Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: My Hobby/Interest (Outside of Wrestling)
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"So maybe you bike guys can give me some insight:

In my travels, I acquired a 10 speed racing tandem (for free) that was fabricated in 1976; it had Italian words on the wheels and part of the frame but I couldn't link it to anything or find anything about it online.

It was beat up pretty good, but was big, rangy, and fast (way too big for a former 103 lber).

I put it on craigslist...and folks went bananas trying to undercut each other to get to it first (my phone blew up).
"

I don't know if I can help but do you remember the name on it?
The most common names might be Masi, Cinelli, DeRosa, Frejus, or Pogliaghi.
If it was any of those, I imagine there might be some demand for it.
Did you sell it?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: My Hobby/Interest (Outside of Wrestling)
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"J

Bought a Guerciotti steel framed bicycle sometime around the Lemond era. Full Campy super record. Still have it, and it stays in my spare bedroom. Can't chance leaving it in the garage.
"

Nice old world steel bikes still ride really nice. A buddy of mine still has his Guerciotti from about 1985 or so.
I have two Campy SR bikes but don't ride them much. Are you aware of what that stuff is worth? Take a look on ebay and I bet you will be stunned.
All my stuff lives in the house. Being retired and single allows for that!"

I paid about $1500 for it. Bought it in Delaware, Ohio. Couldn't afford a Ferrari, so I thought I'd buy something on the same level in a different sport. I could never sell it, but I know people relish those old classics.

Jim, how old are you? Where do you live? Did you ever try to go after 25 miles in less than an hour? I never came close, but some of my local friends got it.

You must be a terrific masters rider. I remember that Ned Overend was a great masters mountain biker. Ever meet him?

I also remember seeing Eric Heiden racing with 7-11 locally some years ago. Freakiest legs I ever saw.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 28, 2015

"

In my travels, I acquired a 10 speed racing tandem (for free) that was fabricated in 1976; it had Italian words on the wheels and part of the frame but I couldn't link it to anything or find anything about it online.

It was beat up pretty good, but was big, rangy, and fast (way too big for a former 103 lber).

I put it on craigslist...and folks went bananas trying to undercut each other to get to it first (my phone blew up).
"

Did you sell it?"

Bianchi? (Light green.)

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 29, 2015

"

I paid about $1500 for it. Bought it in Delaware, Ohio. Couldn't afford a Ferrari, so I thought I'd buy something on the same level in a different sport. I could never sell it, but I know people relish those old classics.

Jim, how old are you? Where do you live? Did you ever try to go after 25 miles in less than an hour? I never came close, but some of my local friends got it.

You must be a terrific masters rider. I remember that Ned Overend was a great masters mountain biker. Ever meet him?

I also remember seeing Eric Heiden racing with 7-11 locally some years ago. Freakiest legs I ever saw."

I seem to remember a shop there named something like "10 Speeds More or Less". Is that even close?
I turned 64 two days ago and live about 30 miles east of Cleveland. I have been under 60 minutes for 25 (or 40K) a number of times, none of them recently.
Terrific?? Hardly!! I would say that I was a decent regional rider. Ned Overend is National/World class and is FAR better than I ever was. I needed to pick different parents.
Not that anyone else cares but here is a story with some stuff about Ned.
http://stevetilford.com/2015/03/24/racing-for-training-or-training-for-racing/
I raced against Heiden in maybe 82 or 83 in LeRoy NY. I actually beat him. In 85 he became the US Professional Road Champion. His ability was far above mine.
Since this is a wrestling forum (and I doubt most folks care about this at all), if you have any questions, email me at jim.behrens@gmail.com. I will be happy to answer anything I can.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 29, 2015

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 29, 2015

"

"

I also remember seeing Eric Heiden racing with 7-11 locally some years ago. Freakiest legs I ever saw."

