Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State will no longer fund wrestling - 2016
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"Please forgive my ignorance here but when the NCAA wrestling tournament comes to Cleveland in 2018, will CSU see any of the revenue from that (since the MAC is one of the listed hosts)?"

Friend of mine that works for the MAC told me that CSU has nothing to do with the D1 tournament being here. Nor did they have anything to do with the basketball regional this past weekend.

Fact is, if things depended on CSU hosting, Cleveland wouldn't have the events. At least that's what I was told.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Just the other day I was talking to a guy at the gym- Danny- who wrestled at Cleveland State in the early to mid 80's. Light weight class in college.

He went to Big Tens this year, and we talked about that, and Nationals. I am certain he didn't know about what's happening with the Cleveland State wrestling program.

I'd bet anything this AD is going to have a much bigger fight than he anticipated. Much bigger.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I hope there is a fight. This is sick.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Words cannot describe how angry this makes. Hank and I have had several very candid conversations about the program at CSU. I've always tried to keep my comments on this forum on the "bright side".

Is it possible for the program to meet these ridiculous funding milestones? I suppose... but if feels like extortion to me.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

This sickening news made me recall a topic in this forum some time ago regarding the funding the wresting receives.

http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5035&highlight=funding

At the time the article was written, CSU spent a whopping $362k on their wrestling program. If the $800,000 and $5million numbers are correct, that would mean the wrestling program will get $150,000 per year (assuming a 3% annuity on the endowment).

While this money would assure the continuation of wrestling at CSU, it would do little more than keep the programs head above water. I would think that if the program wants to "flourish" as a self funded sport, the number needed for endowment would have to be much larger.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"Please forgive my ignorance here but when the NCAA wrestling tournament comes to Cleveland in 2018, will CSU see any of the revenue from that (since the MAC is one of the listed hosts)?"

Friend of mine that works for the MAC told me that CSU has nothing to do with the D1 tournament being here. Nor did they have anything to do with the basketball regional this past weekend.

Fact is, if things depended on CSU hosting, Cleveland wouldn't have the events. At least that's what I was told."

I was wondering if it was like football is w/ their bowl games. A team earns money for the conference then all teams w/in that conference receive a portion of said revenue. Was wondering if the MAC will get any kick back from the NCAA in Cleveland since they are listed as one of the hosts and if so would the schools w/in the MAC receive a share.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

this is the time when we have to make a decision... We have to get involved, over the next few days let's develop a course that can be followed, there are very intelligent, driven guys on this site, proven in wrestling and life. with in a day or so we can have a few ideas to move on, some have already started.

We all have bosses and it may start with theirs, the board.

We need a coach,- hank, its either you or you can pick one, but let's add resolve to our anger and determination.

Tim Ward added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Cleveland State Athletic Hall of Fame (Wrestling):
Paul Azzariti '71 inducted 2003
Lee J. Barylski '72 inducted 1982
Richard E. Bonacci coach inducted 1983
Thomas D. Cavanaugh '76 inducted 1989
Al Digiovanni '79 inducted 2009
Anthony W. Digiovanni '76 inducted 1988
Matt Dulka '84 inducted 2005
Dan Foldesy '87 inducted 2004
Matt Ghaffari '84 inducted 2006
Gerald Harris '03 inducted 2013
Toby Matney '90 inducted 2000
Gary Sorace '75 inducted 2007
Ron Varga '81 inducted 1994
Frank J. Yoo '74 inducted 1985
David Zahoransky '89 inducted 2004

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"this is the time when we have to make a decision... We have to get involved, over the next few days let's develop a course that can be followed, there are very intelligent, driven guys on this site, proven in wrestling and life. with in a day or so we can have a few ideas to move on, some have already started.

We all have bosses and it may start with theirs, the board.

We need a coach,- hank, its either you or you can pick one, but let's add resolve to our anger and determination."

Love this. Although I will still help with fundraising to support my current teammates and allow them to finish their careers, I think we all realize it is not a long term solution. Not decent recruit is going to come here now. The only way to truly fix this is to get the board to change the decision.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Brandon: Grateful that you've been supporting your program in the face of criticism. Your insight is important.

Bill: I think Wrestlers In Business is planning to take the lead...hopefully in conjunction with some of CSU's alums. I plan to be involved with whomever takes charge. I am not the guy to drive this type of endeavor....not connected enough to the program nor a strong enough leader.

I do plan to start doing fundraising on behalf of the program after the holidays (Easter and Passover) end.
I can run a weekly auction on the Mister Brisket Facebook page and try to raise 50--75 bucks a week. Seems like the least I can do.

