Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jose Rodriguez
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 3, 2015

Tomasello has three more seasons and is rumored to be moving up after 2015-16. JDJ will graduate. Pletcher is a 133. Hayes is a 141.

Can Rodriguez make 125?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 3, 2015

Does anyone listen to flow radio? They were talking about Nate maybe moving up to 133 and Christian P. says it was a good idea but the other guy Willie says that it's stupid for Nate to move up and that he lifts way to much and over lifts and shouldn't be that big and thinks the move is dumb and won't work out.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 3, 2015

I think your answer swings on whether Ohio State can sign an elite 125-pounder in the next two classes. Bring in Suriano (doubtful), Lee or Fix, and Rodriguez might be better served to stand pat at 133 or transition to 141. He's in a tough spot, a stud surrounded on either side by super studs.

I'm in the camp believing Tomasello will end his career at 133. Keep in mind that Logan began his career at 125 before jumping up two weights. Humans don't stay small forever.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 3, 2015

NaTo isn't interested in moving up because he lacks discipline. Evidently, it's a tough cut and he doesn't feel he can make it for three more years. The issue--as I see it--is that unless J-Rod or Pletcher can cut to 125, the Bucks are going to have a log jam in the 133-141 range. Jose Rodriguez is a fine wrestler but on paper he's the least talented of the bunch (repeat...I said on paper).

Hence my question as to whether or not he can make 125 for a few years.

Obviously, you grab Spencer Lee if you can but there's no guarantee you get him.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 3, 2015

You can grab Lee... still, he's a couple years away. By they time he's in college he could be more than 125. Career 125s are rare. Ones that do it without shoulder injuries are even rarer.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

I'll add... I think Tomasello is one of the rare ones that has the frame to make 125 all four years without injury, but even he is apparently thinking of moving up.

Dan Harris added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"You can grab Lee... still, he's a couple years away. By they time he's in college he could be more than 125. Career 125s are rare. Ones that do it without shoulder injuries are even rarer."

Why are career 125's more prone to shoulder injuries?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

I'm not sure exactly why; it's more of an observation I've made without much firm reason why. I look at most of the career 125s who are quite good early in their careers, and it seems that there is a higher-than-usual rate of shoulder injuries: Nickerson, Escobedo, McDonough, Delgado... Those are the best 125s of the last 10 years, and all of them suffered from shoulder injuries late in their careers.

Also I'm not sure what Nahshon Garrett's injury was last year--maybe it was shoulder too.

Perhaps the style of wrestling at the lightest weight is particularly straining on the shoulder, and that's made worse by a hard weight cut?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 4, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"
Also I'm not sure what Nahshon Garrett's injury was last year--maybe it was shoulder too.

Perhaps the style of wrestling at the lightest weight is particularly straining on the shoulder, and that's made worse by a hard weight cut?"

your on to something Ben, astute observation. Could the reason be that the lightest guys during their whole careers are wrestling in practice often vs bigger stronger workout partners ???

► Add to the Discussion