Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Discussion Topic: kyle snyder..WORLD CHAMP
Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 29, 2015

Zzzzziiinnnngg!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 29, 2015

Oh, I agree that 7th is bad. But my point was more to the "we need to go freestyle only" crowd - it will not guarantee a move up the chain, and then I cited a slew of countries that it is not working for.

That's all.

ps: a friend of mine played rugby for BGSU in the mid-90s. Good stuff. Similarly, while in Australia in 2005 on a mission trip we went to a local watering hole to feel out the locals. We watched Aussie rules football. Not much difference. And Fosters is piss. But whatevs.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on September 30, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Oh, I agree that 7th is bad. But my point was more to the "we need to go freestyle only" crowd - it will not guarantee a move up the chain, and then I cited a slew of countries that it is not working for.."

Many of the countries you cited are no bigger than some of our States. and some of the larger ones you listed aren't really known to be countries that are strong in Wrestling.Example,Texas is huge but is not known to be a wrestling state.

Every year somebody does a list on which state produces the most Division 1 college all-americans. Time and time again Pennsylvania's is at the top, producing most all Americans. Then a thread starts on a forum on why that so?the general agreement is usually pennsylvania wrestlers work more top bottom and that our Ohio refs are holding us back because they call stalling too soon. my point being we all practice folkstyle and yet some seem to come to the top more than others. So we can sit around here and complain about the refs or we can adopt a system that's going to give our wrestlers from Ohio better chance to All American.

This is the same thing that's happening at international level.We're not practicing the skill sets needed to be as successful at the international level as we should be.We are country a with a deep history of Wrestling yet we've average sixth at the World Championships for the past 15 years. To add insult to injury we have been losing two countries that have a population from 3 to 10 million and are impoverished.If "The"Ohio State lost to an Div 3 school from Louisiana just once, they fire the whole coaching staff.

So to me saying, it would not give us any advantage if we switched over to freestyle, is like saying we don't need to focus on our mat wrestling to be more successful in the NCAA's.

Also I use the rugby example because rugby just got put in the Olympics as wrestling was being threatened to be kicked out. Not one folkstyle fan has said, how a divided fan base is good for our sport or why it doesn't hurt us.

Most football fans don't watch rugby just as many folkstyle fans don't watch freestyle and Greco. How do we get on the same page,how do we promote the sport to get that fan base?

BTW I love what you and Sean do with,Inside the Circle I think it's great for the sport!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8