Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Recruiting going forward
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 3, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Repeating the question:

Is anybody concerned that Ohio State has only one 125 pounder on the roster?

Gotta be addressed."

Agree but who are you gonna get? You want a quality backup but the presence of NATO means you have no chance to start for three years. Gotta think that 125 will be a high priority for next class.

And/or have to hope the Bucks can find someone to enroll next fall with a good upside.

Bucks really needed Nick Roberts to stick around but he didn't want to be a reserve.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 3, 2015

"Agree but who are you gonna get?"

That's my question.

It's moot, if one doesn't mind the prospect of forfeiting a weight a time or two.

I think Tom Ryan WOULD mind. So I'm actually looking (or hoping) for inside info.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 3, 2015

Steve: I'm sure the Bucks have a "Plan B". Someone in the room will be capable of making the weight if it comes down to it. Perhaps Jose Rodriguez?

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Being new to the forum, I struck internet gold this morning when I found this nugget.
Great insight. Some questions posed here have obviously been answered and new questions have been raised since. Might be time for an update from those that have more knowledge than me.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

talked to Ryan at length at Mich st dual, for recruiting 2 wts are emphasized right now, 125 and 184.

(Note to Ohio kids/coaches, Mich St needs help, started 5 walkons Roger Chandler told me, he has needs, of course Roger an ohio guy himself. He should have $ to spend i think. He told me 125, 174, 184.)

(Note to Steve Lester: Roger Chandler another WEST PARK guy, he told me Ascension church 140th & Puritas. u were right Walz old Brooklyn, but West Prk list goes on & on, Zach Thompson from that 130th area too, St Vincent DePaul.)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Bob: I know you've said Spencer Lee is almost a lock for PSU. But how can they afford him? The PSU roster is littered with high level talent. I can't help but think the Bucks still have a shot. But that's probably wishful thinking.

How does Cael do it?!
For next year
Retherford,Nolf,Nickal,Nevills,Hall,Manville,Suriano all have to be demanding full scholarships. At least any program in the country would offer them full scholarships.
That only leaves 2.9 scholarships for McCutcheon,Rasheed,Gulibon,Cortez,Moss,etc
Most of the roster must not be getting a dime and they could probably get a full ride somewhere else.
It is truly amazing.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"How does Cael do it?!
For next year
Retherford,Nolf,Nickal,Nevills,Hall,Manville,Suriano all have to be demanding full scholarships. At least any program in the country would offer them full scholarships.
That only leaves 2.9 scholarships for McCutcheon,Rasheed,Gulibon,Cortez,Moss,etc
Most of the roster must not be getting a dime and they could probably get a full ride somewhere else.
It is truly amazing."

that's a tough line up, that is amazing.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bob: I know you've said Spencer Lee is almost a lock for PSU. But how can they afford him? The PSU roster is littered with high level talent. I can't help but think the Bucks still have a shot. But that's probably wishful thinking."

when your Penn st or Okla st u play be different rules, think Iowa in Gable's heyday-- i'm told by a guy on one of those teams that Tom Brands was a NCAA champ already but only on a half-schol. Some guys will take one for the team when u get to that elite level that Penn st is now, the level Ohio St is trying to attain.

Bucks do have a shot at Lee because Logan Stieber is now a full-time coach there, but its only a shot imo.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

"How does Cael do it?!
For next year
It is truly amazing."

Matt, you're 110% correct. Some of those wrestlers are on let's say 65% because they want to wrestle for Cael Sanderson. That same wrestler(s) would get a full scholarship at another institution. Also, wrestlers like Cortez is attending PSU on his own dime this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be on a reduced scholarship as well.

At the end of the day, depending on how much a wrestler wants to wrestle for a program, how much debt that wrestler is willing to absorb or parents pay, schools can make it work.

quick google search shows estimated tuition for PSU is $35,000 per year for in state and $48,000 per year for out of state!
Back in Gable's day, I can see where you could convince some guys to chip in half tuition. It was probably a couple thousand. Tuition rates have outpaced inflation by a ton. I can't imagine all these kids are as willing to pay an extra $20,000 out of pocket for a national championship. Especially when, as some pointed out, their majors are undecided,etc.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Matt,

You would be surprised by the number of athletes who fit this scenario. PSU, OSU & IA are exception to the rule.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 28, 2016

There is a lot of $ out there to help kids pay for emir tuition/room&board that doesn't have the words athletic scholarship attached to it.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 28, 2016

Cael Sanderson touches on the scholarship issue:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/wrestling_recruiting_an_inexac.html

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/07/penn_state_wrestling_smaller_t.html#incart_story_package

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on January 28, 2016

"
Back in Gable's day, I can see where you could convince some guys to chip in half tuition. It was probably a couple thousand. Tuition rates have outpaced inflation by a ton. "

I went to OSU from 1976 to 1980, my tuition was $275 my first quarter, and a whopping $325 my last quarter (or about $900/yr). I got married half way through college, and my wife got a job for $3.50/hr that put food on the table, gas in the car, and paid the rent of $125/month, which included all utilities. Our big treat, was to splurge once a month to go to Chi Chi's and have a Margarita.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next