Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Can Bo Beat Dieringer?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

I was reading some projected line-ups today on themat.com.

Can Bo beat Dieringer next year if they are at the same weight?

I'd be interested in the observations/perspective of others on this one (subtle cough, cough...Rex).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5W_z0PlEls

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Must avoid things like 4:07 if one does want to win the match.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Today? No. He's got to get a lot better if he wants to win that one. Dieringer is a lot better on the feet, and Bo's relative deficiency on bottom is too much of a liability against a guy like Dieringer. You have to be able to get that escape point against a guy that hard to score on--especially when he's dodging your banana split by taking injury time out. Got to make them pay for that by taking bottom when you get your choice of position and escaping.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 30, 2015

Bo can beat Dieringer. I am sure of it esp. after watching the video.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Hank, what part of that match helps you envision Bo winning?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Can you improve that much in the necessary positions within a year? Yes, absolutely.

Is it a lot of improvement? Yes

Is Bo as good an athlete as Dieringer? Yes, but both have unique talent.

Will Dieringer get better between now and then? Yes, but it likely will be small incremental gains from this point forward.

Bo already has a niche of positions which he excels. But, his hand position and reactions on his feet have to account for a wrestler of Dieringers skill.

Of the three freshman, all had enough skills to win it this year, but it is my opinion that NaTo did the best job of marrying everything together in one cohesive style and when you eliminate mistakes, wonderful things happen.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Hank, what part of that match helps you envision Bo winning?"

1) Bo rode Dieringer well and probably could have kept him down had he not gotten sloppy.
2) Dieringer took him down off Bo's bad shot and off an elbow post. Bo can improve his positioning a lot on his feet.
3) Bo's favorite TD is simply to clear his opponents arms and head then grab a leg with his long arms. It's not pretty but often works. He'll need to improve on his leg attack set ups to beat a wrestler of Dieringer's caliber. He certainly can.

I had the good fortune to watch Josh Greenspan take on Kevin Boross three weeks in a row during the 1996 post season. Boross was the defending state champ and able to dominate the first matchup. The district match was closer with one big move making the difference for Boross. In the state finals, Boross panicked when he couldn't generate offense because Josh knew how to protect against it. Josh was able to break through, score in the second period and cruise to a 12-4 decision. The difference between Bo and Dieringer is not vast and Bo is the one guy with the physical power to offset much of what Dieringer does well. He can close the gap a great deal and will benefit a lot from their first matchup.

Alex Dieringer is one of the top 3-4 wrestlers in the country. Bo has the potential to be the same level by next season.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Can Bo beat Dieringer if they're at the same weight? I hope to never find out. Dieringer is a star. Please move up to 174, kind sir.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

A friend and I were talking about this last night and I really think if Bo had wrestled Ringer in the finals the match would have been closer. I don't have anything to back that up but just feel like it would been closer but I still think Ringer wins. I also wonder if Bo had wrestled a full season and got the extra reps in if the match would have been closer.

Bo was clearly the 2nd best kid in the weight and I know reports are the Ringer goes 165 next year but that is a long way off and Okie State lineup is probably better off if he goes 174 and let Chance wrestle 165.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Who knows if Bo beats Dieringer but with a healthy toe he would be better on bottom and on his feet.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"Who knows if Bo beats Dieringer but with a healthy toe he would be better on bottom and on his feet."

That's a question I had. No way for us to judge how much of an impact it could have had.

The other thing that arose is one of my pet peeves. When the bottom man gets to his feet and is driven out of bounds intentionally. That happened twice in this match. There had got to be a way to address that.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"Who knows if Bo beats Dieringer but with a healthy toe he would be better on bottom and on his feet."

That's a question I had. No way for us to judge how much of an impact it could have had.

The other thing that arose is one of my pet peeves. When the bottom man gets to his feet and is driven out of bounds intentionally. That happened twice in this match. There had got to be a way to address that."

I agree. Evans from Iowa is the biggest culprit. He has one hand around the waist and one hand on the ankle and he drives his opponents out of bounds on each restart.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

When I watched the match, I felt like I was watching the Discovery Channel episode where the mighty T-Rex ran into the Spinosaurus (a slightly larger/tougher version of the T-Rex) for the first time.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"When I watched the match, I felt like I was watching the Discovery Channel episode where the mighty T-Rex ran into the Spinosaurus (a slightly larger/tougher version of the T-Rex) for the first time."

Was there ever a "mighty TD-Rex?" I think I saw one in 1993.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 31, 2015

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"When I watched the match, I felt like I was watching the Discovery Channel episode where the mighty T-Rex ran into the Spinosaurus (a slightly larger/tougher version of the T-Rex) for the first time."

Was there ever a "mighty TD-Rex?" I think I saw one in 1993."

I ran into a guy today with cauliflower ear. Being the shy, insular person I am, the conversation went like this:
"Boxing or Wrestling?"
"Wrestling."
"Where?"
"Upper Arlington and Ohio State."
"What's your name?"
"Joel Walker."
"Do you know Rex?" (No additional identifiers necessary)
"Yeah, I know Rex pretty well..."
(End of conversation on that matter as we went about the business at hand; I made my way to a computer and verified he was legit.)

This is just how I roll. ; )

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next