Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: FIFA Scandal
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

I realize this is soccer but the same Euro mindset where corruption and graft are a normal part of doing business has always permeated the Olympics. No wonder many Americans detest international wrestling. It's often been in the hands of people whose first interest is in handouts.

I don't believe in American exceptionalism as its an excuse for arrogance. But I do admire how our nation has always cared deeply about fairness when it comes to sport. Not saying we're perfect. But we try to get it right. And we do our best not to allow this type of wholesale corruption to take place. Ideals matter. So does character.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I realize this is soccer but the same Euro mindset where corruption and graft are a normal part of doing business has always permeated the Olympics.

And we do our best not to allow this type of wholesale corruption to take place. Ideals matter. So does character."

ah good points my esteemed colleague Hank--

however we do allow scores of Bankers & Wall st execs to bring the US economy to its knees in 2008-- lest we forget it took 1.5 Trillion dollar Govt (aka Taxpayer) bailout to keep economy afloat-- and yet no one has been called to account for what had to be monstrous amounts of fraud & corruption & gross negligence by some of the nations highest paid execs.

yet as of today nary a one --not even 1 --has been prosecuted for anything. However Justice Dept quick to indict FIFA soccer execs, no doubt for very good reason, but the American economy was alot more important than soccer.

Acres of forclosed & abandoned homes in Cleveland are testimony still today.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 27, 2015

As crazy as this may seem, I agree with Hank & Bob!

Hank: when I learned of this scandal, I hung my head and two thoughts went through my head:

#1) I'm one choice away from being considered as crooked as these individuals, and
#2) I wonder if any wrestling body has this level of corruption?

Bob: in this most recent bank scandal - if the banks are willing to pay the 2 Billion+ penalty, how much did they make!? Trillions?????? Buh...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

There's not a big institution that I don't assume is corrupt at the highest levels...American or otherwise.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 28, 2015

speaking of scandal -- --

this Denny Hastert thing gonna get ugly, ex Repub Speaker of House paying $3.5 mil hush money to someone back in his hometown for what?? he was a hs teacher/wrestling coach once -- 3.4 mil alot to pay, whats he so afraid of at his advanced age with no guarantee the person will stay quiet???? big mystery, outcome gonna be a shocker i think..

Dan Strope added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"speaking of scandal -- --

this Denny Hastert thing gonna get ugly, ex Repub Speaker of House paying $3.5 mil hush money to someone back in his hometown for what?? he was a hs teacher/wrestling coach once -- 3.4 mil alot to pay, whats he so afraid of at his advanced age with no guarantee the person will stay quiet???? big mystery, outcome gonna be a shocker i think.."

I agree. This is going to get ugly. This is the same guy that used to parade out at the NCAAs as a "powerful friend of wrestling" yet nothing was ever done to combat Title IX issues in regards to our sport even though he carried a huge power stick. I agree with Michael, it is getting really hard to believe that corruption isn't everywhere.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

Yes, looks like this is not going to end well for Hastert:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ex-house-speaker-dennis-hastert-paid-to-conceal-sexual-misconduct-sources/ar-BBkp6II

And you gotta love this quote from the FIFA head, Sepp Blatter: "...you cannot ask everyone to behave ethically."
Huh?

smh

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

^^^ Likely will not end well for the involved extorter, either, probably heading from perceived payday to the pokey.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 29, 2015

longtime FIFA prez re-elected proves corruption so inherent in system that no one involved really cares, it is accepted.

FBI said they aren't pursuing extortion charges in Hastert case.

re Hastert case, i cant get my head around these details??
...why would Hastert pay anyone (& its a HE btw) after 40 years, u can never be sure silence guaranteed. Why not just deny, what can be proven?
...why wouldnt Hastert as the "victim" of an extortion not go to FBI??
...why so much money 3.5 mil wow, did the extorter wait till Hastert was multi-millionairre lobbyest to come back into Hastert life, has this scheme been brewing all these years, is there much more to it??
...Hastert is a pro, surely he knows you cannot lie to FBI-- yet he did and that is his undoing.
...is this THE TIP of the iceburg ?

► Add to the Discussion