Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ronda Rousey
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 2, 2015

Bell rings and she rushes forward, yanks her opponents head and proceeds to pummel her face. It was 34 seconds of schoolyard 101. Rousey is a badass.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

I don't see anyone beating her at 135 outside of maybe Cyborg if she can make the cut.

Cyborg's striking is lethal, while Ronda's is coming along. In the fight this past weekend, Rousey's boxing didn't look overly crisp, but it did the job. It looked to me (a total boxing novice, mind you) like she got the job done by overwhelming Correia, but the shots came from the outside. There could have been room for a counter or two had Bethe been able to eat a few without being disoriented.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

As I posted on the other thread, former wrestler and Olympic silver medalist Sara McMann was doing OK until she took that knee to her body (liver?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hu7JDIwjXg

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

Key for anyone to beat Rousey is to run around the entire first period. Tire her out. Don't stand in the middle and trade blows. Rousey hits like a mule and can take a punch.

McMann probably had a good strategy...Rousey's just really tough.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on August 6, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Key for anyone to beat Rousey is to... "

Inject her backstage with a solution that not only makes her appear normal, but prevents the use of her arms. Once you've developed this miracle serum and implemented it, you'd need to finish her convincingly enough that nobody is interested in watching a rematch.

I'm calling my people at Phizer, Teva, and all of the other numerous drug research manufacturers at which I have contacts. They're going to get on this ASAP. I'll post here with something subtle to tip you all off so we can bet against RR and make a mint and finally get those OWN member fleeces we deserve.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 7, 2015

Her dominance reminds me of Fedor in his prime. Fujita rocked Fedor and almost knocked him out during that span. So, yes, someone could come along and knock her out. The mens division had way more depth, which means there are not as many opponents who provide a serious threat. She will eventually succumb to a young stud, but will likely rule for a long time.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on August 7, 2015

I think she is a wonderful fighter, but I am wondering when more elite wrestling woman decide to train MMA that she may have some more competition

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on August 7, 2015

Quote from Erik Nell's post:

"I think she is a wonderful fighter, but I am wondering when more elite wrestling woman decide to train MMA that she may have some more competition"

This is the biggest thing right now. Female MMA is in it's infancy still. I think she is a good fighter, but her dominance is over exaggerated based on the lack of talent to challenge her.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 7, 2015

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Her dominance reminds me of Fedor in his prime. Fujita rocked Fedor and almost knocked him out during that span. So, yes, someone could come along and knock her out. The mens division had way more depth, which means there are not as many opponents who provide a serious threat. She will eventually succumb to a young stud, but will likely rule for a long time."

Rex,
I'm kinda curious as to your thoughts on her training with a largely male partner group and the impacts it's having on her as a competitor? When the sport fully takes off and there are many, many more opportunities for women to train with other women, do you think that will have an impact on the caliber of product being put in the octagon? We're seeing the effects of this to a small degree in wrestling already, as the opportunities increase for females. We're seeing a different style of technique. We're seeing less upper body injuries (anecdotally reported, of course)from the wear and tear of training with males. What butterfly effect will a more seasoned, deep field have that we're not expecting to see in your opinion?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 10, 2015

Chris-
Regarding the women, I think you will have more interesting fighters to watch at the different weight classes eventually with advanced skills. Rhonda is a mismatch for most and looks beastly.

I think fighting in a few all out 25 minute wars leaves a scar on your soul and body. We are all living on borrowed time, but the less punishment you take allows for a longer reign.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on August 11, 2015

http://www.theonion.com/article/fan-cant-believe-he-left-11-seconds-ronda-rousey-f-50999

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on August 11, 2015

Rousey says that in a "no rules" fight, she believes that she can beat "anyone on this planet".
smh

Anybody want to volunteer to be this generation's Bobby Riggs?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma/ronda-rousey-says-she-would-beat-floyd-mayweather-in-a-ruleless-fight/ar-BBlDh1C

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 11, 2015

Quote from Herbert G. Wells's post:

"Young Logan Stieber verse Ms. Rousey."

I'd take Logan.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 12, 2015

If I were a betting man (Oh, I am!)I'd put money on a Rousey/Cyborg fight before April of 2016. It may even happen as soon as December of 2015. The back and forth banter is happening hourly on Twitter and in the MMA news scene. I thought it would lose steam after a day or two but seems to have gone the other direction. It's going to happen, and soon.

► Add to the Discussion