Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Save CSU Wrestling
Tim Courtad added to this discussion on April 9, 2015

Please check out the fundraising link below. It is imperative to all of us former wrestlers to help out one of our own when in trouble. Cleveland State Wrestling is in big trouble and currently has lost all of its funding to continue as a sport.

Wrestlers in Business Network has met with the President and Athletic Director to try to come up with a resolution that will work for all parties. As of now there are a lot of variables that need to happen for all to work out.

The one thing we know for sure is regardless of what resolution we come to they are going to need funding to endow some of their program. Please see below link and donate to help the cause. 100% of the money raised goes directly to saving CSU Wrestling!!!

https://www.crowdrise.com/savecsuwrestling/fundraiser/timcourtad

I appreciate your help with helping us bring back CSU Wrestling!!

I will update you all step by step on our progress.

Thanks,

Tim Courtad
Wrestlers in Business Network
330-310-9849

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Hall added to this discussion on April 9, 2015

Why are there two fundraising sites?

https://www.crowdrise.com/SaveCSUWrestling/fundraiser/wrestlersinbusinessn

Both sites say wrestlers in Business.

Do these sites require a credit card. I'm considering donating but I would prefer to make a pledge. Example, I will pledge undetermined amount if Cleveland State keeps the wrestling team...

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on April 9, 2015

Matt,

The site allows people to compete against each other to raise as much as possible. Both links go to the same fund.

Honestly, I strongly believe at this point after talks with the Administration of CSU there is a good chance we can get this resolved. The one thing we don't want to be is a fundraising sport for other sports though.

We expect some more clarity on the bottom line soon, but funding is going to be needed one way or another. You can help donate now or wait until we have a more definitive plan going forward.

The good news is that CSU has a lot of wrestling businessmen that donate to them. The power of our community is being heard and in the long run this could be a positive. The President is learning a lot about our sport. The Trustees all have ties to our network and trust me that we will use all angles to ensure CSU doesn't only get re-instated, but builds on their recent successes.

There is no reason CSU can't be a top 15 program every year. Edinboro and OSU do it, Why can't CSU? Same demographic area.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 9, 2015

Quote from Tim Courtad's post:

" There is no reason CSU can't be a top 15 program every year. Edinboro and OSU do it, Why can't CSU? Same demographic area."

indeed, why cant CSU? i and many others agree, thus implicit in all of this is a total shakekup of CSU wrestling if it is in fact saved.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 9, 2015

Tim: Thank you for your efforts.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 9, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"indeed, why cant CSU? i and many others agree, thus implicit in all of this is a total shakekup of CSU wrestling if it is in fact saved."

A shakeup is not implicit. CSU is fighting for its life and you still can't resist taking your pathetic pot shots.

If nothing else, all that is happening proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that which insiders already knew....CSU wrestling has always had zero support from the athletic department. They have continually improved over the past few years despite a bare minimum budget. The success they have had as of late is a direct reflection of the hard work, expertise, and dedication of the coaching staff. A staff that has to handle fundraising, PR, and facilities improvement in addition to their actual wrestling related responsibilities.

I cannot reiterate enough that this decision has nothing to do with the success of the program. CSU wrestling was clearly on the rise. It clearly had the potential to be a contender at the national level. It had the potential to be sustained by its own revenue due to its wrestling rich location. This decision came as a direct result of an athletic director who was hell bound on serving his own agenda. CSU wrestling did not bring this upon themselves.

Please stop masquerading as a fan, Bob. Stop kidding yourself. You may have been a fan "before I was born" as you like to point out, but you are not a fan any longer.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6158417#post6158417

If anyone is interested in shirts. $5 of each shirt goes to the WIBN to help save CSU wrestling.

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

Brandon,

I agree that there has been some negative comments about CSU Wrestling on this forum as well as Ohio U. I coached at CSU and wrestled at Ohio U. I am very close to Joel Greenlee and very familiar with the CSU situation with my ties from coaching there and Jason Effner is very involved with the program which happens to be on our WIBN Cleveland Board.

Both programs are underfunded drastically in comparison to the top programs. Edinboro has a small budget too, but they have thousands of kids that go through their summer camps and they have been able to raise a lot of money through that and other sources. It helps that Bruce Baumgartner is the Athletic Director.

Coaching staffs in the top 10 programs make more money then Ohio U and CSU's budgets. Both schools could be powerhouses if backed properly. It is easy to say they are underachieving, but in reality based on budgets they are over-achieving. When you only have 2-3 coaches on a staff and you are competing against schools that have 4-5 coaches and 4-5 alumni training to make the World Team, it is hard to compete. As we all know you get better with wrestling better competition. Having that competition in the room makes all the difference. Especially when you need to get through the grueling NCAA Tournament to All American.

