Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kyle Lawson to Wisconsin
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 4, 2015

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/35359-Kyle-Lawson-Verbals-to-Wisconsin#.VepDMhHBzGc

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 4, 2015

I'll start the conversation: Ben Jordan, Isaac Jordan and Ryan Taylor have all been Graham recruits who have gone to Wisconsin and earned AA honors. Kyle Lawson is headed there next. That's a lot of talent leaving Ohio for Madison. Should the Buckeyes be fighting harder for some of these guys? Is Barry Davis simply handing out fulls? Why aren't more Graham studs heading to Columbus?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on September 5, 2015

"Graham recruits"?
Heck, on Yappi that would start a war!
Maybe Wisconsin recruits would be better?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 5, 2015

Hank,
Barry Davis works SPG, has great relationship there, u said yourself the SPG kids whove gone there make AA. And of course Wisc has a tradition going back to the Jordan bros. (And Lawson up to now was SPG of course, now moved to Olentangy Liberty.)

i went down to the Blair dual a few years ago at SPG, i walk in, there sits Barry Davis in front row, he jumps up and we talk, he is excited to be there, he has enthusiasm, he is authentic, i like Barry.

Of course Barry is one of college wrestlings all-time great lower wts too, 3X NCAA champ, beat Joe McFarland for one. -- and the kids cant all fit on ohio states team so there u are. Wisc a likely choice. Good school academically as well, beautiful campus, college town, so that scholarship full or partial is worth alot.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

Bob: I understand your point. But add in the guys that have gone to Virginia Tech (Brascetta and Neibert) plus losing out on Marinelli and it just seems as if Ohio State is missing on a lot of great talent from Graham. Maybe these schools are offering more or zeroing in faster on guys Ohio State might want (many plausible explanations in play here). Still, one would like to see Ohio State getting more of these guys to come. They're in state and they're really, really good.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

well kids want to start, so theres that angle in wrestling, and $$ counts, theres so little of it to go around, gotta get what u can. -- No doubt Marinelli was big blow to Ryan i'm sure.

depending whether ohio st gets Hall or not, Marinelli loss will be forgotten or will be a big miss long remembered if ohio doesnt get Hall.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

What weight does Hall project?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

I wouldn't trade Bo and Micah (and hopefully Rocky) for Marinelli and Lawson.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

tOSU puts alot of their scholarship dollars in their #1 recruits and that leaves little money for depth or potential starters in the next couple of years. With 9.9 scholarships and 10 starters, not much wiggle room.

Hopefully tOSU gets in the recruiting position like PSU or IA were wrestling families are willing to absorb more cost (ie: 65%/35%) of attending tOSU vs attending other schools that would absorb that same cost. When that happens, then more top in state talent will remain in OH.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

i'm wondering why he committed after only his soph year? whats the hurry? cant sign a letter of intent for another 14 months, so theres no firm schol offer as a matter of record. -- puzzling.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i'm wondering why he committed after only his soph year? whats the hurry? cant sign a letter of intent for another 14 months, so theres no firm schol offer as a matter of record. -- puzzling."

You mean "on paper offer", lol. The trend of committing early seems to be on the rise and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on September 6, 2015

Didn't LogieBear commit as a sophomore, with some media refusing to report it?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Graham has 2 two predominant pipelines for colleges with those being Wisconsin and Virginia Tech. Remember both Jordan brothers went to Wisconsin.

Bo was the first recruit out of SPG that went to Ohio State. Marinelli originally committed there but reversed course and chose Iowa.

It wasn't too long ago we were saying the same thing about St. Ed's. In reality tOSU has only gotten 3 out of there and only 2 saw the mat (L. Palmer and Martin).

So I'm not going to read much into the Graham guys going elsewhere.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

i gotta be real, Marinelli loss will be huge if ohio st doesnt get Hall. Cant lose a in-state guy like that in a wt we can use.

(from st Eds under Ryan, Nemec too along with 2 Palmers, Mark Martin, i forget anyone?)

i have high hopes for Kolin Moore, anxious to see him, buckeyes may have struck gold. The 3 we just brought in incl KeShawn and Myles Martin will all do well, 2 might start this season.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/35453-Ohio-State-Champ-Brent-Moore-Commits#.VfIjQxFViko

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next