Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: My Hobby/Interest (Outside of Wrestling)
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Quote from Jim Fox's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Jim Fox, we're calling you out! : )

Tell us something about submarines."

This summer I will be involved in something a little different. I belong to the Submarine Veterans of Cincinnati. Last fall we were able to get the diesel engine and the sail/conning tower off the USS Cincinnati SSN 689 brought to Cincinnati. The city is going to have a park/memorial for Navy/submarine Veterans downtown on the riverfront. Of course politics is now involved so who knows when it will get started. In the meantime we are going to refurbish the outside of sail and make it ready. The owner of the Reds wants the diesel to put on display in the stadium. I will be part of the group to overhaul and work on the diesel. The owner had originally wanted it ready for the All Star game but of course politics had to get into the way that also."

Awesome, let us know when it is all set and I'll head down to Cincy and check it out.

Not being silly here; I've always wondered: If there is a breach in a submarine would death be instantaneous from the pressure or would it be like in the movies where the water level fills up and you end up drowning with your nose 1/2" from the "top" of whatever you room you are in?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: My Hobby/Interest (Outside of Wrestling)
Jim Fox added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

[quote="Justin Hayes"]

"[

Not being silly here; I've always wondered: If there is a breach in a submarine would death be instantaneous from the pressure or would it be like in the movies where the water level fills up and you end up drowning with your nose 1/2" from the "top" of whatever you room you are in?"

Justin
You can ask any question that you would like about submarines. I enjoy talking about it. I have spent over 1900 days underwater during my career. To answer your question it is yes and no. Several variables come into play. Depth at which you are at, temperature of the water & if you are able to stop the flooding. An air pocket would be formed at the top but it would not last very long. Here is the reality of it, bottom line if you don’t stop the flooding, you’re not going to survive. A submarine is divided into 5 compartments. Two of those compartments are so big that if either one of them become completely flooded the submarine would sink to the bottom. Depending on the depth of the water the submarine will implode (Yes I know what depth and No I’m not telling) and at that point it would be seconds before death occurs.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

"Justin You can ask any question that you would like about submarines. I enjoy talking about it. I have spent over 1900 days underwater during my career. To answer your question it is yes and no. Several variables come into play. Depth at which you are at, temperature of the water & if you are able to stop the flooding. An air pocket would be formed at the top but it would not last very long. Here is the reality of it, bottom line if you don’t stop the flooding, you’re not going to survive. A submarine is divided into 5 compartments. Two of those compartments are so big that if either one of them become completely flooded the submarine would sink to the bottom. Depending on the depth of the water the submarine will implode (Yes I know what depth and No I’m not telling) and at that point it would be seconds before death occurs."

That's over 5 years, brother...wow.

Do they give a psychological evaluation or something similar beforehand?

Also, I'm not very mechanically oriented so forgive my ignorance:

Are there air tanks or something for long hauls so you don't run out of oxygen?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3