I seem to remember a shop there named something like "10 Speeds More or Less". Is that even close?
I turned 64 two days ago and live about 30 miles east of Cleveland. I have been under 60 minutes for 25 (or 40K) a number of times, none of them recently.
Terrific?? Hardly!! I would say that I was a decent regional rider. Ned Overend is National/World class and is FAR better than I ever was. I needed to pick different parents.
Not that anyone else cares but here is a story with some stuff about Ned.
http://stevetilford.com/2015/03/24/racing-for-training-or-training-for-racing/
I raced against Heiden in maybe 82 or 83 in LeRoy NY. I actually beat him. In 85 he became the US Professional Road Champion. His ability was far above mine.
Since this is a wrestling forum (and I doubt most folks care about this at all), if you have any questions, email me at jim.behrens@gmail.com. I will be happy to answer anything I can."

Thanks for the response, Jim. I'll check out the link. Yes, it was 10 Speeds, More or Less in Delaware where I bought my bike. John Rehark was the owner. Great guy.

Given that I can't run anymore, maybe it's time to get on the bike and get on the road. I've tried the stationary bikes at the gym, and I have about 1/4 of the strength I had two years ago, when my goal was to outwork everyone at the gym spin classes. LOL.

I'll be 64 in December, by the way. I'll be in touch. Thanks again.

Bruce,
Thanx for making me turn bright red!
I have never even seen that photo, where did you get it?
I will say that this was the day when I realized that I was getting old. Guys in younger age groups absolutely crushed my times in various events that day. A very humbling experience for sure.
Ah, glory days!!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 29, 2015

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

" "

I can just make out the tattoo.

I think it is a Molly Hatchet style 1970s executioner riding a dragon with the phrase "Ol'Skool Deth Dealer" (in Baskerville Oldface font) written underneath it...

Last edited by Justin Hayes on March 29, 2015; edited 2 times in total

"

"

"

Did you sell it?"

Bianchi? (Light green.)"

Red. I feel foolish now for not finding someone who could tell me what I had acquired for free...and sold for $250.00...

I want to hear from Gran Torino; I have no doubt a post-modern worldly wiseman does more than THE Ironman, socializing with Bill Barger under a tree late into the night, and mentoring fatherless Hmong boys... : )

"

I can just make out the tattoo.

I think it is a Molly Hatchet style 1970s executioner riding a dragon with the phrase "Ol'Skool Deth Dealer" (in Baskerville Oldface font) written underneath it..."

Close!!
It really is Mighty Mouse, my favorite cartoon character when I was growing up.

BTW, this tells me that I should not dispute small details that a coach might notice.

Jim Fox added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

"Jim Fox, we're calling you out! : )

Tell us something about submarines."

Hobbies don’t really have any. Most summers my wife and I enjoy going on 3-4 day trips around the region. We try to go at least once a month starting in April. Sometimes we just get in the car without a destination and go. We enjoy going to baseball games so a lot of times we work that into it. Not just the major league teams because we found that the minor league stadiums and atmosphere is just as good.

This summer I will be involved in something a little different. I belong to the Submarine Veterans of Cincinnati. Last fall we were able to get the diesel engine and the sail/conning tower off the USS Cincinnati SSN 689 brought to Cincinnati. The city is going to have a park/memorial for Navy/submarine Veterans downtown on the riverfront. Of course politics is now involved so who knows when it will get started. In the meantime we are going to refurbish the outside of sail and make it ready. The owner of the Reds wants the diesel to put on display in the stadium. I will be part of the group to overhaul and work on the diesel. The owner had originally wanted it ready for the All Star game but of course politics had to get into the way that also.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Golf. Love it. After being in a wrestling room all winter, love getting out and relaxing on the course. Have gotten my daughters involved in it this past year so that is a tremendous added bonus. Wife enjoys coming out -- but just to drive the cart.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Golf. Love it. After being in a wrestling room all winter, love getting out and relaxing on the course. Have gotten my daughters involved in it this past year so that is a tremendous added bonus. Wife enjoys coming out -- but just to drive the cart."

You let your wife out of the kitchen? Hmmmm.. interesting.

;-)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Golf. Love it. After being in a wrestling room all winter, love getting out and relaxing on the course. Have gotten my daughters involved in it this past year so that is a tremendous added bonus. Wife enjoys coming out -- but just to drive the cart."

You let your wife out of the kitchen? Hmmmm.. interesting.

;-)"

She drives the cart barefoot.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next