Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ohio's Junior National program
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

Well...that ends this discussion!

Nice to see you on here Rrrrex!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

Well put Rex.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

thats well said Rex---- i go to fargo annually because i believe the same as you do. This year with each style condensed from former 3 days to just 2 days --e.g Junior freestyle was 2 days--- was more than ever a "trial by fire". Some top kids wrestled 8 matches in a day, sometimes 20 minutes a part !!

however in fairness in your day there were fewer wt classes and more wrestlers in the popular wts. But this year was esp brutal for the top kids in the popular wts. And anyone who doubled in Greco & freestyle, and made AA in both, i tip my hat !!

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on August 5, 2007

This year had to take a toal on the kids bodies. To wrestle sometimes up to 20 matches in a grand total of just 4 days with only a day to rest.

This year may have been the toughest for kids even though in the past weights were bigger. Just having that many matches in such a small time has to really wear down on the bodies.

I think that Junior Program will be just fine. Just like in football Ohio State may have a down year here or there. Everything goes in cycles so we were just due for a down year this year in which we still got 6 AA's in Fargo for Juniors.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 5, 2007

as i said a problem is getting coaches, i recognized very few familiar faces at Junior camp at st Eds--- mainly coaches Urbas and Dolph and the Hilliard asst coach who does Greco. Continuity counts.

coach Saniuk estimetes 500 of Disney Duals 1500 kids were from Ohio, so no doubt there is a option effecting fargo participation.

how long will st Eds continue to carry the load ? fact is st Eds provides host housing for all Junior camp kids and many Cadet camp kids---- its a bear of a job, if coach Urbas dropped dead tomorrow who would do it ??

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 5, 2007

Bob-
The tournament sounds ridiculously brutal now. I liked it as a three day tournament as it gave you time to regroup and get ready for any remaining round robin matches, a cross bracket match and the finals on the last day.
I was lucky as an athlete as I always had my dad providing support. He was in my corner for every match I ever wrestled during the summertime. It kind of made me proud when other guys on the team would ask him to sit in their corner.
Awhile back, I was talking to Sean Salmon about his Junior National experience and he commented that Coach Urbas had mentally made the difference for him in his match for third place back in the day. I relate that story as I like hearing about people that make a difference.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 6, 2007

Rex,
oh yeh, coach Urbas has made alot of differences over the years-- since i don't live far from st Eds, i've been called a homer by a few people who don't know better----- but i have had quite a few heated differences of opinion with Urbas over the years, but i think in his own way he is a truly great man---- like all humans a flawed man, but nevertheless a great man.

btw, i watched you in Cleveland St Open 2 or 3 years ago, i think your Dad coached you then too.

yes this year particularly brutal for "doublers" in fargo--- used to be Greco 3 days then one day of rest then make wt for FR for 3 days. This year Greco for 2 days, one day of rest then make wt again for FR for 2 days. A double AA both styles wrestled maybe 20 to 22 matches over 5 days against tough comp. Takes real mental toughness and focus plus a durable body, can get hurt in Greco !!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2