Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee has Shoulder Surgery
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Interesting news.

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/wrestling/9062028-74/lee-shoulder-bradley#axzz3lJ2imFQV

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Will this have recruiting implications? Do programs see this as a red flag and back off a little? Is he likely to become more available?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Will this have recruiting implications? Do programs see this as a red flag and back off a little? Is he likely to become more available?"

Nope - to both questions.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

I would say it certainly does. His surgery isn't just a small fix, like a scope. A labrum tear can be significant. And he's going to be out for quite some time and reinjury is a serious concern. Fortunately, in this case, it happened early enough in his HS career that he has time to bounce back before he has to commit.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Having had this surgery done it's not a quick return. He was on pace to be a 4x Ironman champ and 4x PA state champ undefeated at that too. Such a shame I do hope he is able to return in February and March for the state series.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"I would say it certainly does. His surgery isn't just a small fix, like a scope. A labrum tear can be significant. And he's going to be out for quite some time and reinjury is a serious concern. Fortunately, in this case, it happened early enough in his HS career that he has time to bounce back before he has to commit."

No coach worth a box of mat tape would back off recruiting this kid. He just teched his way through the Junior Worlds WITH a torn labrum and he could have been wrestling in the Cadet division. I would say he is worth taking a chance on.....

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

He's done. Stick a fork in him.

ps: Dan Strope - please stop disrespecting mat tape and/or the box it is contained in. I won't stand for it any longer.

pps: I agree with Brady.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Time will tell. But if you ask anyone on earth that's ever actually had this particular surgery, they'll tell you firsthand the mountain he has to climb before him. He's not only more suceptible to reinjury. Now he's got increased risk of dislocation and other injuries. Even with optimum healing and rehabilitation he doesn't have an injury free joint. The kid is a stud, no doubt. But this will plague him in the years ahead.

Last edited by Chris Shepherd on September 11, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 11, 2015

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"No coach worth a box of mat tape would back off recruiting this kid. He just teched his way through the Junior Worlds WITH a torn labrum and he could have been wrestling in the Cadet division. I would say he is worth taking a chance on....."

Time will tell. But if you ask anyone on earth that's ever actually had this particular surgery, they'll tell you firsthand the mountain he has to climb before him. He's not only more suceptible to reinjury. Now he's got increased risk of dislocation and other injuries. Even with optimum healing and rehabilitation he doesn't have an injury free joint. The kid is a stud, no doubt. But this will plague him in the years ahead.[/quote]

Didn't we recently discuss the number of light weights who had bad shoulder injuries (Nickerson, McDonough, Delgado, etc...)?

Very interesting comments all around.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on September 11, 2015

I had this injury and wrestled a couple years with it before surgery. Since the surgery, I have re-torn it and di it to my other shoulder. It can really be a menacing problem for a guy wanting to compete at the highest levels. Although I am still hitting some pretty slick moves on my 106 and 113 on a daily basis!

Hopefully the procedure and rehab get him back to full strength.

► Add to the Discussion