My point about CSU being in the top 15 every year is based on them receiving more funding. They need 2 full time Assistant coaches making liveable wages. They need a GA coach, a club coach, and a couple strong volunteers. We explained to the Athletic Director and President that if they would take the extra $100,000-150,000.00 that they are going to spend extra on Lacrosse and gave that to Wrestling, you would see drastic improvement. It's not rocket science.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

Quote from Brandon Sommers's post:

" Please stop masquerading as a fan, Bob. Stop kidding yourself. You may have been a fan "before I was born" as you like to point out, but you are not a fan any longer."

enough of the personal insults Brandon-- youve never met me, you don't know me -- you seem to have a problem with opinions different from yours.

you have the right to stand up for the program u were once a part of-- and i have a right to my opinion that the program should be better based on my years of observation, a right you don't seem to recognize.

i express feelings alot of people have but few post them to avoid forum vitriol such as yours. Tim Courtad obviously thinks it should be much better based on his post which is why i quoted him.

...s/BobP

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

2015 NCAA Wrestling Division I All-Americans with Ohio ties
Nathan Tomasello - Champion - 125 pounds - The Ohio State
Logan Stieber - Champion - 141 pounds - The Ohio State
David Habat - Second place - 149 pounds - Edinboro
Kyle Snyder - Second place - 197 pounds - The Ohio State
Bo Jordan - Third place - 165 pounds - The Ohio State
Dean Heil - Fourth place - 141 pounds - Oklahoma State
Nick Brascetta - Fourth place - 157 pounds - Virginia
Ian Miller - Fifth place - 157 pounds - Kent State
Nick Sulzer - Fifth place - 165 pounds - University of VA
Kenny Courts - Fifth place - 184 pounds - The Ohio State
Ryan Taylor - Seventh place - 133 pounds - Wisconsin -
Isaac Jordan - Seventh place - 165 pounds - Wisconsin -
Ty Walz - Seventh place - 285 pounds - Virginia

Wouldn't it be great to have all of these guys at OSU, CSU, Ohio U, and Kent St. There were plenty of other Ohio guys in the top 16 as well.

We need to increase funding and follow Tom Ryan's plan on how to be successful at all Ohio colleges.

Main goal is to get CSU re-instated!! The rest is what WIBN Cleveland will be working on to help these programs through outside funding with commitments from the Universities!!!! I love that OSU were National Champs, but they need to have other schools to compete against, so we all need to work together to help ensure we keep our great sport safe!!!

its not wrong to question, random example from the past:

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State Results
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

The lesson for CSU should be the importance of landing a couple quality recruits every year.
---------------------------------

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on February 7, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The lesson for CSU should be the importance of landing a couple quality recruits every year."

What do you mean?
------------------------------

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

Brandon--Here's what I mean.

You have two guys in your lineup that are around top 20 caliber. They're both dominant within your conference. The rest of your lineup is not the same skill level. But when in duals with Lock Haven, Clarion, George Mason, Rider, EMU, Bloomsburg, etc...having two studs that will win every time has made all the difference.

Looking at your current roster, who will step in and wrestle close to the level of these two once they graduate?

I'm glad CSU is having a better season. Beating bad teams is a start and credit is due because for five years, CSU didn't win a conference dual. But will this upswing continue? My feeling is that there needs to be more emphasis on landing recruits who can have a lot of success in D1. Until this happens more consistently, I think challenging for 2nd place in a downtrodden conference is the best one can expect.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"enough of the personal insults Brandon-- youve never met me, you don't know me -- you seem to have a problem with opinions different from yours.

you have the right to stand up for the program u were once a part of-- and i have a right to my opinion that the program should be better based on my years of observation, a right you don't seem to recognize.

i express feelings alot of people have but few post them to avoid forum vitriol such as yours. Tim Courtad obviously thinks it should be much better based on his post which is why i quoted him.

...s/BobP"

Well said BobP. A problem I see with today's PC society is that disagreement is being equated with disdain/hate/etc. And if you say your a fan/friend/etc. then you must therefore be in agreement with everything they do. Both are equally false.

Concerning CSU and other underfunded programs. What Coach Flynn is doing at Edinboro should be the model. Low funded program raising a ton of $ in camps. Something that CSU could build to over the next 5 years -- if they are kept. If they are kept, they should also be looking to get scholarships endowed as well -- this is a major work the HC needs to do.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

Brady: I dig it.

ps: *you're

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 10, 2015

No doubt that Coach Stehura was placed in a poor position from the onset. That has been made clear to me by Jason Bryant and several others in light of the recent announcement by the AD. Primary issue at the moment is to bring sufficient pressure on the administration to reverse the move or find a way to fund all.

I understand how Bob feels. He'd like to see CSU wrestling emerge from this fight in a stronger position. Brandon, your loyalty to Coach Stehura is admirable. These are not necessarily mutually exclusive points of view.

It's very important to fight hard to keep this D1 program. I hope everyone will work together. It will take money and persuasion.

i don't want to "just save it", i want CSU to be strong and it hasnt been -- if that makes me bad then i'm a bad guy. 7 years is a consdierable amount of time, coaching is not a civil service job, open it up.

If WIB are really businesmen they wouldnt run their business this way. 60-80 % of the people reading this agree but are silent. ....Let Bob take the heat, i get it.

let's see who emerges, maybe coach Stehura is the best for the job, i'm Not saying he isn't. i'm Not knocking anyone. But we have to be open. New era. Think like a businessman. ...s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next