Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Otterbein University adds wrestling
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 30, 2015

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14712

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on July 30, 2015

This is great news for Ohio wrestling and the OAC.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on July 30, 2015

This is awesome news, if you had the chance to play Otterbein AD who are you looking to bring in has a coach? Could be an actual name or specific characteristics you would be looking for. No Tom R. Tom Brands and Cael are not leaving their current posts for this job.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Shawn - would you be interested?

D1 pedigree
Knowledge of central Ohio
Proven success

Sounds like a good resume!

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

I don't know anything about Otterbein, so pardon what may seem to be stupid questions.

1) Is this a reinstatement of a program, or are they starting a brand new program?

2) What conference will they be in/who will they compete (not only in matches, but for recruits) against?

3) Scholarship situation? Can't do athletic scholarships, but can they do academic scholarships for those that qualify if they wrestle?

Dan Strope added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Maybe they should look "Inside the Circle"...for a coach.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Quote from Curt Heinrichs's post:

"I don't know anything about Otterbein, so pardon what may seem to be stupid questions.

1) Is this a reinstatement of a program, or are they starting a brand new program?

2) What conference will they be in/who will they compete (not only in matches, but for recruits) against?

3) Scholarship situation? Can't do athletic scholarships, but can they do academic scholarships for those that qualify if they wrestle?"

1. Reinstatement
2. OAC DIII-John Carroll, Mount Union, Ohio Northern, Muskingum, Heidelberg, Baldwin Wallace to name a few.
3. I believe they can offer academic scholarships.

Coach Brady Hiatt?

Dan Strope added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

They haven't had a team since 1969!

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Great to see Otterbein bring back wrestling. Now my alma mater, Capital, needs to bring back their wrestling program.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"They haven't had a team since 1969!"

i vaguely recall that vintage year as a student at Ohio St U.

The Eagles: "Hotel California, So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969."

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Nice to see Otterbein add wrestling. Hopefully, Zach Mizer can improve Muskingum as well.

Ohio has 8-9 D3 wrestling programs but none are currently among the top programs. That's odd given the strength of this state.

Mark Hawald at JCU will be exciting to watch. I can certainly envision that program becoming among the nation's best over the next several years.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"Great to see Otterbein bring back wrestling. Now my alma mater, Capital, needs to bring back their wrestling program."

Denison had a team until around 1970, I believe. Won the OAC a few times, even near the end. I understand it wasn't dropped for lack of success or financial reasons but because they instituted a thing called "J-term," when they basically gave the students January off 2 out of every 4 years.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

I think a guy like Hawald stays put, JCU is his alma mater. Forum poster is an assistant at Wisconsin-Whitewater (I think), he might have a handle on what the D3 climate looks like, as a coach.

To me, I would love to see a D1 assistant with a small school mindset. I assume Otterbein would pay a liveable wage to the HC.

Would love to see a current or former OSU assistant take over...someone with recruiting pop and cred. Jaggers, Thatcher, Pucillo....I think Rowlands would be awesome, but I think he's firmly entrenched in business world. I know OSU staff reads here, occasionally....not trying to pilfer!

You could see a handful of statewide high school coaches being in the mix, but he would have to be a special candidate.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

James: Appreciate the mention but I've never been very in the college coaching gig. Turned down a few opportunities in the past which would have been tremendous fun/challenging because would have been brutal on family. I also enjoy my current role at Mechanicsburg and my time as husbad/dad to much.

Mistake would be for Otterbein to go after a "name" guy who can't articulate the benefits of an Otter win education and have a passion to develop a program from ground up. I've had some extensive conversations with some DIII and DII coaches (and enjoy my continued time with them) and it's vital to get a guy in there who has a great wrestling mind that understands the DIII athlete mindset (which differs greatly from those in DI). If this isn't in place, the program will flounder in mediocrity.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

Brian, if not a d1 level guy, one of the bigger names i see on the top of the list is current Ohio northern assistant 2x NCAA champ and tiffin Calvert alumni kyle kwiat.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next