Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Recruiting going forward
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bob: Do you think Ohio State wants both Suriano and Lee?"

OH YES !!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

"There's no fence around Ohio....or PA. Ohio produced 12 AA's (I think). Three from Ohio State. The rest competed for colleges outside Ohio. Virginia Tech, Virginia, Wiscy, Okie State all had Ohio guys doing a nice job for them.

Ryan has done a good job nabbing best of best. The Stiebers, Tomasello, BoJo, Micah. That's all you can ask.

I'd like to see more talent choose Kent, OU and CSU.

OU came within a few eyelashes of adding a couple more Ohio AA's. Tywan Claxton--come see me for a sandwich when you come back to Cleve.

Cael is not nabbing every single PA stud. But the ones he really wants, he gets."

Of course there's no fence, there are only so many scholarships on a wrestling team. But he has done a hell of a better at keeping the best consistently in-state based on what he has available to him. In my mind, that's a fence.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

There can't be a fence around any state, given the scholarship limits.

The problem Ohio U., Kent, and Cleveland State face is that they are not BCS football programs and cannot compete at the resource level in comparison to out of state power conference football squads in terms of attractiveness. Kent and Cleveland State also face perceptions about their residence/campus life situations (i.e. kid wants to go to college where there is a "true" campus).

In terms of this past year's NCAA tournament, 13 Ohio native wrestlers were seeded to earn All-American honors. 11 AA's were earned. To say it's an extreme under-performance is wrong, it was a slight under-performance.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

Nick: Read your fence comment without paying attention to the rest of your post. Didn't mean to insult you. Mea culpa.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2015

“Good fences make good neighbors.”
Robert Frost from his poem, Mending Wall
(Frost meant it sarcastically)

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

"If you build it they will come." -Field of Dreams

Sort of. You might just end up with a ball field in the middle of a corn pasture.

Iowa and PSU have pulled 10k through the gates for duals. This seems to be a magic number in wrestling for attendance. Both teams have won titles. OSU just won a title. They are over the hump.10k is in the future. A new facility is in the future. By winning a team title, Tom Ryan just increased the rate of donations and the date on which they will break ground on a new facility. Everyone wants to be associated with a winner. OSU football just pulled 99k to a spring game. You win the fans by winning titles, having superstars and an excellent product. OSU has all three. Growth is and has always been about winning.

How about one stop shopping. tOSU, where you can win an NCAA title as a freshman and continue onto Olympic Gold.

Anyway, a fence is just talk, noise for that matter. Everyone knows that. It is hype and conjecture. Let actions speak. Nate winning a title speaks for itself. Tervel winning a world medal speaks. Nate, Bo and Snyder winning next year would be the ultimate statement. Nate going to the US Open and winning means something.

Talk is cheap and people buy into it. Consequently, it is also the exact reason why we have the leaders in political office that we do.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

""If you build it they will come." -Field of Dreams

Sort of. You might just end up with a ball field in the middle of a corn pasture.

Iowa and PSU have pulled 10k through the gates for duals. This seems to be a magic number in wrestling for attendance. Both teams have won titles. OSU just won a title. They are over the hump.10k is in the future. A new facility is in the future. By winning a team title, Tom Ryan just increased the rate of donations and the date on which they will break ground on a new facility. Everyone wants to be associated with a winner. OSU football just pulled 99k to a spring game. You win the fans by winning titles, having superstars and an excellent product. OSU has all three. Growth is and has always been about winning.

How about one stop shopping. tOSU, where you can win an NCAA title as a freshman and continue onto Olympic Gold.

Anyway, a fence is just talk, noise for that matter. Everyone knows that. It is hype and conjecture. Let actions speak. Nate winning a title speaks for itself. Tervel winning a world medal speaks. Nate, Bo and Snyder winning next year would be the ultimate statement. Nate going to the US Open and winning means something.

Talk is cheap and people buy into it. Consequently, it is also the exact reason why we have the leaders in political office that we do."

What is the scheduled date to break ground for the new facility?

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

"There's no fence around Ohio....or PA. Ohio produced 12 AA's (I think). Three from Ohio State. The rest competed for colleges outside Ohio. Virginia Tech, Virginia, Wiscy, Okie State all had Ohio guys doing a nice job for them.

Ryan has done a good job nabbing best of best. The Stiebers, Tomasello, BoJo, Micah. That's all you can ask.

I'd like to see more talent choose Kent, OU and CSU.

OU came within a few eyelashes of adding a couple more Ohio AA's. Tywan Claxton--come see me for a sandwich when you come back to Cleve.

Cael is not nabbing every single PA stud. But the ones he really wants, he gets."

