Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Alan Fried coaching Medina Highland?
Steve Lester added to this discussion on July 3, 2015

The topic is being discussed on Yappi.

Shocked to see it.

Huge news? Or not?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 3, 2015

Hank,

I think the short answer is yes, I think the years have made us all better people. plus he has guys like Todd hill and Jim scavuzzo developing youth and that's a solid group of wrestlers that may add to this program. Alan has a wealth of talent and skill no one can argue with, he has been working with the youth in medina, he will do great as he applies his past wrestling success to developing a top program

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 3, 2015

does Highland have open enrollment? no small factor when discusing building a program. Is Highland a growing community, like Wadsworth for example?

i don't know Alan Fried's potential as a coach- however i ask about the Highland community because most coaches look similar until they have some talent in the room then the best ones really excel.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 3, 2015

Didn't mean to come across as disrespectful.

Alan Fried is one of the great talents in Ohio history and...to borrow a cliche that's appropriate...has forgotten more wrestling than I'll ever know.

bill, it sounds like he's in a good situation and has all the right people helping. It will be exciting to watch the HIghland program.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 4, 2015

Hank in no way were u disrespectful, based on past and limited coaching experience it's a valid question. Being a great wrestler doesn't necessarily make u a great coach/mentor/ leader, that takes time, as the great mr hunter said, you can't be a great coach until u r done competing, that is a very true and accurate statement, and at this point he is done competing and now can be 100% for the athlete, he has been through a lot and that leads to personal growth, it will be his greatest asset, all aspects of his past, the good and bad.

Thanks for all your effort hank!

► Add to the Discussion