Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Riots and Wrestling
Shel Harper added to this discussion on May 1, 2015

Much to be said on all sides of what's happening in Baltimore. I'll zero in on one: BobP's "personal responsibility" point.

Best example is, I think, the high school wrestler. He stakes his claim to man-upmanship the instant he steps foot on the mat. He says I'm my own man. I'm responsible for what I do or fail to do. I've had training (education) by a coach who cares about me (a good teacher). I don't make excuses, even those that may have substance (the economy, etc.) because my personal pride won't let me go there.

But we still have the gorilla in the room: what is probably the most disreputable group of people, mostly men, in our history: the American Congress.

I sometimes wonder if our "Great Experiment" has produced a failure.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2015

hi Shel,
no failure, rather a tremendous success, imo. Immigrants from all over the world seek to come here, why? opportunity & freedom.

It is said that in America people get the Govt they deserve. We need to take responsibility and remove the dead-wood. (Yes theres that annoying old "responsibility" thing again.)

what % of voters actually vote? The system is in place to work if the people make it work. The founding fathers didnt say it would be easy, but in America today if its not fast & easy then many people give up. (i'm not absolving myself either) ...s/BobP

Joe Marino added to this discussion on May 1, 2015

Bob is loosely quoting Henry David Thoreau in Civil Disobedience. The actual quote is as follow: "I accept the motto that government is best which governs least...and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this (which I also believe), that government is best which governs not at all. And when men are PREPARED for it, that will be the kind of Government which they will have." end quote.

Translation ? When people can take care of themselves and do things the right way, by themselves, the government will not have to do it for them by passing and enforcing laws ! Seem likely ? Hmmm ! :-)

We read the passage in my 11th grade English class each year. Makes the kids think about personal accountability all the time !

Shel Harper added to this discussion on May 1, 2015

BobP. . .all good points. Always good to read you.
I think "failure" applies to our political system that permits the election of a Congress whose public rating is barely above that of rapists. Our country is great and worth defending, but its direction worries me. My solutions are impractical because you can't tinker with a 2015 Cadillac by consulting a 1936 Plymouth owner's manual. My hope is that we have the smarts to self-correct before we self-destruct.

A wrestling question: didn't you years ago refer to the potential of NaTo by quoting an OSU coach about his ability: "We know what we have here" after Nate had committed to them?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 2, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"BobP. . .all good points. Always good to read you.

A wrestling question: didn't you years ago refer to the potential of NaTo by quoting an OSU coach about his ability: "We know what we have here" after Nate had committed to them?"

Shel,

i think the system is in place, the people can make it work.

the quote sounds right, Ryan probably said it -- i know 2 or 3 years ago while NaTo in high school i presented the case here for him to be considered on the short list of Ohio's very greatest hs lowerweights ever-- a very very short list with the likes of Kyle Ott, Harry Lester, Logan Stieber, David Taylor. Looks accurate now.

► Add to the Discussion