Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Dustin Schlatter
Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Is Dustin Schlatter wrestling much more tight than in years past? It seems like he is not blowing people out anymore. His freshman year he would open up on anyone, and it worked out very well for him. He was heads and shoulders better than the number 2 kid in the U.S. He seems to be wrestling more and more like C.P. This started half way through last year. Slowing things down with much less action. This is allowing others to be in the match and maybe steal a win. Please don't get me wrong, I think he is awesome. But why the big change in styles? Is everyone just getting better and figuring him out a bit? I'd like to see him wrestle more like Sanderson - wide open. If he does this, I don't think anyone can touch him, including Metcalf.

What do you think?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

i think Dustin shut down his offense last season--- in fact i commented on it all season that i thought he could lose to one of 2 guys who were great on top, Stornilio of Oklahoma and Gillespie of Edinboro--- but many told me as long as he was winning no problem. Well Gillepsie got the first takedown on Dustin and made it stand up at NCAAs.

some said Dustin had a knee injury that effected him--- could be, i don't know, i cant comment.

this season he hasnt wrestled much, has been out with a hamstring injury --- i read on a Minnesota website recently he is expected to still be out a "few weeks" with this injury--- could be in that loaded 149 class it doesnt bode well to be coming back late in the season after a long time off.

Its like starting a new season vs a bunch of other top wrestlers who are in late season form. ---- But being healthy for the Big Tens & NCAAs is the most important factor.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Case in point, his teammate Roger Kish. After missing a lot of the season, he's back but he's losing. This could bode well for Pucillo if he continues to struggle. And will Mark Perry be effective if & when he comes back?? Didn't Dustin just lose like 8-3 or something? For him that's a huge gap in the scoring.

Ryan Dickson added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

I'm not too sure I agree that Dustin has shut down his offense. Most of Schlatter's points come off of his phenomenal defense, reshots, and collar tie throw-by's/ducks. Opponents scheme for him probably more than any other guy in the nation due to how badly he can hurt someone when they try to go after him. People wrestle safely against Dustin and that is why the majority of his matches are low scoring. I wish someone would come out and try and mix things up with him. Then I believe we would see more double digit scoring by Dustin.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

I encourage everyone to watch the interview with Dustin on FloWrestling. Martin asks him this question, straight up. Interesting answer from Dustin.

I think even he thinks he wrestled conservatively last year. If he opens up, he's unbeatable.

Having said that, and to the point above, it is tougher to score when people consistently run.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

He does best when people wrestle him that way he can do what he wants when he wants. Look at the match with Esposito, Dustin was wrestled in that match and he did what he wanted to do with Esposito.

Metcalf is one wrestler that will go at him hard and that could be what Dustin needs honestly. I think Dustin well rested and healthy will be just fine for Big 10 and NCAA this year.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Case in point, his teammate Roger Kish. After missing a lot of the season, he's back but he's losing. This could bode well for Pucillo if he continues to struggle. And will Mark Perry be effective if & when he comes back?? Didn't Dustin just lose like 8-3 or something? For him that's a huge gap in the scoring."

Jack: I thought DS's only loss this year was to Roberts of BU 3-2.

Raymond Calvert added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Man i was so mad when osu beat minni this sunday me and my friends went don't get me wrong im a okie but i love the golphers and the kid at 149 is trying his best but i just wish schlatter wasnt hurt that could have been a big point swing for us and what was up with rivera that match could have gone any way and the match that wemt in ot at 65 or 74.

Guess im gonna have to wait untill march to see how the golpher do againts osu, iowa, mizziou abd schlatter vs metcalf is gonna be a really good one i hope its in the finals though

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Roe, you're probably right. When they first posted the Minn-Ok, St. results they listed Dustin Schlatter losing 8-3, but I see they corrected it. That seemed like an awful big loss for a guy like Dustin, 8-3. So apparently he's still nursing that injured leg.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on February 5, 2008

Dustin has always been a very controlling wrestler, and when wrestling top collegiate kids that is a very good attribute to have. I have wrestled Dustin before, and I'll tell you that I have been beaten by more points by lesser opponents, but I have not been beaten up by anyone worse than I did with Dustin. Sometimes you have to judge a wrestler by more than what the score shows.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2008

I think that Dustin, while outstanding, has fallen "back to the pack" so to speak (albiet he's still near/at the top of it). He's one of a handful of guys that has the talent to win NCAA's at this brutal weight class. But I'm no longer convinced he'll be a finalist. Maybe injuries are to blame. Maybe he's cutting a lot of weight. Granted, he's only lost one match this season. But given how close his matches are with other top competitors (he still blows away the lesser guys--over half his wins this season involve bonus points), it's hard to see him as the "invulnerable" stud he once was. Maybe that perception was always wrong.

Every year there are a handful of hot frosh that seem like near shoo-ins to win multiple titles. Yet somewhere along the way, they slow down. Most are never as dominant as Dustin was his frosh season but there are many examples of guys that seemed near certain to win a title but never quite became the stars they seemed destined to be. Mack Reiter used to seem like a certainty to win a title. Now it's not clear if he'll even AA this year. Becker from Indiana was an AA as a frosh and a soph. He didn't AA last year and may not this year either. Those are two quick examples of what I'm talking about but there are many others.

I think Dustin set the bar so high as a frosh that people just assumed his dominance would continue unabated. But rarely in college wrestling is that the case. Too many talented guys work too hard. I'm sure he'll continue to be a great college wrestler. But it wouldn't shock me if he never won another NCAA title.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 6, 2008

Hank - good post.

Here is my opinion on the issue.

When I watch C.P. and Dustin, when they shoot... they almost ALWAYS score. Plain and simple. They are that good.

I still think Dustin towers over the competition, with the obvious exception being Metcalf, but he does not wrestle with the same fearlessness he seemed to as a freshman. I think this comes to some degree with age. As freshman, to your point, many are not fighting expectation and are almost not seasoned enough to realize the importance of the matches. Freshman wrestle with wreckless abandon (see Mr. Sponseller).

Did you have a chance to watch C.P. - Poeta at the national tournament last year? C.P. dominated, and I mean dominated, most of the match. In the 3rd he totally was on the defensive and Poeta came back to win.

In short, I will repeat my original comment. I personally believe that C.P. and Dustin are so much better than the competeition that when they attack, they are BOTH unbeatable.

Ryan Dickson added to this discussion on February 6, 2008

So how do you get the Schlatter's to open up? Or maybe someone will listen to the post that he is falling back to the pack, attack Mr. Schlatter and dominance will return!

► Add to the Discussion