That Marstellar kid slipped by him. The dropping of Haines for Nevills at the last minute hurt his rep more than I realized at lest according to my PA friends. It will be easier to pull from that state for the next couple of years.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

" That Marstellar kid slipped by him. The dropping of Haines for Nevills at the last minute hurt his rep more than I realized at lest according to my PA friends. It will be easier to pull from that state for the next couple of years."

Marstellar we will see? i think will debut at 157 for okla st-- Penn st has Nolf projected there and he is very good indeed.

re the other matter, Cael didnt exactly drop Haines at last minute. As i understand it Cael showed up on first day of in home visit at Haines house and told him he wasnt recruiting him after Haines had previously pledged to Penn st. Embarrassing yes, a PR problem yes -- but Penn st had not yet officially offered Haines anything. Haines was expecting and maybe he was led to expect, but no official offer could have been made up to then.

i see your friends point, a PR mess, however imo alot will depend on how Haines turns out compared to Nevills? if Cael was right and Nevills definitely superior, alot will be forgiven. After all to bring in Cael who was a complete outsider Penn st jetisoned head coach & former Penn st captain Troy Sunderland-- bottom line winning solves many problems. ...s/BobP

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

" That Marstellar kid slipped by him. The dropping of Haines for Nevills at the last minute hurt his rep more than I realized at lest according to my PA friends. It will be easier to pull from that state for the next couple of years."

Marstellar we will see? i think will debut at 157 for okla st-- Penn st has Nolf projected there and he is very good indeed.

re the other matter, Cael didnt exactly drop Haines at last minute. As i understand it Cael showed up on first day of in home visit at Haines house and told him he wasnt recruiting him after Haines had previously pledged to Penn st. Embarrassing yes, a PR problem yes -- but Penn st had not yet officially offered Haines anything. Haines was expecting and maybe he was led to expect, but no official offer could have been made up to then.

i see your friends point, a PR mess, however imo alot will depend on how Haines turns out compared to Nevills? if Cael was right and Nevills definitely superior, alot will be forgiven. After all to bring in Cael who was a complete outsider Penn st jetisoned head coach & former Penn st captain Troy Sunderland-- bottom line winning solves many problems. ...s/BobP"

Cael was recruiting Haines and during the recruiting process, Cael determined that Haines and PSU wasn't the best fit. The change of heart was partly due to Nevills commitment but other factors played a role too. Now would Cael had overlooked any concerns he had with Haines had Nevills not committed to PSU, probably.

This happens all the time with college coaches and recruiting. Recruiting can be brutal on HS students. One minute your the man and the next minute, coaches call the student athlete and inform them their going in a different direction.

i think thats what i said too, Dwight --however no OFFICIAL offer had yet been made to him, couldnt be until July 1, when Cael visited to back out.

(BTW Ohio St thought they had Nevills when Cael pulled all this off. i hope Haines turns out better, we will see. Haines 4X PA champ, not too shabby.)

from August 2014 issue AWN:
"Nevills is so good that Penn State risked controversy and reneged on their previous VERBAL agreement with in-state star Thomas Haines to offer Nevills instead."

California guru Al Fontes tells me, “Nick
Nevills is by far the best heavyweight to come
out of California and there have been some
excellent heavyweights in the past. Not only is
Nick a great athlete, he is an excellent student
and citizen of his community. I expect great
things from Nick at the next level. Penn State is
fortunate to have a student-athlete of his caliber."

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

I don't know and it was wrong for me to say that. However, in all likelihood winning a team title gives him increased ability to raise funds, which ultimately goes a long way in putting up a new facility.

"I don't know and it was wrong for me to say that. However, in all likelihood winning a team title gives him increased ability to raise funds, which ultimately goes a long way in putting up a new facility."

imo not wrong at all Rex, makes sense-- also makes sense that Gene Smith will reward his best sports programs, he manages 35 i think, and he has discretion of course to move $ around from least productive to most productive.

(thad matta might not get that new carpeting & slurpee machine he wants in locker room, lol.)

"I don't know and it was wrong for me to say that. However, in all likelihood winning a team title gives him increased ability to raise funds, which ultimately goes a long way in putting up a new facility."

I agree also, nothing wrong with your comment. The plans have been around for sometime now and was just curious regarding the starting date to build the facility.

I saw the interior and exterior designs when I visited tOSU this past summer and at the time, Tom Ryan didn't have a date.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 23, 2015

My two cents thought about Ohio State is that winning an NCAA title and consistently having frosh do well at the Big Show has to be a significant recruiting tool. How many programs have had two frosh win NCAA titles in recent years? How many have had five others--Hunter, Tessari, BoJo, Snyder and Lance Palmer--finish top 6?

That's a pretty good case to make to a kid that is trying to decide where he wants to take his talents.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next