinced that Isaac was going to transfer to OSU. Is it possible since he has already taken a redshirt? I don't see it but wow it is fun to think of three Jordans in the lineup at one time.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

My biggest concern is where will they find room for another National Title.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"
Second thing I got, is while at the NCAAs I got to talking with a couple of Wisconsin fans and they seemed convinced that Isaac was going to transfer to OSU. Is it possible since he has already taken a redshirt? I don't see it but wow it is fun to think of three Jordans in the lineup at one time."

A transfer within the B1G? I don't see this happening. Wisconsin isn't going to release him. And he would lose a year of eligibility to do so.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2015

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"
Second thing I got, is while at the NCAAs I got to talking with a couple of Wisconsin fans and they seemed convinced that Isaac was going to transfer to OSU. Is it possible since he has already taken a redshirt? I don't see it but wow it is fun to think of three Jordans in the lineup at one time."

A transfer within the B1G? I don't see this happening. Wisconsin isn't going to release him. And he would lose a year of eligibility to do so."

Is it the Coaches call or the Schools call if they let him go?

If its the coaches then maybe they would because Wisconsin gets a lot of kids from Graham so maybe they let him go so it doesn't screw up the relationship with Graham.

Last edited by Jim Kessen on March 27, 2015; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next