Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Bucks 197 for 15-16
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 25, 2015

If we learned anything this season, it's that NCAA team titles are won in the championship bracket and not the consolation bracket. Just ask Iowa.

It's pretty simple: If NaTo, Hunter, and BoJo make the finals, the Buckeyes have a real chance to repeat. DiJulius, M. Jordan, and Courts will provide reinforcement.

Bucks will have two weak weights — 165 or 174 and 184 or 197. That number could increase to three if Tavanello/Haines fail to produce.

I can't recall a time where OSU's lineup was this unsettled at this point of the year. All of the moving parts will give you a headache.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 25, 2015

In his interview with Flo, Tom Ryan said that Kyle Snyder will not be on athletic scholarship at OSU as he takes time off to train for the Olympics. That's a big chunk of money not being used in 2015-16.

Any chance the Bucks use Snyder's scholarship on a transfer?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 25, 2015

Snyder taking an Olympic red shirt is a blessing. The out of state blue chippers Coach Ryan needs to bring in all have Olympic asperations. His willingness to let Snyder do his thing is a big plus for them...and his international success will just increase tOSU's profile with the Mark Halls and the Spencer Lees of the world.

With regard to the line up, I assume Courts and Martin move up (and I think both will be more successful at the higher weight)and 174 is your "hole". Stieber to 141 is less of an issue for me than his health. A 100% Hunter Stieber can beat anyone at either weight. He's the favorite at 141, but he's right there at 149...anywhere from 1-4. Again, it's all about his health.

I think Tomesello is your favorite at 125. Mega is amazing, but Tomesello beat beat people he didn't. I think they probably split bouts throughout the season and Tomesello has a good a chance as anyone (probably better) to win the title.

Bo Jordan is the likely runner-up. Oklahoma State's 165 isn't moving up.

You really need more production at Heavyweight and 157. How good Haines and Jordan are at this level is still a mystery to me. Finally, DiJulus needs to have a breakout year...big wins followed by more big wins. He needs to do a rare thing in college wrestling. Similar to what Keaton Anderson did...a good wrestler for three years who just blossomed as a senior. It happens a lot in high school, not so much in college. I hope he does. He seems like a good kid and he's certainly put in the time. He'll be on a lot of people first time All American list, and they're right to put him there.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2015

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"In his interview with Flo, Tom Ryan said that Kyle Snyder will not be on athletic scholarship at OSU as he takes time off to train for the Olympics. That's a big chunk of money not being used in 2015-16.

Any chance the Bucks use Snyder's scholarship on a transfer?"

Good question. Another question--will the Ohio RTC be funding him for the next year?

Jason Russell added to this discussion on June 30, 2015

Not just saying this because flowrestling said he looked big, but I thought it was common knowledge that Mark Martin was going to be the guy at 97 next year? Am I wrong?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 30, 2015

Flo said today that Martin reported weighing 198 pounds. That's big for him, but small for 197.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

I spoke with a source close to the team and was told that there is no official stated plan for how the lineup will look this winter. That doesn't mean that there hasn't been discussion among the coaches and the wrestlers themselves, but nothing has been released.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

#bookemdano
184- Courts/Moore/2Martins
197- Same as 184
since size counts, Kollin Moore fave at 197 as of today

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

I didn't think Kolin would be big enough to wrestle 197 but he is wrestling 195 at Disney with a +5 weight allowance. So maybe he is big enough.

I would still prefer he RS and have Martin wrestle 197 but that is why I'm here typing this and not coaching the Bucks.

James, as u imply theres no "good" candidate for 197, size a big factor --but Ryan has to fill the wt with best available, & Moore talented tough kid with more size than the others apparently.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

I don't think Martin cuts back to 174, so what happens to him? RS? 184?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Plenty of small guys have done well at 197. Heflin...Nick Roy (Michigan) jumped up from 174. Max Huntley (also Michigan) AA'd this year at 197 and was not particularly big.

Courts and Martin at 184 and 197 (regardless of who is where) make the most sense. Then make room for the young guys....BoJo (174), My Martin (184) and Moore (197).

If Mark Hall arrives, he'll redshirt then fit in while everyone shifts around. Someone good will sit a year but that's not so horrible.

Kyle Snyder will be your future heavy.

Just my two pennies.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Flo has video of the World team practicing in Colo. and there are lots of Buckeyes in the room, Snyder, Myles Martin, Courts, NaTo, Johnni, KeShawn, Logan, Tom Ryan sparring with Myles, good stuff.

kollin moore wil be the man at 197 next season --- i choose to be optimistic based on good things ive heard about this very tough, dedicated & talented young man #bookemdano

PatA take note https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHpCo1bqwc

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2