Tim Ward added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Viking All-Americans:

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-wrestl/2014-15/releases/2015021440awet

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

As I see things...

All the money in the world will not fix the current problem, which is, as I see it, an administration that is in the dark/deliberately negative concerning the sport of wrestling, the benefits of the sport, and/or the university's surrounding area as far as the sport is concerned.

I have no inside information concerning the relationship between the AD and the coach/team but if the AD does not support a program, how is it supposed to excel? Moreover, when he puts roadblocks for success in place, what then!?

Perhaps this has been stated before, but if wrestling wants to see any growth at the NCAA D-I level, it is going to have to get administrations on board. What better way than to get a wrestler (or someone who sees the benefits of the sport) in a top position? ie Edinboro, WVU, Ohio State, etc...

To Hank's point... If a person or group is going to spearhead things, I would think having Wrestlers In Business do it is a great move. They are already organized, they have countless contacts, and can have a greater impact (because of but not limited to these first two points) than me, my computer, and a twitter hashtag.

That's all I have for now.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Hank- understood, it's times like these when I know I am a simple man with few friends, most days I like that, but it's times like these when it would be nice to have someone in the know

Mark don't discount your computer, it will keep us all up to speed and directed, as well hank what your doing and what u have already proposed it's what's is needed support!
You have a good heart and we can all give a little so these young men may get their team back

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Hank- understood, it's times like these when I know I am a simple man with few friends, most days I like that, but it's times like these when it would be nice to have someone in the know

Mark don't discount your computer, it will keep us all up to speed and directed, as well hank what your doing and what u have already proposed it's what's is needed support!
You have a good heart and we can all give a little so these young men may get their team back"

Bill,
Totally unrelated but if you are interested in being added to my email list (coaches and officials) that I send stuff too, send me your email address. I never send junk but generally stuff I find interesting and that I think other wrestling folks would want to know.
I am at jim.behrens@gmail.com if you are interested. If not, no issue.
BTW, Skilton still gets my stuff as a retiree so you can ask him about it.
Jim

Matt Hall added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Here is a letter I just emailed to CSU including board members and some media...

To whom it may concern,
I am very disappointed in hearing that Cleveland State University will no longer fund wrestling and will replace it with Lacrosse. I am an alumnus of Cleveland State and have been very impressed with the changes the University has made over the last few years.

The decision to drop wrestling is a decision in which I am not impressed. I don’t understand the reasoning. Boy’s wrestling nationally had 269,514 high school participants in 2014. Ohio had 11,430 participants. Boy’s lacrosse nationally had 106,720 high school participants in 2014. Ohio had 4,108 participants. Wrestling is the 8th most popular boy’s high school sport in the nation. Lacrosse does not make the top 10.

This information is available at http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/PDF/2013-14_Participation_Survey_PDF.pdf

The article I read on Cleveland.com said “The moves are a result of a "program prioritization process" led by Athletic Director John Parry that explored factors including funding, competitiveness and national trends, the university said in a statement.”

I would like to address the reasoning mentioned in the article. Let’s start with funding. I assume Cleveland State does not plan on spending less funding on Lacrosse than it does on wrestling so why make a change? With regard to national trends, you can see based on the statistics from the national federation of state high school associations that 2.5 times more participants compete in wrestling than Lacrosse nationally and even a greater percentage in Ohio. So why make the change? With regard to competitiveness, I agree Cleveland State hasn’t been near the top of the NCAA Div-I standings. However, this year Cleveland State did make great strides including sending two wrestlers to the NCAA National Championships where both wrestlers won matches. The 125 lb wrestler, Ben Willeford had an incredible quarter final match with eventual National Champion from Ohio State. I recommend that you watch the match here.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252093-2015-NCAA-D1-Championships/video/764334-125lbs-Round-2-Nathan-Tomasello-Ohio-State-vs-Ben-Willeford-Cleveland-State

Also, with regard to competitiveness, my understanding is Cleveland State did not fund 9.9 scholarships allowed by the NCAA. How does Cleveland State intend to compete with upper echelon teams without offering many scholarships? According to an article on themat.com, Cleveland State is one of the least funded programs in the entire nation. Do you think all things being equal that Lacrosse will fare any better than wrestling?

Did you know the 2018 NCAA Div-I National championships is will be held in Cleveland? The wrestling National championships are sold out every year. This event could be an unbelievable opportunity to spotlight Cleveland State in a positive light. Instead it could shed light on a school that dropped a sport that is representative of its students.

Thanks for your time,

Mathew Hall

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next