Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 'Turn out the lights -- -- --"
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 7, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGxusvUT3k

could be the end of some Mens Non-Revs is on the horizon as king football (which includes mostly pine-riders) gobbles up still more.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Starting this fall semester, NCAA Division I college athletes will get paid. How much and how it's paid out is in question. The answer will be different from year to year and school to school, which is not sitting well with some who have to implement the new rule.

Universities around the country must come up with money to cover the athletic "Cost of Attendance" starting this fall. NCAA Legislation in January added COA to the room-board-tuition scholarships athletes already receive. COA is defined as the money beyond room, board and tuition that will now be added to the athletic scholarship.

Locking down that initial figure has not been easy, because it is based on government financial aid figures. Those numbers vary from school to school, and each institution can come up with its own number. There are a myriad of websites that also devise financial aid numbers annually for each university. Those numbers vary as well.

Athletic directors and commissioners from around the country recently met with this latest NCAA legislation, and COA, at the top of the agenda.

"If there is one thing I've learned, it's there is still a lot of confusion about how this is going to be figured out, and how it is going to be applied,'' Akron athletic director Tom Wistrcill said. "It's clear as mud right now.

"What I do know is every school has to have a 'cost of attendance' number. How people arrive at that (payout) number is their choice. You can have a different number for in-state and out-of-state; living on campus and living off campus. Different players can get different amounts."

For teams in the power five conferences, that figure is a relative drop in the bucket. But for the remaining Division I teams that already struggle with low attendance revenue and rising coaching salaries, the expense can become a budget breaker.

Even before this legislation became official, the University of Alabama-Birmingham dropped its Division I football program due to the strain on school finances.

Speaking strictly for the 12 Mid-American Conference programs, commissioner Jon Steinbrecher offered these estimates. "If an institution does it across the board you're looking at about $470,000 on the low end at one institution to over $1 million at another institution.

"The variables in that are the number of student athletes, the number of sports being sponsored and so forth. That's if you did it for every student athlete."

Wistrcill said; "For me, one of the big challenges is we've got a (financial aid, cost of attendance) government number for every institution, but it was never intended to be used for athletics. Now we're all using this number for something it was never intended to be used for."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 31, 2015

from Columbus Dispatch, bad news for wrestling & other non-Revenue sports:

Beginning on Aug. 1, student-athletes in NCAA Division I will be eligible to receive money from their universities to cover the gap between a scholarship and the full cost of attendance.

On that same date, payments to college athletes are scheduled to begin under the injunction from a federal judge in last year’s O’Bannon ruling, pending the results of an NCAA appeal.

“This is a watershed moment in college athletics,” Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said.

The historic change is expected to squeeze the size of sports programs at many schools around the nation.

Last January, the Knight Commission released a study that found about one-third of Division I athletic administrators, faculty and coaches anticipate a decrease in the number of athletic scholarships offered over the next five years.

Smith, however, said Ohio State remains committed to offering 36 varsity sports despite additional forthcoming expenses because of changes in the traditional college athletic model.

U.S. District Court Judge Claudia Wilken ruled in August 2014 that the NCAA’s restriction of compensation to college athletes for use of their name, images and likeness is in violation of the nation’s antitrust laws.

“You can ask questions all you want, but at the end of the day, you have to have finality in order to have clarity. And we’re not there yet. Even with the ruling, whatever it ends up finally being, you still have a million questions even if you just go down the Title IX route.”

Smith said OSU is one of about 20 schools from the Power 5 conferences that will be able to withstand any additional costs due to the O’Bannon case. Others might not be so fortunate.

“If we don’t win this appeal,” Smith said, “it would be devastating for all the reasons you can think of to certain programs because of the financial impact. Somewhere along the line you got to come up with the $5,000 maximum, plus cost-of-attendance.”

“You’ll have folks on the same team with different dollar amounts based on if they’re from Ohio or not,” said Miechelle Willis, the OSU deputy director of athletics.

Which schools can keep up with rising costs remains to be seen, but it’s clear that amateur college sports will soon be heading into uncharted territory.

“Over the next year or 18 months,” Smith said, “there is going to be a total redefinition of the way we do things.”

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 1, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"...
“Over the next year or 18 months,” Smith said, “there is going to be a total redefinition of the way we do things.”"

If Gene Smith is saying this, things do not look good.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 1, 2015

re Gene -- that poster a few years ago was irate Smith should resign but instead it seems to have invigorated him.

"For the first time in NCAA History, there is a team that won the Women's Rowing Championship three straight times, as third-ranked Ohio State claimed the title.

With the victory, the team joined Ohio State Men's Swimming as the only programs at the university to win three straight NCAA titles. The championship is THE FIFTH for the school THIS YEAR, as OSU also won in football, wrestling, pistol, and synchronized swimming,"

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 1, 2015

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"I am out.

Guys, keep thinking Smith had nothing to do with this, and I will be back when he is gone."

Did I miss breaking news from Ohio State?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 1, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

" Did I miss breaking news from Ohio State?"

yes u did, news is Gene Smith more entrenched there than ever. --naysayer eats crow.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on June 1, 2015

Ironically, I just finished the ESPN: 30 for 30 "Sole Man" on Netflix...highly recommended.

► Add to the Discussion